Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

My interview experience

desi_2004,

Here is my interview experience in dallas DO.

I reached the DO about an hour early than my scheduled interview time and tried to get in. I was stopped at the entrance and was told to return 30 mints before my scheduled interview time. This was mentioned in the interview letter and they do follow it strictly. At the entrance to the bldg, i was asked if i was carrying a cell phone (Had kept it in the car as i know they do not allow them into the DO bldg), asked to go thru the metal detector and my interview letter was stamped for time of entry and was asked to deposit it into a mail slot where all interview letters are to be deposited. I did this and waited to be called for the interview. There were about 20 other folks waiting to be called for naturalization interview.

At exactly my scheduled interview time, my name was called (you need to pay attention as they may not pronounce your name as you normally would :) ) and was taken into the adjudicators office. There was absolutely no small talk and the officer was all business. This was little un-nervering as i was already a little nervous. As soon as we entered his office, i was asked to raise my right hand, take oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth and then asked to take a seat. I was carring a big file folder, i got out my copy of application form i had sent.
Before the adjudicator began, i told him, i have a few typo's and need to correct them. He said he will get to it. I was asked for my Passport,GC,driver's license and Social security card. I was fortunately carring my SS card so take note to carry it. He made sure my name was the same in all of them and made note on the fom that name verified against all 4 id's. Then he went over all of the questions in the form and verified my answers. when it came to number of trips outside US, i told him i have had trips after the application was submitted. He asked me to make corrections on the form, but i had printed revelent pages of the n-400 form updating this information and so he just pulled out those pages from my form and added the new pages to the form. He verified all the dates against the entry stamps in my passport. I had put yellow stickys to on pages where he can find those entry stamps so that was quick. On the question of have i ever been arrested/cited, i told him i have had traffic tickets. (I had answered this question as NO). He said i should have answered yes and asked me to to tell approximate dates for traffic citations. I told him i was advised by the help line (USCIS toll free number) to answer the way i did about traffic tickets. He said that is fine and minor traffic tickets have no bearing on my application. He updated my application form and changed my answer from NO to YES and wrote down the approximate years of traffic citations. He went over all the answers in my application and at the end asked me if i was ready to take the complete oath of alligence, to which i replied yes. He filled out the last setion in the form where he noted the number of changes made to the form and the number of enclosures. As he was doing this asked me 6 history/civics quistions straight out of the standard 100. As i answered first 6 correctly, he did not ask me any more. Gave me the sheet on which the 6 question were printed, on which there was a simple sentence written in english. I read that sentence and then was asked to write a simple sentence, which i did. When this was happening, he looked up and updated some information on the computer (i could not see what he was looking or updating) and then said everything looks fine and congratulated me that i have passed the history/civics test. He printed out a sheet of paper which stated this fact and that i had come for the interview. At this point i asked him if i have been recommended by him for Naturalization. He said yes and i then requested for a earliest date. I have been give march 3 week as date of Naturalization. That's it. It took about 20 mints for the interview. So interview was no big deal. BTW i was carring a whole bunch of documentation and was ready for any question. Things i carried were
1. Letter for Selective service commision stating that i do not have to register.
2. Certified copy from Dept of public safety about my driving record being clean.
3. All documentation pertaining to my traffic tickets+court orders+defensive driving completion certificates.
4. To prove my residency in dallas county, utility bills, phone bills, lease papers, pay stubs all for past 2 years.
5. Transcripts from IRS which prove i have paid taxes for last 5 years. I also has left the actual tax returns for all 5 years in my car, just in case. Cannot be overprepared :p
6. Date of birth certificate
7. Copy of the application form i had submitted.
8. 2 photograps (full face) as they has changed from 3/4 face which is what i had submitted with my application. I was not asked for these new pictures so will use them for my passport :D

Hope this helps. It is easy for me to say now, after the interview, not to worry, the interview is a breeze. Actually the night before the interview i had not slept a minute and was tossing and turning for the big day.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Umesh

I am ecstatic! Dallas DO seems to be moving allot faster than the website shows.

I got my interview notice today for April 5th 2005 - received 2 months after my PD date!

Timeline is as follows:

PD: January 3rd 2005
FD: February 1st 2005
Interview: Early April 2005
Oath: ??

Last edited by a moderator:
This question is for Dallas DO. If I understand correctly, it appears that ceremonies are held at different dates for different counties. Does anyone know what the dates are for Tarrant county after April?

Also, what is the difference between an Administrative ceremony, and a Judicial ceremony? Does judicial mean you can go to a Federal Judge on the same day to be sworn in?

Thanks for the info!

PD: January 3rd 2005
FD: February 1st 2005
Rcvd Interview Letter: March 2nd 2005
Interview: Early April 2005
Oath: ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Zuleron!

Dallas DO seems to have picked up the pace, so you should hear something about FP very shortly.

our timeline in dallas

Hi All,

I am a new visitor to this site and indeed it is useful. I am on h1b and my husband has applied for the citizenship. The timeline is as below in Dallas.

Application Date: 01/2005
FingerPrint Date: 02/2005
Interview Date : 04/2005 (got letter in march for the interview next month)

We are happy with the speed and hope that we get the oath soon after interview so that I get free from the H1b situation :), really looking forward to that....

I completed my iterview at the Dallas DO. The interview was a breeze - almost an anti-climax. It took approx 15 minutes. I was allowed into the building exactly 1/2 hour before the interview. Not allowed to take in cell phones. In some 20 minutes or so, I was called in. He first asked me to take the oath, and then my name, address, DOB, Height, asked if I had traveled after filing the app (which was No), and asked me most of the Yes/No questions at the end of the app - more or less went through the full application and comparing my oral answers to what was written in the app.

After that he asked me 7 questions (all 7 from the 100 questions bank) that seemed like were randomly picked by the computer - he first printed it out and put a check mark against each Q as I answered correctly. Asked me to read a sentence and write a sentence in English ("I drive a Blue car to work" - I told him that I actually do drive a Blue car! - Laughs). He congratulated me and said that he was recommending me, put in a few stamps, signatures on the app, and told me that my county oath dates are not out yet and so will get the oath date via mail. I asked him if all name check, FP checks were in order and he said Yes. He congratulated me, shook my hands, and we were done.

desi_2004

Aug 02 2004: Mailed N400 app
Aug 03 2004: Receipt date/Priority date
Sep 09 2004: Finger Printing date
Feb 06 2005: Recd Interview letter (for Mid-March)

From some of the timelines posted recently, it seems that the Dallas DO has gotten faster than what I experienced.

Congrats Desi!

What county do you reside in? I did not realize that oath ceremonies are by county. I have my interview in early April - Dallas DO too - I guess all oath dates for counties are different.

Denton. I am really not sure if there is any county-wise restriction - I am just stating what the officer said to me.

My time line in Dallas

My long journey is over today.

I received my naturalization certificate at Oath ceremony in Plano.

Here is the complete time line.

RD - 07/01/2004
FP - 08/2004
Interview - 12/2004
Oath Ceremony -3/21/2005

Good luck to every one on this forum. This forum has been of great help in going through journey.

Also if you are not changing name then you could get scheduled in any county in DFW area. If you are changing name then it has to be judicial ceremony (Judge presiding over ceremony) and has to be in the county you live in.

longjourney said:
Also if you are not changing name then you could get scheduled in any county in DFW area. If you are changing name then it has to be judicial ceremony (Judge presiding over ceremony) and has to be in the county you live in.
This is not true. I am changing my name during this process. and I am scheduled for oath at Nashville which is 5 hours from where I live.

Congratulations LongJourney!

RD: 01/20/05
FP: ??

So I am still waiting for fingerprints. It has been 2 months since RD and no word. I think that they are transferring my file from the Arlington, VA DO coz that's where I was before. I am still hopeful because I have seen some timelines where there was a long delay between RD and FP and then once the FP was done, the interview came soon after. I hope this will be my story.
Good Luck to all others still waiting.

Congrats Longjourney!

Thanks for the info regarding the oath ceremonies, I'm glad to hear that one can go to any county for oath ceremony.

Did you have a name change?

Hello All,

I applied on 3rd March at Dallas and recd acknowledgement on 18th Mar. I have not recd FP notice. I see that pretty much everyone who applied in Dallas area had recd FP notice by this time.

Any advice please?

My Interview

Guys,
I had my interview today, glad I was approved.
The officer was not friendly :mad: and I was not able to ask her any additional questions like my finger print status. All I was able to do is get the approval(N652 form) and say thanks. She did tell me I was approved and will recieve a oath letter within a month.

My timing were as follows :
PD : 01/06/05
FD : 02/03/05
Interview : 04/05/05
Oath : ??? :confused:

Does anyone know when is the next oath ceromany in DFW ?