Daily needs and legal issues until permanent residency is accepted

palyhill

Registered Users (C)
Thank you for providing lots information about immigration. Here I like to discuss about few common problems and get information from the people going through this process. I am on B1 status and I already applied to AOS on family basis and my biometric interview is on 31st July 2008 on St Louis, Missouri (MO). I live in St Louis, MO.
My questions are following?
1. How many days it will take to get employment authorization document? (After biometric or notice date)
2. How to apply for Social security No? When I can apply for that?
3. How to apply for driver’s license? When I can apply for that? And what is the procedure for that?
4. Can I drive in my home country driver’s license? (Indian and its in English) And do I need an International drives permit?

Thank you

Thank you for providing lots information about immigration. Here I like to discuss about few common problems and get information from the people going through this process. I am on B1 status and I already applied to AOS on family basis and my biometric interview is on 31st July 2008 on St Louis, Missouri (MO). I live in St Louis, MO.
My questions are following?
1. How many days it will take to get employment authorization document? (After biometric or notice date)
2. How to apply for Social security No? When I can apply for that?
3. How to apply for driver’s license? When I can apply for that? And what is the procedure for that?
4. Can I drive in my home country driver’s license? (Indian and its in English) And do I need an International drives permit?

Thank you

1. Best case: anywhere up to 90 days after your application was received, worst case: >90 days.
2. at the local social security office (find it at http://www.ssa.gov/), you need your EAD to prove you're eligible to work, so not before EAD in hand.
3. at your local DMV, after you get a SSN. Exact procedures vary by state
4. If I recall correctly, you can drive up to 30(?) days with your "native" DL, but i'm not sure how strict this is enforced. International permit.... you can get it but chances are it's useless (I've had one in the past, and all you get is a blank stare if you hand it over with your "native DL").

thank you

Thank you for the information.
My AOS is accepted on July 1. I am recently completed biometrics on 31st July.

1. I seen information on DMV.org website that a visitor can drive with his foreign license up to 1 year. Even though I asked our local DMV office but they don’t know about that and after I show the print out of that they said you can.
2. My B2 visa is recently expired (I mean I 94) which is after I received notice of AOS. I like to know I am still considering visitor? OR what is my status here?
3. Unfortunately I have to wait for driver’s license until I get my EAD? It’s a tough thing coz I am travelling here a lot for interviews.
4. My I 485 and I 765 shown up online at uscis.gov website the day I completed biometrics. But still my I 130 and I 131 are not there? When can I expect them online? My receipt notice from MSC from Lee summit, MO.

Thank you

1. If the DMV website says 1 year, i'm not going to argue
2. technically you're out of status, but it doesn't matter because you have FB AoS pending, whatever you do, just don't leave the US until AoS is complete
3. Well you need a SSN to get a DL, and EAD to get SSN, not much you can do - just be sure you're native DL is at least valid and follow DMV guidelines
4. Cases do not always pop up online together - give it some time, they will get there.

2. technically you're out of status, but it doesn't matter because you have FB AoS pending, whatever you do, just don't leave the US until AoS is complete
You are not out of status. If your app was filed prior to your B2 expiring, then you are automatically moved to C9 status. This status allows you to stay in the US until the adjudication of the AOS. Your valid C9 status is what gives you the right to get an EAD.

3. Well you need a SSN to get a DL, and EAD to get SSN, not much you can do - just be sure you're native DL is at least valid and follow DMV guidelines
Driving laws are state-specific. You're better off checking your state's DMV website (which is official) rather than the unofficial DMV.org. You can call your DMV, or let us know what state you're asking about and someone on the board may know. Some states require SSN, some require valid immigration status, some accept international driving permits, some don't, etc....

K1 -> I-485 -> I-751 -> N-400

Filing I-130/I-485 for parent:
DO: Santa Ana / SC: California Service Center

5/13/08 - Parent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 mailed to Chicago Lockbox
5/22/08 - checks cashed, receipt numbers from Missouri MSC (NBC)
5/25/08 - Notice dates for all notices
5/29/08 - LUD I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 (received and pending at NBC)
6/07/08 - Fingerprint appointment letter received
6/12/08 - Fingerprint appointment date
6/12/08 - LUD I-485/I-765 (no change, still received and pending at NBC)
7/29/08 - LUD I-485 - RFE sent out, case on hold
7/30/08 - LUD I-485 (no change, still on hold for RFE)
8/04/08 - RFE received, request for tax return, 87 days to respond
8/05/08 - Sent RFE response to NBC (regular mail)

thank you

Thank you. I appreciate your response here and it glad to see people helping a lot.
I live in Missouri (MO). I went to local DMV office and I asked them about Missouri state driver’s license. They said that either I have to take SSN or a letter from social security office stating that I am not eligible for SSN together with my I-94. But my I-94 is expired last month. I guess I am not eligible for at least Missouri state driver’s license. Is there any other state I can get? Is it legal to get from another state? Is it affects my immigration benefits? I guess that is something making a false statement that I am living in other state. As I attending few interviews in different parts of USA for my Residency training (I mean Medicine study) a US driver’s license is very important. That is the only way one can get vehicle insurance and rental car.

I have an International driver’s permit from India and which expires on August 20 (one year from issue). My original Indian license has validity up to 2015 and which is in English. And I am in US from 1 year on September 5, 2008 and I have only AOS receipts accepted on July 9, 2008. I-94 is already expired. So it will be 90 days on October 9, 2008 after receiving receipts of AOS (ie i expected to receive EAD).

I have few concerns.
1. Can I drive after my International driver permit expires? Can I drive after 1 year coming to US?
I already involved in 2 accidents and in both incidents it was others fault so they didn’t ask my license. But I don’t think it is worth to take any chance here.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any other state I can get? Is it legal to get from another state? Is it affects my immigration benefits? I guess that is something making a false statement that I am living in other state.

Do NOT do this. There is a person just a few days ago whose I-485 is being denied for this very reason.

Wait until you get your EAD and SSN. That should get you a DL.

medical insurance

Can someone get medical insurance without social security number? Please someone can tell some more details about it like which is the convenient policy?

Can someone get medical insurance without social security number? Please someone can tell some more details about it like which is the convenient policy?

Insurance rules/costs vary significantly by state. The major insurance carriers for a given zip code will be listed here.

http://hprc.ncqa.org/frameset.asp

You'll have to call them/visit their web sites for info. Some only offer insurance through employers in certain geographies, not direct to individuals.

-ML

Now filing I-130/I-485 for parent...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Finally my spouse extended her insurance to cover me. It did not require any SSN. I have to provide my name, DOB and address. Thank you for your helpful responses

Hi. Just for curiosity I like to know this information if someone know it. Is there any benefit of having any other citizenship if you are citizen of USA (for an ordinary person)?

What if your country of birth refuses to consider you anything else but their citizen and refuses to issue you a visa on your US passport. How will you enter your country of birth now?

Is there any benefit of having any other citizenship if you are citizen of USA (for an ordinary person)?

hi triple citizen

Yes, that is absolutely true. I never thought about that. I wonder there are many benefits from having multiple citizenships. Well this is just for curiosity and know some information. Thank you for your prompt response.

Other advantages I can think of:

- visa-free unlimited stay at all countries you are a citizen of
- citizen-only priviliges in each country (voting, property rights, etc)

Disadvantages include:

- potential tax liability to each country
- militiary service requirements at each country
- if you are in a country that you hold citizenship, your other countries of citizenship cannot offer consular protections to you

-ML

Now filing I-130/I-485 for parent...

ml boston
Thank you in advance.
Let’s go to driver’s license which is most bothering me right know. It is almost very difficult to go out unless you can afford a taxi. I am sure I can not afford it with $3-4/ mile. Please it will be nice if you share some information about this.
I checked official Missouri dmv.gov website. It says like this to obtain a new drivers license.
1. Proof of lawful presence
2. Proof of identity
3. Proof of residency

And for no.1 it says applicants for adjustment of status can show immigration documents including status and ONE of the following EAD, Passport. Here I have I 485 receipt and passport. Is this receipt is a document shows immigration status?
No 2 can be SSN or letter from SSA that not eligible for SSN. I guess we can get that statement.
No 3 is utility bill or recent bank statements. I have them. This is the only thing I have properly which they can understand!!!!!!!!!
I try to attach that PDF file here from Missouri DMV
I just bother it is really worth it to have a DL if I am eligible for that
Thank you

I don't know, never been to Missouri.

My guess is, since Missouri is a red state (politically), they are probably very strict on drivers licenses.

If DMV is close by, you could try to apply for a DL with your 485 receipt and non-eligible SSI letter. But I have doubts that they'll accept it. Try calling them and asking so you don't waste the trip?

Sounds like you should be eligible once you get EAD & SSN.

-ML

Hi. Thanks in advance. I like to post a question here and I am sorry if it is not the appropriate place to ask. I like to visit Canadian side of Niagara Falls with my spouse (us passport). I like to know that can I get a single/multiple entry visitor’s visa to Canada if I have EAD and Reentry permit. (At present I am applied for adjustment of status) Can I apply at POE at buffalo OR I have to apply in Canadian consulate in India? What documents they might ask (I have Indian passport with US visa)? Are they asking any financial documents? About $10,000 of recent bank statements are enough? Thank you