Curiousgeorge TN->GC link

A few years ago I found the curiousgeorge posts very helpful in understanding the TN to GC process.
Thanks nelsona for updating the link.
Although almost all the info is the same today in 2019, I would like to point out a few updates.

In 2017 USCIS updated their 30/60/90 policy of immigration intent to a straight 90 day rule.
For TN to GC that means you must wait 90 days from your last entry into the USA before filing your I-485. (i recall the curiousgeorge thread mentions the old 30 day rule). Google the term "USCIS 90 rule" for more explanation.

In 2018 the wait time for EAD and AP has increased to 4 to 6 months. (was normally 2 to 4 months).
Check USCIS processing times posted on USCIS website ( https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ ) and select I-765 at the National Benefits Center. The processing times do go up and down over time.

If you frequently travel outside the US for business or pleasure, this will make it more difficult. There will be 9 month or more stretch that you cannot leave the US. Waiting for your EAD and Advance Parole document will be nerve wracking, as USCIS processing times do fluctuate.

Do we have any users that have recently gone through the TN to GC process that can post their time lines and experiences?

Thank you Nelsona!
I remember bookmarking the original link last year and could not find it shortly afterwards. Currently on a TN and starting out on the GC process now.

Thanks again!

I am working as a Software Senior Consultant . In the same area, I have 11+ years of experience. I have bachelors degree in Instrumentation and control Engineering. I did the Canadian equivalency through WES. My bachelors degree has computer subjects as well. Will I encounter any problem when apply for TN visa with my education . Much appreciate on senior guidance in my question

Can I still renew by TN with an approved i130 if my priority date isn't current as I am a born Indian with Canadian citizenship? Will I have to mention about my approved i-130 while renewing my TN?

A few years ago I found the curiousgeorge posts very helpful in understanding the TN to GC process.
Thanks nelsona for updating the link.
Although almost all the info is the same today in 2019, I would like to point out a few updates.

The other change is the issuance of three year TN visas. That changes the advice on concurrently filing i-485 IMO.

3 yr TN was changed many years ago, and had already changed when that post was created.

3 yr TN was changed many years ago, and had already changed when that post was created.

From the post:

Note for EB2 and EB1 applicants with current priority dates:
Even if your priority date is current, then if the current processing times at your service center are more than 9 months to process an I-140, then you have no choice, you can't file concurrently when adjusting from a TN. (math: 9 months to process I-140 + 3 months to process EAD = 12 months which is the maximum time allowable on a single TN) In this scenario, your TN will expire before you get an EAD in your hand, since your EAD application would be put on hold until your I-140 is approved, and since you filed an I-485, you're not eligible for another TN. A person in H1b would not run into this problem.

Hello Nelsona and esteemed knowledgeable people.

I am currently on a TN and I also want to file for my GC, I am going to work remotely for a couple of months in Canada.

With it be a problem if I want to return back to US after visiting Canada for couple of months, will I be questioned by the officers when I want to return about my GC application that’s ongoing, will they cancel my TN?

Please read the posted thread. Until you file I-485, you are fine. They might question why you have been in Canada for a couple of months, if you are supposed to be currently working on your TN, but that has nothing to do with any GC process.

Hello @nelsona and Team,

I have a question, I just got the first stage of my eb2 niw approved by USCIS (i-140). I have not started the next process which is submitting and making payment for the NVC processing. Now the question, I am a Canadian and due to family reasons I will need to travel back to Canada, and planning on returning around March 2024, the NVC application is planned for submission after my return, will there be an issue with the officers granting me entry, if yes will my current TN be cancelled?
PS: My employer is okay with me working remotely for the period.

Once you submit your I-485, you will not be able to re-enter on TN. So, you will need to wait until you get Advanced Parole before resuming travelling. So if you're planning to go to canada, do NOT file I-485 until you return, and are able to stay in US for the several months that it takes to process Advanced Parole.