Consolidated NSC I-485 Tracker

These news were published a month ago... See "12/05/2006: USCIS Proposes to Operate Centralized Background Check Systems to Reduce Backlogs Effective 01/03/2007" on http://www.immigration-law.com/Archive XIV.html

It is not very clear if the system will help with our problem. Our problem is FBI background check sitting at FBI, while that system just consolidated name check information in one database in USCIS.

Miamivice4u said:
Law Offices of Rebecca S. Whitehouse
11782 Jollyville Road - P.O. Box 201420 - Austin, Texas 78720-1420
(512)266-6344 Phone - (512)266-6336 Fax
becky@rebeccawhitehouse.com

USCIS Proposes Establishing Background Check Service System of Records

USCIS has proposed adding a new system of records called the “Background Check Service,” as a centralized repository of the consolidated data on all background check requests and results. Authorized USCIS representatives would be able to request background checks and access data stored in the system of records during the adjudication process of pending applications. The proposed effective date would be January 3, 2007.

I agree with igorch. This new system does not like something that will help, at least in short term, for people who are alredy in the queue.
It may provide more visibility and save a trip for Infopass if they decide to let you know your status online but I do not see it speeding up FBI.
I worry that introduction may just slow down USCIS in the short term.

Where would USCIS send GC if I-485 approved?

Does anybody know where would USCIS send GC if I-485 get approved? Would it be home address or attorney's office?

I assume that it would be the attorney's office. It's very strange that my lawyer's assistant told me that it would be my home address. Based on that she insists that I should pay off all the fee balance.

My concern is that the attorney's office won't provide additional legal advice should any unexpected situation arise during the I-485 processing, especially if I already pay all $.

Any information will be appreciated.

They will mail you at home address. I have never heard of anyone receiving GC at attorney.

nylc4yr said:
Does anybody know where would USCIS send GC if I-485 get approved? Would it be home address or attorney's office?

I assume that it would be the attorney's office. It's very strange that my lawyer's assistant told me that it would be my home address. Based on that she insists that I should pay off all the fee balance.

My concern is that the attorney's office won't provide additional legal advice should any unexpected situation arise during the I-485 processing, especially if I already pay all $.

Any information will be appreciated.

Lud

I noticed my LUD on I-765 and I-131 changed to today's date. However, no approval? Based on other people who applied around the same time as me (late October) and got their I-765 and/or I-131 approved recently, and I only got an LUD should I be worried?

Please share your opinions. Thanks

USCIS looking into FBI slowness ?

Just found an interesting piece of info:

4. Why are security checks on I-485 cases taking so long and what can we do to speed up the process? Sometimes the checks take more than 2 years and sometimes the application is approved within months. What is the holdup? How many cases are sitting on your files awaiting clearance and how often are they reviewed?

The issue concerning FBI Name Checks has been a long standing problem throughout USCIS, not only at the California Service Center. At the HQ's level, personnel have been assigned to assist the FBI in the processing of the Name Checks. The California Service Center conducts bi-weekly sweeps to identify recent cases that have cleared to ensure timely adjudication.

The document is interesting in some other aspects as well. This also means that we should see bi-weekly spikes in approvals, and silence in between. Source: http://www.region12.nafsa.org/NAFSA Las Vegas Q&A 11-2-06 sent to Judy M for posting.pdf

High-tech is bad for FBI

Another interesting ones:

USCIS officials said that it often takes a long time (as much as 4 to 6 months) to clear the names of immigrant workers with high-tech backgrounds who are applying to change their status to lawful permanent resident, because, since September 11, the FBI has become especially interested in carefully vetting aliens with such backgrounds.

Source: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d0620.pdf

As of May 2006, USCIS reported 235,802 FBI name checks pending, with approximately 65 percent (153,166) of those cases pending more than 90 days and approximately 35 percent (82,824) pending more than one year.

In addition, USCIS systems do not automatically indicate when a delayed
name check is complete and the case can be adjudicated. Often, this leads to a situation where the validity of other checks expire before USCIS reviews the case. Those checks then need to be reinitiated, adding financial and time costs for applicants and USCIS.

Source: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/CISOmbudsman_AnnualReport_2006.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I freaked out prematurely - I-765 Card production ordered

Last night at 11:12pm I got emails that my EAD was approved (card production ordered). They are doing something...

zgubi said:
I noticed my LUD on I-765 and I-131 changed to today's date. However, no approval? Based on other people who applied around the same time as me (late October) and got their I-765 and/or I-131 approved recently, and I only got an LUD should I be worried?

Please share your opinions. Thanks

FP notice not received after 4 month I485 Received

My I-485 RD is 9/11/2006. But I still haven't got finger print notice yet? Anyone has the same experience ?

EAD approved on 10/30/06
I140 approved on 11/31/06

I485 status is still "Case received and pending"
LUD on I485: 10/3/06 12/22/06 12/25/06 12/27/06 1/2/06

My RD is 7/31/2006 and I have yet to receive FP

infpass desk person informed me that my name check is pending and that is the reason. I can only open an official inquiry six months after my 485 is filed.

BoyJeo said:
My I-485 RD is 9/11/2006. But I still haven't got finger print notice yet? Anyone has the same experience ?

EAD approved on 10/30/06

bigbang - Most have got FP notices, I really doubt if FP notices are sent out only after name check is cleared. You may consider taking another infopass to get a second opinion.

bigbang2001 said:

infpass desk person informed me that my name check is pending and that is the reason. I can only open an official inquiry six months after my 485 is filed.

Thanks for information. Looking at the available data there seems to be no connection between namecheck and FP.

I will do what you suggest and update the forum.

eb1_nsc said:
bigbang - Most have got FP notices, I really doubt if FP notices are sent out only after name check is cleared. You may consider taking another infopass to get a second opinion.

bigbang2001 said:

When I asked the infopass person, he stated that FP notice doesn't depend on Name Check. But he can't make any inquiry before 180 days after my 485.

Marusia, which part of Russia are you from? Are you in high-tech industry? My friend was telling me that different parts of Russia have different response times for FBI NC. Also, some governmental official indicated that high-tech people attract more attention from FBI, which results in slower processing. I'm in high-tech from St-Petersburg and my NC is pending for 7.5 months.

BTW, take INFOPASS appointment. It does not take much time and generally they can give you more info than over the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
BoyJeo said:

EAD approved on 10/30/06

I havent received mine FP notice either :(

Congrats!

Congratulations on your EAD approval!

zgubi said:
Last night at 11:12pm I got emails that my EAD was approved (card production ordered). They are doing something...