Citizenship, Naturalization & Immigration No-No's

BJ,

Nice job, interesting there are so many deadbeats out there who are oblivious to the repercussions of false claim to US citizenship.

This one might be of particular interest to forum members, because he is being charged for making a false claim to US citizenship when registering to vote. Which is something that a number of forum members have done.

However, there is more to the story:
Former Morningside student behind bars, accused of lying about citizenship to vote
By Molly Montag | November 4, 2010 - 8:34 pm

Officials say a German teen made quite the transition since coming to Sioux City three months ago, going from freshman at Morningside College to being locked up in a cell at the Dakota County Jail.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office announced Thursday that Christopher Mettin, 19, faces federal charges of falsely claiming U.S. citizenship in order to register to vote and one count of falsely claiming to be a U.S. citizen.

Although the accusations from the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s are interesting, the allegations contained in a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Sioux City are far, far more interesting.

According to the complaint, which you can read by clicking here, officials at Morningside College were the first to alert authorities there might be a problem with Mettin’s citizenship status. You can read the indictment filed against him by clicking here.

The complaint states Morningside terminated Mettin’s student visa because college officials believed he misrepresented himself as a United States citizen.

Mettin presented a fraudulent California driver’s license and fake birth certificate, also from California, during an interview with authorities, the complaint alleges, which he reportedly got while meeting his fiancé in Los Angeles shortly after arriving in this country.

As for his German passport, the complaint alleges Mettin threw that away shortly after arriving in Sioux City “because he does not want to be German anymore.”

He was being held Thursday at the Dakota County Jail in Dakota City, Neb. It might seem odd that Mettin was being held in Nebraska, rather than Sioux City, but I’m told that federal authorities house their prisoners at a variety of local jails.

What will happen if citizenship revoked , already former country Passport surrendered ?

This links very usefull and says that we should just tell the truth .

My question is what will happen to the person being revoked with US citizenship , and already own countrys passport surrendered in this case INDIA . will INDIA re issue the passport to go back to INDIA ?

This one might be of particular interest to forum members, because he is being charged for making a false claim to US citizenship when registering to vote. Which is something that a number of forum members have done.

However, there is more to the story:
They went after him since he was out of status and made several false claims to US citizenship. He pleaded guilty to one count of falsely claiming to be a US citizen, was sentenced to time served in jail (52days) and handed over to ICE. ICE no longer has him in custody suggesting he voluntarily departed the US or was deported.

They went after him since he was out of status and made several false claims to US citizenship. He pleaded guilty to one count of falsely claiming to be a US citizen, was sentenced to time served in jail (52days) and handed over to ICE. ICE no longer has him in custody suggesting he voluntarily departed the US or was deported.

You can actually find him on facebook and read his wall. It seems as if he is still in the US.

You can actually find him on facebook and read his wall. It seems as if he is still in the US.
He's a convicted felon and out of status. I highly doubt that ICE let him remain in the US. Anyone can claim they are in the US on Facebook.

I saw this on his Facebook wall:

[friend's name]: Hey I heard you got out of jail, congrats. What are your plans now?
Mettin: Thanks. I had a good attorney and also the judge seemed to like me. First of all I will get my life back in order and then look what I can do to afford living. I am thinking about registering an LLC in Dellaware and design websites for businesses.

If he's really out and roaming around without a deadline to leave, it must be because his attorney managed to assert his claim to US citizenship based on one or both of his parents having US citizenship when he was born. With him being 19 and naive, he didn't know or care about establishing his citizenship the right way before he got arrested for it.

Or he could be under house arrest with a GPS ankle bracelet while he awaits trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on his Facebook wall:

If he's really out and roaming around without a deadline to leave, it must be because his attorney managed to assert his claim to US citizenship based on one or both of his parents having US citizenship when he was born.
He pleaded guilty and was convicted of one count of false claim to US citizenship. How do you conclude his attorney must managed to assert his claim to US citizenship??
Or he could be under house arrest with a GPS ankle bracelet while he awaits trial.
His case never went to trail since he pleaded guilty and was convicted. He was then remanded into the custody of ICE. He's no longer in their custody, so he must since have been deported. I doubt that ICE would release a convicted felon on the promise of showing up for a future immigration hearing.

How do you conclude his attorney must managed to assert his claim to US citizenship??
I didn't conclude that his attorney actually did that. I said if he's out and roaming around (in America) it must have taken a successful claim of US citizenship to enable him to go free. What would be a better explanation for him being released free in America, if he was actually released free?

Where did you get the information that he pleaded guilty?

I didn't conclude that his attorney actually did that. I said if he's out and roaming around (in America) it must have taken a successful claim of US citizenship to enable him to go free. What would be a better explanation for him being released free in America, if he was actually released free?
Suggesting it must have taken a successful claim to US citizenship to let him go free doesn't make any sense since he actually pleaded guilty to one false claim of US citizenship. There's no conclusive evidence that he's still in the US. Had he been released by ICE after his conviction, the only explanation would be that they released him on the promise to appear at a future immigration hearing (which I doubt they would do for a convicted felon).
Where did you get the information that he pleaded guilty?
PACER.

Suggesting it must have taken a successful claim to US citizenship to let him go free doesn't make any sense since he actually pleaded guilty to one false claim of US citizenship.
I haven't seen anything about him pleading guilty. If I did, I wouldn't have made that speculation of how he got out.

There's no conclusive evidence that he's still in the US.
I didn't say there is. Do you understand the meaning of the word "if"?

Did any one have answer to my quetion . Seniors here ? , what will happen if he revoked his US citizenship and passport and already surrendered his home country passport ,

Did any one have answer to my quetion . Seniors here ? , what will happen if he revoked his US citizenship and passport and already surrendered his home country passport ,

The state department would likely make an agreement with either the host country or another country willing to accept the person.

I answered your question in post #5. OK, maybe I didn't completely answer it because I don't know if PIO or OCI is sufficient to enter India without a passport, like the green card is sufficient to enter the US without a passport. Somebody else here might know that detail.

@Senthil - This is a grey area. Usually when they revoke citizenship they will work with the other government to take you back. Otherwise you will be stateless.
On its own, India will not let you enter without a valid passport from a foreign country (US).
On its own, India will not give you back your citizenship unless you go through OCI/PIO and wait 5 years (similar to green card although you need to have physical presence of only 1 year within these 5 years).
On its own (or as a request), India will not let you renounce the renunciation.
So I guess your treatment (allowed to enter or not) will depend on the circumstances. Usually US will do something to make sure you are not stateless, but on the details ... no idea.

[EDIT/ADD] I presume your indian passport is already canceled at the time of this theoretical question ... if not, you might have other options I can not openly state but are obvious.