Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Thanks for the response guju!
Actually the IO was browsing through the file and he said that he made a mistake that he couldnt get the supervisor to sign before the interview date.He mentioned that this is his mistake.But he assured that its just the matter of signature and it wont take long.I know i cant quote his statement during infopass but i would trust what he said.But i am surprised with the delay in oath letter.I dont have any stays out of usa,no delayed taxes nothing but i dont knw whats going on here.
The only fact which comes to my mind is that i applied based on 90 days rule i.e 90 days before 5 years but my interview date of 12-01-09 is past 5 years time line.But anyways thats a wild guess:)
Somehow i thought may be some one else had a similar scenarion.

My wife's application did not get approved because her fingerprints did not come out right (twice) and she was asked to get police clearance. We got that and submitted last Mon 1/25, but the officer was on leave. On Wed 1/27, we were told by the officer that he has approved the application and the clerk will send the oath letter by mail. Anyone has any experience on how long does it take to receive the oath letter? We wanted to travel to India in the beg of March and I doubt we will be able to make the trip now.

Salsamin - Let me know how things work out for you. My wife and I may just happen to fall in a similar situation.

Thanks for the response guju!
Actually the IO was browsing through the file and he said that he made a mistake that he couldnt get the supervisor to sign before the interview date.He mentioned that this is his mistake.But he assured that its just the matter of signature and it wont take long.I know i cant quote his statement during infopass but i would trust what he said.But i am surprised with the delay in oath letter.I dont have any stays out of usa,no delayed taxes nothing but i dont knw whats going on here.
The only fact which comes to my mind is that i applied based on 90 days rule i.e 90 days before 5 years but my interview date of 12-01-09 is past 5 years time line.But anyways thats a wild guess:)
Somehow i thought may be some one else had a similar scenarion.

It won't hurt if you write a letter directly to the IO who did the interview. The IO's name should be on the N-652 sheet they give after the interview. Enclose a copy of that letter also. Be respectful in language and at the same time, express your concern about not hearing anything from the Chicago DO after your interview. You can also mention very briefly what he said during the interview.

My wife's application did not get approved because her fingerprints did not come out right (twice) and she was asked to get police clearance. We got that and submitted last Mon 1/25, but the officer was on leave. On Wed 1/27, we were told by the officer that he has approved the application and the clerk will send the oath letter by mail. Anyone has any experience on how long does it take to receive the oath letter? We wanted to travel to India in the beg of March and I doubt we will be able to make the trip now.

I am curious how did the officer communicate with you on 1/27 regarding the approval? Did the IO call you directly or was it through Infopass system?

I recently stumbled upon this thread and wanted to let you all know that I am also in a similar situation. I passed my interview on 6th Jan and got the 'recommended for approval' form. Unfortunately my husband's interview was scheduled for the next day. When I mentioend this to the IO (who was extremely nice) he suggested that I wait for the oath letter till his interview is done. He said that my husband could collect both our oath letters next day to ensure the same oath date. He even put a note in my husband's file stating that his IO contact my IO after the interview to ensure the same date. This sounded okay and I agreed. At that time Jan 12th was still available but he wanted to make sure my husband was getting the same date else he said he would give us Jan 20th.

Unfortunately, my husband's IO was very unfriendly the next day. He passed the interview but when he mentioned to her that he wanted the oath letters for both of us, she simply told him that they will combine our files and send them in mail. My husband tried telling her that he was ready to wait and get it, but instead she gave him the form stating that he passed the interview and 'a decision will be sent in mail'. Note that she did not say 'recommended for approval' on his form. I must mention that ours was a very straight forward case- no name change, 5 year employment based, no issues anywhere, no missing docs.

It has been 4 weeks today and I am really frustrated. I haven't called the 1-800 number or done anything yet since they might tell me to wait 90 days. But this is really unfair since all we wanted to do was take the oath together. I cannot believe that they could create a mess when we were so close to getting it all done.

These are our time lines:
Based on 5 year employment:

FP done: 10/17/09
IL recd: 12/8/09:
IL passed (me): 1/6/10
IL passed (him): 1/7/10
OL recd: not yet

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't hurt if you write a letter directly to the IO who did the interview. The IO's name should be on the N-652 sheet they give after the interview. Enclose a copy of that letter also. Be respectful in language and at the same time, express your concern about not hearing anything from the Chicago DO after your interview. You can also mention very briefly what he said during the interview.

Hi spiderman03,Thanks for your response.I wrote a letter to the IO who interviewed me on 31st december and i hand delievered the letter to the Citizenship office receptionist.The receptionist said that she will drop the letter to the IO mail box.
Eventualluy i have made 2 infopass appointments and multiple 1800 calls and recieved the same answer to wait for 90 days.But i am more worried to see other people OL being delieved in 3 weeks time on average.But i guess i have played all the cards so far .

Hi spiderman03,Thanks for your response.I wrote a letter to the IO who interviewed me on 31st december and i hand delievered the letter to the Citizenship office receptionist.The receptionist said that she will drop the letter to the IO mail box.
Eventualluy i have made 2 infopass appointments and multiple 1800 calls and recieved the same answer to wait for 90 days.But i am more worried to see other people OL being delieved in 3 weeks time on average.But i guess i have played all the cards so far .

Salsamin,
You have the choice of approaching local senator/representative's office for help. They have email access to local DO supervisors or higher-ups. Try Senator Dick Durbin's office. His profile is good enough for any federal agency to pay attention. I already did last week. Call the Senator's Chicago office number and ask for Mrs. Sendy Soto, the immigration liason in the senator's office. Downlowd the privacy form from their website, fill it up, write an additional page explaning your case (do NOT indulge in any criticism of USCIS, just praise their work but also express concern with your case at the same time) and fax it to her. Here is his website:

http://durbin.senate.gov/

Under 'services & programs', you will see 'privacy act release form'. Good luck.

Hi Spiderman03,
I appreciate your advise .I faxed the issue along with privacy for the Senator Dick Durbin office yesterday.So lets hope they will help me .
I just got off from 1800 helpdesk and was able to get an SR created for my issue.The eta for response on this sr is 45 days so lets hope dice will roll for me now.
I will keep my status updated.I wish you best of luck with all your things.
Regards,

I am curious how did the officer communicate with you on 1/27 regarding the approval? Did the IO call you directly or was it through Infopass system?

We handed the police report on 1/25 to a clerk who noted our tel numbers and said the officer would give us a call the next day. We did not hear back on 1/26 so we decided to go ourselves and talk to the officer on 1/27. My wife saw the officer come out to get someone and she asked him about her status. He remembered her and said he had approved her case.

sdd

We handed the police report on 1/25 to a clerk who noted our tel numbers and said the officer would give us a call the next day. We did not hear back on 1/26 so we decided to go ourselves and talk to the officer on 1/27. My wife saw the officer come out to get someone and she asked him about her status. He remembered her and said he had approved her case.

sdd

Considering the working environment of USCIS, I say it is very daring to approach the IO like that. :) You should get the OL very soon then.

But this is really unfair since all we wanted to do was take the oath together. I cannot believe that they could create a mess when we were so close to getting it all done.

I hear you! Let us know if you do receive the OL

Hi,

I received my NOA yesterday and when I tried to track my application on the USCIS website using my receipt number (NBC*000xxxxxx) I get the following:

"Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283."

When I called USCIS on the 800 number and I talk to an immigration agent the lady told me that the online system cannot track receipt number with "*" (??? so much for a tracking system). Is this true? Did anyone track his NBC*000... receipt number online before?

Thanks,

Hi all,
I wanted to check with all of you as I have not seen any recent reported activity in here besides few issues. I sent my documents to the NBC (Phoenix) back in Dec23 and after fingerprints back in Jan15 nothing is really happening. I have seen a lot of activity on other DOs but Chicago and definitely their times are much shorter than what I have seen in Chicago. So I wanted to check with all of you. Thanks.

ikhanafer, Same result for me. (Case not found). I saw in few other threads today that they could not find their receipt number either in tracking system. Hope they fix it soon.

Received the OL yesterday for 16th Feb! So it took exactly 5 weeks from interview to receiving the OL.

What a co-incidence! We received our oath letters for 16th Feb as well!!!

What do they do? Wait for a good number of files to pile up before they decide to work on them?

Fingerprint done. One question: There were a few times when a "match warning" flashed in red on the computer screen. Any idea what that means? Thanks.

I got those warnings too and so did my wife. They redid it for some warnings and ignored some. I am not sure what the criteria is.