Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

past travel question

Do we need to carry itinerary of all the past travel in last 5 years for the interview?. I have few of them but can't find all.

--

Does anyone know what is latest Interview Date available for Chicago DO?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we need to carry itinerary of all the past travel in last 5 years for the interview?. I have few of them but can't find all.

--

JoeJoy, did they specifically ask you for the iternary information in the Interview letter?

This information is already stamped in your passport (entry/exit stamps and countries visited). I had not carried the same for mine, though the IO had reviewed this using the N-400 application. Not sure if anyone else was asked about the iternary info? Other please chip in if they have a different experience?

Generally speaking, it seems the Oath date is given at the time of interview itself. For a Chicago resident, approx how many days after the Interview is the Oath date?

Generally speaking, it seems the Oath date is given at the time of interview itself. For a Chicago resident, approx how many days after the Interview is the Oath date?
Sdd,
Oath date is given at the time of interview only if you are not undergoing any name changes. Generally it looks like non-name change oath dates are being setup for 7-10 days from the day you passed your interview.
I will let others confirm that trend based on recent interview experiences

Chicago Interview experience today -01/11/2010

I had my interview today and passed recommended for approval:

Here are some of the details:

- We live in Westen subrubs. Interview was at 10:45 AM. We took 7:17 AM metra train from Route-59 station, It reached Union Station at 8:05 AM. So we have lot of time since it was cold outside we just hung around in Union station food court having breakfast/coffee.

- We started walking to 101 West Congress Parkway at 9:40 AM and we were there at 10:00 AM. You can carry your cellphone and back-pack inside but will be X-rayed like in Airport. There are rest rooms on Floor 1 and as well as 3rd floor. We reached 3rd floor at 10:15 AM and there was a 15 mins wait in the line to checkin at the reception. The person at the reception checks your IL and gives you a pager. There is separate pager for Door-1 and Door-2. When you get buzzed you need to showup in front for your assigned door. Its a big waiting room. We got called in a 11:50 AM.

IO walks you into to his/her office. Once you are in the office in my case
- Asked to take the oath.
- Asked me to sign my photos
- Civic test (not exactly to the word - but you get the idea)
+ Who wrote the Constitution?
+ Head of the executive branch?
+ Two national parties?
+ Which party does the current president belongs to?
+ Name one bordering state to Mexico?
+ Name 3 original states?
- Reading Test:
+ Who elects congress?
- Writing test:
+ People elects the congress.

Then they go over your application in details. IN my case I opted for the name change. So I had to sign 2 additions forms.

IO told me that since I was opting for a name change they will mail my oath letter. The entire process took 15 mins or so.

Outside I saw people getting their OL. I am assuming those are for people who did not opt for name change.

Documents asked:
PP, DL, GC. At the end IO said she will make copies. But I had them so gave it to her.
No other documents asked. I had court disposition for a traffic ticket.

You may get an interview check list that will ask for the police clearance certificate. If you are not asked for it, I would still recommend that you get the police clearance certificate for your mother from all the jurisdictions she had stayed in the last five years.

Hi Guju:

I see your OD is 11/14/2010. Once you are done can you post if you got court name change document during the Oath ceremony.

Thanks,

Any travel questions?

Hi All,

Just filed my N400 my concern (actually I am pretty nervous about it) is that I did lots of travel for work during the past 5 years. Anybody experienced any extensive questioning regarding travel time?

Thanks,

Hi All,

Just filed my N400 my concern (actually I am pretty nervous about it) is that I did lots of travel for work during the past 5 years. Anybody experienced any extensive questioning regarding travel time?

Thanks,

You should be fine - I had over 50 trips - each lasting to a week to Canada for work and I did not have any problems during the interview. I said I had to go every week for work in Canada and showed the documents and he was fine with that.

Thanks,
Hanimi

Hi All,

Thanks,

I have travelled a lot during the last 5 years and was not asked any question about my travel during interview. He just looked over the pages and passed on to the next question.

using the metra to go to citizenship office

Hi Joejoy,
Next february I have to go to citizenship office in congress parkway for my wifes interview early in the morning. I live in Aurora, illinois. I was wondering if it would be a better idea to take the Metra to Union station and then from there walk to the office to beat the bumper to bumper traffic on 290 expressway. I read in your post you did the same thing. If you would be kind enough to give detailed walking directions from the union station it would be greatly appreciated. Is it doable specially in this cold weather?Thanks for the detailed description of your interview during the citizenship interview. Congratulations on becoming a U.S. citizen.
Tadur

I live in Naperville and took the Metra for both my interview and oath.

I live in Aurora, illinois. I was wondering if it would be a better idea to take the Metra to Union station and then from there walk to the office to beat the bumper to bumper traffic on 290 expressway.

Take metra

Hi Joejoy,
Next february I have to go to citizenship office in congress parkway for my wifes interview early in the morning. I live in Aurora, illinois. I was wondering if it would be a better idea to take the Metra to Union station and then from there walk to the office to beat the bumper to bumper traffic on 290 expressway. I read in your post you did the same thing. If you would be kind enough to give detailed walking directions from the union station it would be greatly appreciated. Is it doable specially in this cold weather?Thanks for the detailed description of your interview during the citizenship interview. Congratulations on becoming a U.S. citizen.
Tadur

My advice is to take metra from Route 59 station. I live in Aurora, IL as well. It took me more than 2 hours last month get to downtown when I had to go for some other work ( It was snowing that day).

As I said its a < 20 min walk from union station. Worst case you can take a cab. I am attaching the map.. check out direction. Good luck

using the metra to go to citizenship office

Joejoy,
Thanks a lot for your directions. Hope your Oath ceremony goes smoothly.
Tadur

Thanks triple citizen

Triple citizen thanks a lot for the post, I will take the Metra to go to the interview.
Tadur

Took my oath today at the federal court on south dearborn st (I had requested a name change). We were asked to come at 12:00, I got there 5 mins to 12, the court room was packed (140 applicants + friends/family). Once everyone checked in, the IO told about N600, updating social security, etc... and then said the judge will come at 01:00 so we were let out. We all were reassembled at 01:00, took the oath, the judge gave a speech and handed out everyone their certificated. The whole ceremony was 25 minutes. The judge was kind enough to shake hands with everyone and let friends/family take pictures with her (My GF was having her citizenship interview at 101 congress pkw at the same time so no one to take my pic :().

Along with the Certificate of Naturalization, I also got another letter with a raised seal that indicated my name was changed to and from. This letter is the proof of name change.

I made some copies and applied for the passport today itself.

My GF and her sis had their interview today.
Interview time 11:05. My GF was called in at 11:40 and her sis at 11:55. It went pretty smooth nothing out of the ordinary. They were asked about their parent's current status and where they live, what they do (since they got their GC through their parents). The IO also asked where they lived since none of the parents were in US (They live with their uncle). Went through all yes/no questions. Nothing about traffic tickets. They both were done in 10 mins each. Got their oath letter for oath date of 01/26/2010.

Took my oath today at the federal court on south dearborn st (I had requested a name change). We were asked to come at 12:00, I got there 5 mins to 12, the court room was packed (140 applicants + friends/family). Once everyone checked in, the IO told about N600, updating social security, etc... and then said the judge will come at 01:00 so we were let out. We all were reassembled at 01:00, took the oath, the judge gave a speech and handed out everyone their certificated. The whole ceremony was 25 minutes. The judge was kind enough to shake hands with everyone and let friends/family take pictures with her (My GF was having her citizenship interview at 101 congress pkw at the same time so no one to take my pic :().

Along with the Certificate of Naturalization, I also got another letter with a raised seal that indicated my name was changed to and from. This letter is the proof of name change.

I made some copies and applied for the passport today itself.

Congratulation on your successful journey !!

I have my interview on Jan 21. Do I need to take photo copies of the Passport, GC & Driver's License? Does the officer take them from you at the time of interview?