Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Hello All,

I completed my interview this morning. Quite straight forward, here are some details:

Documents asked at interview: GC, DL, Passport (take photocopies of all-just makes a good impression)
Civics test: Answered 6 questions correctly, some of them were, father of the nation, # of voting members in House or representatives, name one war in 1900, president at WW1, etc.
Writing and reading test: A simple sentence was asked to be read and then written
Application review: went through the whole application, I had some traffic tickets, but she just asked if I was ever arrested, etc. No changes. Signed at the end and was told I passed and approved for Naturalization
Oath date: She was just checking the Oath date and I politely asked if I can request one, but by then she offered Dec 8. Was told to wait a little while and was handed the Oath letter for Dec 8.
Interview Summary: Took totally around 15 minutes, person was straight forward, except at the end, wherein we had a little talk on the passport application. Just dont be nervous unless you have any special circumstances, i.e travel >6mths, etc. I even had changed employers within 4 mths of GC but no issues raised.

In conclusion, this forum has been of immense help, and I wanted to thank all who have posted and answered questions. A note of appreciation.

DO: Chicago, IL
8/17/09: N400 Mailed
9/12/09: FP Done
10/20/09: IL received
12/02/09: ID
12/02/09: Oath Letter
12/08/09: Oath Date

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Did you requested name change?You know anybody have other oath date instead 8th dec.I requested for my name change.But i don't want my name change.Can i say no to this questions at interview?

Thanks for your helps.

Hello All,

I completed my interview this morning. Quite straight forward, here are some details:

Documents asked at interview: GC, DL, Passport (take photocopies of all-just makes a good impression)
Civics test: Answered 6 questions correctly, some of them were, father of the nation, # of voting members in House or representatives, name one war in 1900, president at WW1, etc.
Writing and reading test: A simple sentence was asked to be read and then written
Application review: went through the whole application, I had some traffic tickets, but she just asked if I was ever arrested, etc. No changes. Signed at the end and was told I passed and approved for Naturalization
Oath date: She was just checking the Oath date and I politely asked if I can request one, but by then she offered Dec 8. Was told to wait a little while and was handed the Oath letter for Dec 8.
Interview Summary: Took totally around 15 minutes, person was straight forward, except at the end, wherein we had a little talk on the passport application. Just dont be nervous unless you have any special circumstances, i.e travel >6mths, etc. I even had changed employers within 4 mths of GC but no issues raised.

In conclusion, this forum has been of immense help, and I wanted to thank all who have posted and answered questions. A note of appreciation.

Congratulations!

Did you requested name change?You know anybody have other oath date instead 8th dec.I requested for my name change.But i don't want my name change.Can i say no to this questions at interview?

Thanks for your helps.

Yes you have the opportunity to cancel your name change request during the interview. Tell the IO that you do not want to change your name.
Are you cancelling your name change request because you think it will delay your oath date?

Congratulations!

Thanks for your helps.

Hi, thanks.

Yes, the interviewer clearly asks if you want a name change, even though, I mentioned not to have one. I am not sure if this impacts anything else. In reagrds to the Oath date, she just looked at the system, and my judgement is that there are only some days wherein they have Oath ceremonies....but still, I didnt have any insight into any other dates, as she just offered me one date initially, and I took it. Thanks!

I have interview in Chicago on Jan 12th. I had already booked my tickets to India for Jan 15th.
I have seen that Chicago oaths take place 2 - 10 days after interview. Clearly, I will not be able to attend the ceremony. Even if I get a next day oath, Clearly I will not be able to get a US passport and a Indian visa in 2 days.
So I have to postpone something.
My dilemma: Postpone my interview or request for a postponement of my oath by a month and a half.

My interview letter mentions that I can postpone interview but can I request a postponement of oath?

Any other recommendations. I cannot cancel my travel plans....

Please help. Appreciate any feedback..

Re

I would not postpone your interview date. I would rather request USCIS officer to allocate an oath date after your travel is completed. Since you do not have time to get US passport and necessary VISA to travel. I think they will accomodate your request if you can show them the proof of your travel. If you can postpone your travel, then get the oath done and you can get US passport from Chicago regional passport office in 2 days if you can show them that you need to travel. Indian VISA can be arranged in a day if you can show them that you need to travel.

My experience may help some of you.
I had my interview on 8/18 and oath on 8/24. I applied for name change but it did not affect my oath date. Everyone interviewed along with me got the same oath date. Also, you can always say no to name change at the end of interview even if you applied for one. There is a separate piece of paper you need to sign if you need name change. You can say you changed your mind regarding name change.
You can also request a delay in oath date if you need to travel soon. There is no harm in that.
My wife is going for interview on 12/10 and I will post her experience
and oath date after that.

I had my interview today, and I PASSED! It was extremely easy. I walked in the IO told me to hold up my right hand and swear to tell the truth. After which he went straight into the test questions. I was asked 7 questions and I nailed all seven. After which we went over the application. He asked about my trip and where I went. He asked if I still worked for company XYZ, and I said "Yes." Lastly, he went into the questions. He never asked about traffic tickets. Everything went well and the interview is OVER! Everything took 15 minutes,except the oath letter took over an hour to arrive.

Does anyone know what to take to the Oath ceremony? I have gotten the following requirements to bring to the Oath ceremony:

The Oath Letter with the questions on the back answered. - :)
Permanent Resident Card. - :)
Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document. - :confused:
Any Immigration documents you may have. -:confused:

I do not have any refugee travel document. What is that? Also, what do they mean by "Any immigration documents you may have" ?

If someone has taken the Oath ceremony, please shine some light on this? Thanks.

Does anyone know what to take to the Oath ceremony? I have gotten the following requirements to bring to the Oath ceremony:

I do not have any refugee travel document. What is that? Also, what do they mean by "Any immigration documents you may have" ?

If someone has taken the Oath ceremony, please shine some light on this? Thanks.

Anyone?

It is standard verbiage.
If you do not have Refugee Travel Document then do not worry about it.
Any immigration documents means items like Advance Parole, EAD, etc...

Did not receive IL for spouse

Me and spouse received email updates on 11/26. And I received my interview letter 11/30 ( Mailed on 11/24). But no IL letter for spouse.. I am wondering if it got mis-placed by post office in mail due to all holiday mails..

What would be the next step?. Can I call and check if IL was mailed for spouse?

Thanks,

Oath Date delayed due to name change

My experience may help some of you.
I had my interview on 8/18 and oath on 8/24. I applied for name change but it did not affect my oath date. Everyone interviewed along with me got the same oath date. Also, you can always say no to name change at the end of interview even if you applied for one. There is a separate piece of paper you need to sign if you need name change. You can say you changed your mind regarding name change.
You can also request a delay in oath date if you need to travel soon. There is no harm in that.
My wife is going for interview on 12/10 and I will post her experience
and oath date after that.

My wife passed the interview with recommendation for approval on 11/04/09 but she didn't get OL yet. Today we called the IO and he said that it can take another 90 days. I don't get it because her case is very simple, no violations, no travels abroad. Any idea why she didn't get the oath letter on the day of the interview?

We're thinking about infopass but from what I read on the forum it does not help too much.
Thanks,

Is Chicago Oath in different place if you change your name?

Does anyone know if oath ceremonies in Chicago for people who requested name change are held in different place then people without the name change? My sister-in-law who didn't change her name, took the oath in the USCIS Building on Congress Pkwy in Downtown, the same place she had the interview. However, somewhere in the forum I found a link to a Chicago Court located very close to USCIS Building at 219 South Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60604.
This court also runs citizenship ceremonies (link: ilnd.uscourts.gov/home/ ). I cannot use links yet but you can copy and past the link to access the court website. I thought that it could be the place for people with name change since it requires a presence of a judge during the ceremony. However no oath ceremony is scheduled yet ( link: ilnd.uscourts.gov/Press/ceremony.cfm ) so maybe this is a reason my wife didn't get oath letter yet after a month from the interview.
What do you think about it?

Congratulations!

Hello,

can you share your interview experience?What time and which place you have oath ceremony?You have oath ceremony same place as your interview done on congress pkwy?

thank you so much.

I had my interview today, and I PASSED! It was extremely easy. I walked in the IO told me to hold up my right hand and swear to tell the truth. After which he went straight into the test questions. I was asked 7 questions and I nailed all seven. After which we went over the application. He asked about my trip and where I went. He asked if I still worked for company XYZ, and I said "Yes." Lastly, he went into the questions. He never asked about traffic tickets. Everything went well and the interview is OVER! Everything took 15 minutes,except the oath letter took over an hour to arrive.

what time and which place you have oath ceremony?

Hello,

What time and which place you have oath ceremony?You have oath ceremony same place as your interview done on congress pkwy?

thank you so much.

Hello All,

Hello,

What time and which place you have oath ceremony?You have oath ceremony same place as your interview done on congress pkwy?

thank you so much.

Hi there, yes, its the same place, i.e. 101 West congress parkway. I have mine tomorrow morning (Tues Dec8) at 8am. Thanks!

Finally, after a long waiting period and those worrying nights, I have become a Proud Citizen of the United States. Thank you everyone for your help and support. The forum is a great help. :)