Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

The reason I am asking is that I never received YL and IL. I got informal IL later after checking several time but still asking me to refer to original YL for docs to bring.

The only document that my yellow letter asked me to bring was Driver's License.

If you are like me (greencard through employment, male, age between 21 - 60), below is what to bring:
- IL letter
- Passport and any travel doc
- Green card
- Selective service document (to show that you were either registered or not required to register)

Good luck,

The only document that my yellow letter asked me to bring was Driver's License.

If you are like me (greencard through employment, male, age between 21 - 60), below is what to bring:
- IL letter
- Passport and any travel doc
- Green card
- Selective service document (to show that you were either registered or not required to register)

Good luck,

I became a permanent resident when I was 35 yrs. age. So I don't need to bring any document saying that I am not required to register for selective service right? My Yellow CL also doesn't ask for it. Only DL, Passports & GC. Please advice.

08/20/09 : N-400 mailed to to Lees Summit, MO
08/24/09 : Priority Date
08/28/09 : Notice Date
09/08/09 : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
09/19/09 : FP done on scheduled date
10/21/09 : Case transferred to local office

Hello Tiger,
If this is not marriage base, did you file 90 days before your 5 year period or did you file after the five years were up?

Hello Tiger,
If this is not marriage base, did you file 90 days before your 5 year period or did you file after the five years were up?
Yes, I did file 90 days before the 5 year period. Actually I sent it 85 days prior just to be sure my case would not be rejected or delayed because it arrived to early

I became a permanent resident when I was 35 yrs. age. So I don't need to bring any document saying that I am not required to register for selective service right? My Yellow CL also doesn't ask for it. Only DL, Passports & GC. Please advice.

Hi Spiderman,

This is what I learn from googling about selective service. All males (legal and illegal) are required to register if they live in the US and age between 18 to 26 years old. The only exception is if you hold the non-immigrant visa during that age, you are not required to register. For my case, I had held student visa and non-immigrant worker visa when I was between 18 to 26 years old. Hence I prepared document in case if the IO asks. I submitted my immigration documents to selective service office and asked them to issue me a letter to show that I was not required to register. I carried that letter with me on the interview day. The IO never asked me for it.

I think if you came here after the age of 26, you shouldn't need to bring anything. For my case, I came here when I was younger.

Good luck,
Patrick

Oath experience

I took the oath today and finished the long journey to become a US citizen (very long indeed - from student visa to US citizen). I arrived at the building in downtown around 8am. The officer separated the guests; friends and family members, from the "soon to be citizen". We were let into the hall way where we showed our oath letter and surrendered our beautiful green cards :( Then the officer seated us in the auditorium that had two big screen plasma TV on the side and one big projector in the middle. They played the DVD about the history of immigrants and welcome message from Obama. Then we read the oath of allegiance together. 192 people from 42 countries became US citizens in Chicago downtown office today. They gave each of us a certificate of naturalization. This certificate is required when we apply for US passport. Then people took pictures and left happily. :)

Patrick

Hi Spiderman,

This is what I learn from googling about selective service. All males (legal and illegal) are required to register if they live in the US and age between 18 to 26 years old. The only exception is if you hold the non-immigrant visa during that age, you are not required to register. For my case, I had held student visa and non-immigrant worker visa when I was between 18 to 26 years old. Hence I prepared document in case if the IO asks. I submitted my immigration documents to selective service office and asked them to issue me a letter to show that I was not required to register. I carried that letter with me on the interview day. The IO never asked me for it.

I think if you came here after the age of 26, you shouldn't need to bring anything. For my case, I came here when I was younger.

Good luck,
Patrick

I am born in Aug '69 and I came to USA first time in Jan '95 on student visa. I was holding non-immigrant status like F1/H1 until 2004 when I got GC. Do you still think I need to try getting that letter from selective service stating that I am not required to register? My Yellow CL doesn't mention it either. Please advice. Thanks.

I am born in Aug '69 and I came to USA first time in Jan '95 on student visa. I was holding non-immigrant status like F1/H1 until 2004 when I got GC. Do you still think I need to try getting that letter from selective service stating that I am not required to register? My Yellow CL doesn't mention it either. Please advice. Thanks.

Hi Spider,

Based on the info you gave, I don't think you need a letter from SS. You were already 26 yo when you came here as student. I was much younger when I came here. I think you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Name change question

patrickchicago

Congratulation on becoming USC.

I have a question. During the oath ceremony did you see anyone who were taking oath who had requested for a name change . I am curious to know what is the process in case of a name change. Will they get the court name change order first before taking the oath.

Thanks,

12/03/09 : Interview Date (interview notice arrived 10/22/09)

Recieved Interview letter

Thanks a lot

Hello there, as mentioned before, I have been following your timeline to get a sense of where I stand. I just recieved my Interview letter for Dec 2. Also recieved document checklist N-659.

Sanity check question: The letter says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Is there any additional interviews, or is this standard language?

N400 Sent: 08/17/2009
Finger Printing Appearance Date: 9/12/2009 (Done)
Interview Letter Received: 10/21/2009
Interview Date: 12/02/2009
Oath Letter Received: XX/XX/2009
Oath: XX/XX/2009

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there, as mentioned before, I have been following your timeline to get a sense of where I stand. I just recieved my Interview letter for Dec 2. Also recieved document checklist N-659.

Sanity check question: The letter says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Is there any additional interviews, or is this standard language?

N400 Sent: 08/17/2009
Finger Printing Appearance Date: 9/12/2009 (Done)
Interview Letter Received: 10/21/2009
Interview Date: 12/02/2009
Oath Letter Received: XX/XX/2009
Oath: XX/XX/2009

Thanks!

That's the standard language they use on the IL. I saw that already last year for my brother's IL. Nothing to worry about. Good Luck

Count down start for my interview
Interview Date: 10/27/2009
Interview Time: 10:05 AM (both for and for my wife)
I will update the forum once i complete my interview

Does anyone know if the USCIS checks the DMV facility to see if you claimed to be a US citizen? If so, does the DMV facility check the status against any agency? Do they ask at the Chicago facility? Does anyone know?

Does anyone know if the USCIS checks the DMV facility to see if you claimed to be a US citizen? If so, does the DMV facility check the status against any agency? Do they ask at the Chicago facility? Does anyone know?

Did you claim to be a US citizen to get a benefit that you would have otherwise been barred to?

I am not sure DMV tracks weather an applicant is a US Citizen or not, makes sense that they do track that. If they track that then the chances are high that the printout of your data will be sent to the IO.