Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Thanks for that! What counts as local, though? Do the north suburbs count as local (e.g. Evanston)?

Yes it is. Local means Chicago and all suburbs. You should have oath in Chicago downtown. People from other states like IN and other towns within IL (like Bloomington) have their own oath ceremony times and they are slow.

End of Journey!!! ohhh wait.... not quite....

11 years and 2 months after coming to USA, I took an Oath today to become a US Citizen.

My timeline

Receipt date: June 4th 2009
FP: July 7th 2009
CFR Notice (Yellow letter): Aug 14th 2009
Interview letter: Aug 24th 2009
Interview date: Oct 7th 2009
Oath: Oct 15th 2009

Now I need to wait for my wife's I-130 to get approved:mad:. I already upgraded her file (which I filed earlier based on Green card) on phone.

Thanks and good luck everybody.

Happy Diwali.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks! Looks like I should be able to plan travel for December then, given that my interview is 11/2.

I think you might get Oath date around 15th of November. What I have heard that they try conduct Oath ceremony twice a month. There were 133 people in Oath ceremony today in Chicago USCIS building.

One thing to keep in mind if you would like to travel before december..... You need to apply for passport immediately. Which might take atleast couple of weeks. (Again that's what I was told) And depending on which country you are traveling, you might need to get Visa for that country. Just a thought.

Good luck.

11 years and 2 months after coming to USA, I took an Oath today to become a US Citizen.

My timeline

Receipt date: June 4th
FP: July 07
CFR Notice (Yellow letter): Aug 14th
Interview letter: Aug 24th
Interview date: Oct 7th
Oath: Oct 15th

Now I need to wait for my wife's I-130 to get approved:mad:. I already upgraded her file (which I filed earlier based on Green card) on phone.

Thanks and good luck everybody.

Happy Diwali.

Was that a typo or did you really give FP in Jul 2007? :)

Any update on FP to IL from anyone under Chicado DO recently? Other DO's are atleast moving slowly. Is Chicago DO working at all ? :) :)

Any update on FP to IL from anyone under Chicado DO recently? Other DO's are atleast moving slowly. Is Chicago DO working at all ? :) :)

Chicago's DO seems to be slower than most others. Also the holiday season will start soon as lot of people seem to take time off during the week of thanksgiving and December is really only a half month (or even a non-working month) so the open time slots for interviews may be full and that is why things may have slowed down even more.

Anyways, I got an email from case status online that RFE has been sent out, on the 15th of Oct, for my gf and her sister (their priority date is 28 September).

waiting for the Case transfer email / IL...

spiderman03, few from Chicago September N-400 files have received the 'Case transfer to local office' email or the IL already. Have seen the same around my NBC number... :eek: I did my finger printing on Sep 22nd, have not seen any updates on my application since (no luds yet). On the wait mode... zzzz!

Interview experience

cograts! Pat. can you share more?

Thanks. Sure I can share more.

I had an interview in downtown (on Congress Parkway street). The security line (airport style) was long and slow. It took me about 10 - 15 min to pass the security checkpoint. After the security checkpoint, I showed the interview letter to the officer who sat at the check-in booth. She gave me a buzzer (just like when you wait for your table at the restaurant). About 5 min after receiving the buzzer, it vibrated. The interview officer came out to take me into her office. She was polite and friendly. We started with US history and government interview. Then the English test (very very easy). Then she went through my file (N400) and asked me questions: where were you born, how old are you, who's your current employer, when did you receive your green card, are you married or single, have you ever been arrested, etc. I think that's it. I guess she just verify personal information.

Then she asked me the following questions: do you support the US constitution, will you defend this country, will you be loyal to the US, etc. I said "yes" to all these questions and she stamped the "Approved" on my file. Then she told me that the oath date will be Oct 22. The entire interview lasted about 15 min. No sweat.

The long part is waiting for the oath letter. After coming out of the interview room, I waited over an hour for the oath letter. Some people (who interviewed after me) received the OL before me. I guess it's not first come first serve.

Good luck,
Patrick

After looking at the data from recent activities reported by various users, looks like the average time between FP completed and IL received is about 6-7 weeks and about 6-7 weeks from interview letter reception to the actual interview.

After looking at the data from recent activities reported by various users, looks like the average time between FP completed and IL received is about 6-7 weeks and about 6-7 weeks from interview letter reception to the actual interview.

I finished 8 weeks from FP and entering 9th week now with no sign of IL. :confused::confused:

Congratulation Patrick. Did you request a name change?

No. I didn't. I think name change is a pain in the butt. I like to keep things simple. A woman who had an interview right after me and asked for name change did not receive the oath letter the same day. I guess there would be some extra work for name change?

Good luck everyone,

The reason I am asking is that I never received YL and IL. I got informal IL later after checking several time but still asking me to refer to original YL for docs to bring.