Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Congrats popolka!!! I'm so excited for you!

I doubt mine is coming any time soon, but thanks for the good wishes. Will keep you posted :)

Hi PatricChicago.. No luck so far. Still my checqe not cashed. Any updates from your side. Not sure if i still need to wait or be concerned. Since i dont have a receipt number also i am not sure even if i can enquire about the case.

smartspider Thanks I am sure its gonna be soon. Yellow letter means that you are ready for Interview and hey, maybe since you will get letter later than I maybe your interview is gonna be earlier... You never know...

gadcool Do you have delivery confirmation from post office or ups? You can call USCIS and use your name. Probably they will ask you additional information but I thing they will be able to access your file if there is one. To get to second level IO tell them you are affraid that your application got lost or something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi PatricChicago.. No luck so far. Still my checqe not cashed. Any updates from your side. Not sure if i still need to wait or be concerned. Since i dont have a receipt number also i am not sure even if i can enquire about the case.

Hi GadCool,

Nope, my check has not been cashed either. Based on the time line that other people have posted, I thought our checks would be cashed one month after received.

Do you have the phone number that I can call? I'll call them if my check is not cashed by July 17 (exactly one month after date the mail arrived). Thanks.

Nope, my check has not been cashed either. Based on the time line that other people have posted, I thought our checks would be cashed one month after received.
That's strange, in my case checks were cashed in 4 business days since application was received by them.

D/O Chicago
07/01/09 : N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox by USPS express
07/02/09 : N-400 Received (USPS tracking)
07/02/09 : Priority Date
07/07/09 : Notice Date
07/09/09 : Check cashed
07/13/09 : NOA received
00/00/00 : Fingerprint Notice received
00/00/00 : Fingerprint appointment
00/00/00 : CFR - Document checklist (yellow letter)
00/00/00 : Interview Letter received
00/00/00 : Interview Date

Interview experience in Chicago

The appointment was at 11:00 AM. Was called at 11:00 AM. I had my attorney with me.

I was asked for GC, passport and DL.

I was given the civics and english tests, which I passed.

She subsequently asked me (to confirm/catch me off guard) how long at present address, who do I work for, my age, my height, if I registered for SS.

Then went through each yes/no question.

Total process lasted 10 minutes.

I was then handed the oath letter.

Hi,
My cheque was cashed finally after one month and i received the receipt from USCIS. I am out of town and as soon as i come back i will give my phone number.based on my receipt your should be cashed after 1 month. Though in most of the cases the cheque were cashed with in 7 to 9 business days. May be now it is taking more time. (as you can see it took one month for me0

Hi,
My cheque was cashed finally after one month and i received the receipt from USCIS. I am out of town and as soon as i come back i will give my phone number.based on my receipt your should be cashed after 1 month. Though in most of the cases the cheque were cashed with in 7 to 9 business days. May be now it is taking more time. (as you can see it took one month for me0

Hi gadcool,

Thanks for the update. I have an update as well. My check was cashed too on 6/14/2009 but my bank posted the transaction a few days later. Today I received a letter from USCIS notifying that they received my application. ^_^ Yep, it looks like they don't cash the check right away. They waited for one month to cash... weird. Keep in touch :)

D/O Chicago
6/15/2009 N-400 Mailed
6/16/2009 N-400 Received
6/16/2009 Priority Date
7/14/2009 Check has been cashed
?????2009 FP Notice Received
?????2009 FP Appointment & Done
?????2009 CFR - Check List Received
?????2009 Interview Letter Received
?????2009 Interview Date
?????2009 Oath Letter Received
?????2009 Oath Date

Last edited by a moderator:
Received fingerprint notification

D/O Chicago
07/01/09 : N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox by USPS express
07/02/09 : N-400 Received (USPS tracking)
07/02/09 : Priority Date
07/07/09 : Notice Date
07/09/09 : Check cashed
07/13/09 : NOA received
07/17/00 : Fingerprint Notice received
07/29/00 : Fingerprint appointment
00/00/00 : CFR - Document checklist (yellow letter)
00/00/00 : Interview Letter received
00/00/00 : Interview Date

Received fingerprint notification

Hi Kostyan,

You case really inspire me. It moves so fast. It's on fire on super highway! You must be a brain surgeon or an Olympic athlete (USCIS really wants you to become a US citizen so bad :) Man, finger print in one month. That's something. I just received my finger print notice today. Here are my status:

D/O Chicago
6/15/2009 N-400 Mailed
6/16/2009 N-400 Received
6/16/2009 Priority Date
7/14/2009 Check has been cashed
7/20/2009 FP Notice Received
8/4/2009 FP Appointment & Done
?????2009 CFR - Check List Received
?????2009 Interview Letter Received
?????2009 Interview Date
?????2009 Oath Letter Received
?????2009 Oath Date

Kostyan, GadCool, let's keep in touch. :)

GOOD NEWS:) I just received phone call from my husband. Interview Letter RECEIVED:) smartspider and Misha K you are next:)

Congrats. I certainly hope so, but I still haven't received my letter. I called today and was told that that they "are still trying to figure out the scheduling" and that it would be within the next 30 days. We shall see...

Nothing here either. I've given up at this point and am going on vacation for 2 weeks. We'll see when I get back.

Good luck Misha_K!

Can you leave the country while the case pending?

Nothing here either. I've given up at this point and am going on vacation for 2 weeks. We'll see when I get back.

Good luck Misha_K!

Hi Spider,

Can you really travel aboard while the citizenship case is pending? Someone in this forum told me that we are not suppose to leave the country until the case is approved. Below is the text the he gave me:

Sec. 1427. Requirements of naturalization

(a) Residence No person, except as otherwise provided in this sub chapter, shall be naturalized unless such applicant, (1) immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously,after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least five years and during the five years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been physically present therein for periods totaling at least half of that time, and who has resided within the State or within the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed the application for at least three months, (2) has resided continuously within the United States from the date of the application up to the time of admission to citizenship,and (3) during all the periods referred to in this subsection has been and still is a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States

I myself unknowingly scheduled a 2 week vacation (and paid for some of it) to be in the middle of the case timeline as well. Hopefully my case would get approved before the vacation day starts (Nov 12). Otherwise I'll have to skip the vacation. Please check to make sure that you can travel aboard. Please also keep me update. If you travel and your case get approved later without any troubles, I'll follow your foot steps. ;-)

Patrick

Hi Spider,

Can you really travel aboard while the citizenship case is pending? Someone in this forum told me that we are not suppose to leave the country until the case is approved. Below is the text the he gave me:

Sec. 1427. Requirements of naturalization

(a) Residence No person, except as otherwise provided in this sub chapter, shall be naturalized unless such applicant, (1) immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously,after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least five years and during the five years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been physically present therein for periods totaling at least half of that time, and who has resided within the State or within the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed the application for at least three months, (2) has resided continuously within the United States from the date of the application up to the time of admission to citizenship,and (3) during all the periods referred to in this subsection has been and still is a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States

I myself unknowingly scheduled a 2 week vacation (and paid for some of it) to be in the middle of the case timeline as well. Hopefully my case would get approved before the vacation day starts (Nov 12). Otherwise I'll have to skip the vacation. Please check to make sure that you can travel aboard. Please also keep me update. If you travel and your case get approved later without any troubles, I'll follow your foot steps. ;-)

Patrick
You can travel abroad while the N400 case is pending. The issue is with, if such travel abroad makes not satisfy the continuous residence requirements. This can only happen if you made so many trips in the last 5 years that your continuous residence is on the border line and you are just meeting the requirements and any more travel makes you ineligible due to continuous residence being met.

Otherwise, its ok for you to travel (vacation) while your N400 is pending. You do have to update the interviewing officer at the Interview and Oath if you made any travels between the application submission date and interview/oath.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I actually travelled back in April after applying and it was a non-issue. Patrickchicago, you should be fine unless you're coming up against the limit.

SS