Timeline for Chicago
3/13/07 - Mailed to USC
3/15/07 - Priority Date
3/30/07 - Fingerprint notice
4/19/07 - Fingerprint appointment
5/7/07 - Interview Notice
6/21/07 -Interview Date

application based on marriage

Had my interview today, it went well and I passed.

The whole process took less than ten minutes. After the oath, IO asked to see my green card, driver's license, and passport. Then the IO handed me a piece of paper with ten civic questions on it and asked me to answer them. IO then asked me to write a sentence down on that same piece of paper. IO asked a few more questions, i.e. have I ever been arrested, ever been deported, am I still married to the same spouse, do I work, does my spouse work, etc...... I signed my photographs and a document. IO then told me my oath letter should come in two to three weeks.

Chatted a little with the IO during the interview. The IO had an accent, so I was glad that I wasn't asked the civic questions orally.

I wish I had found this great forum a lot earlier. Thanks everyone, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my interview today, it went well and I passed.

The whole process took less than ten minutes. After the oath, IO asked to see my green card, driver's license, and passport. Then the IO handed me a piece of paper with ten civil questions on it and asked me to answer them. IO then asked me to write a sentence down on that same piece of paper. IO asked a few more questions, i.e. have I ever been arrested, ever been deported, am I still married to the same spouse, do I work, does my spouse work, etc...... I signed my photographs and a document. IO then told me my oath letter should come in two to three weeks.

Chatted a little with the IO during the interview. The IO had a strong accent, so I was glad that I wasn't asked the civil question orally.

I wish I had discovered this great forum a lot earlier. Thanks everyone, and good luck!
VERY NICE !!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Did you write the answers from the civil questions on the piece of paper or you answer them in front of the IO ???

THANKS

If you create a personal log in using your receipt number, then LUD refers to the last update on your case. Please make a signature for your case showing Mailed Date (MD), NOA date (Notice of Action - receipt), FP (Finger print) etc.

Good luck and welcome to the board:)

What is LUD

hello npnjan02,

I would like to know if you file at NSC (Chicago District) ? Is your N-400 is based on marriage ? Let me know when you got your Interview letter notice.

Thanks

Yes, I sent my application to NSC and I live in a Chicago suburb. I got my GC though employment, but I am applying for citizenship based on marriage. I will have 3 years of PR in August, but have been married for close to 5 years.

I have a question too – should I anticipate a delay in my processing since I applied about 80 days earlier than my 3 years of PR date? According to the application, you can apply 90 days in advance, but it’s not clear if there are delays because of that.

Thanks

update

January 2004--- Green Card

10/26/06-- mailed N-400

10/31/06--- Received Date

10/31/06--- Priority Date

11/18/06--- Finger Print Interview

05/03/07--- Interview Letter

06/18/07--- Interview (approved and waiting for Oath Date)

06/19/07--- oath letter sent out

07/02/07-- oath date

done

January 2004--- Green Card

10/26/06-- mailed N-400

10/31/06--- Received Date

10/31/06--- Priority Date

11/18/06--- Finger Print Interview

05/03/07--- Interview Letter

06/18/07--- Interview (approved and waiting for Oath Date)

06/19/07--- oath letter sent out

07/02/07-- oath date

7/2/07--- oath ceremony done, received citizenship certification, already registered as a voter and applying for passport tomorrow. Good luck to you all. Thanks.

oath letter

Received the oath letter today. Oath date is July 12. As expected, oath ceremony takes place in approximately three weeks after the interview.

3/13/07 - Mailed to USC
3/15/07 - Priority Date
6/21/07 - Interview Date
7/2/07 - Oath letter received
7/12/07 - Oath Ceremony

I read an article written by a lawyer that clerks at the ceremony collect passport applications. They verify your naturalization paper and then put a note on your application, so that you don't have to mail the naturalization paper with the passport application. I will bring my application with me just in case.

3/13/07 - Mailed to USC
3/15/07 - Priority Date
6/21/07 - Interview Date
7/12/07 - Oath Ceremony

Had my oath ceremony last week. Before entering to the courtroom, we were asked to have the back of the oath letter filled out before they checked us in at the table. There were exactly 100 to be sworn in. Family and friends were seated after we were. It took almost an hour to seat everyone. Then the judge came in and gave a speech and sworn us in. The certificates were then handed out by two security guards (who checked us in earlier) after the judge left the room.

A suggestion to Chicago applicants: don't go too early. People who arrived early got seated in the back. I was fourth in the line and was seated in the last row, people who arrived late got seated in the front. As a result, I was the fourth to last to receive my certificate from the guard.

3/13/07 - Mailed to USC
3/15/07 - Priority Date
6/21/07 - Interview Date
7/12/07 - Oath Ceremony

Had my oath ceremony last week. Before entering to the courtroom, we were asked to have the back of the oath letter filled out before they checked us in at the table. There were exactly 100 to be sworn in. Family and friends were seated after we were. It took almost an hour to seat everyone. Then the judge came in and gave a speech and sworn us in. The certificates were then handed out by two security guards (who checked us in earlier) after the judge left the room.

A suggestion to Chicago applicants: don't go too early. People who arrived early got seated in the back. I was fourth in the line and was seated in the last row, people who arrived late got seated in the front. As a result, I was the fourth to last to receive my certificate from the guard.
Hello 9pups,

I don't remember if I asked you before, but can you tell me what was your processing time for Naturalization ? This info you can find at the very first letter that you received, that is the Application Receipt. At the bottom of the Receipt says: "You will be notified of the date and place for your interview........" and says " You should expect to be notified within.....days"

How many days does it says in yours?

Thank you for your time,

my priority date was april 16th and i did the fingerprint mid june and im still waiting for the interview letter. is it possible that its taking a while because im getting the FBI check and will they send me a letter saying that my case has been sent to FBI ? thanks in advance

I also have a priority date of April 12 for the Chicago office and have not received the interview letter yet. I am starting getting concerned as I am approaching the 100 days stated in the first letter. Also, there is no update online or over the phone help line regarding my case since they received.

Is there anywhere else you can check status of your case?
Anyone else experiencing the same problem?
if the wait time is over the expected 100 days, what is the next step to take?

Thanks in advance!

I also have a priority date of April 12 for the Chicago office and have not received the interview letter yet. I am starting getting concerned as I am approaching the 100 days stated in the first letter. Also, there is no update online or over the phone help line regarding my case since they received.

Is there anywhere else you can check status of your case?
Anyone else experiencing the same problem?
if the wait time is over the expected 100 days, what is the next step to take?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Chicago_girl,

Is you application based on marriage or regular immigrant? Try to call the 1-800.....number and speak to the Immigration officer, not the Customer Service Representative, and find out what is your fingerprints status, and overall status.

Good Luck,

It is through regular PR (not marriage). When you call the number, do u ask to talk to a officer? It seems to me you get redirected to a customer service rep. What was your experience when requesting status?

Thanks for your reply!