Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Update

========================================

01/21/07 Sent N400 by USPS Priority
02/11/07 FP Rec
02/28/07 FP Completed
03/15/07 IL Recd
04/25/07 Interview Date (Recommended for Approval)
05/15/07 Oath Date

My timeline in Chicago

Just wanted to post my timeline. Thanks to everybody on this forum and for Rajiv for hosting such a wonderful and helpful forum.

Good luck to all.

Mailed N400 via USPS Express on 1/18/07
Reached on January 19, 2007
Notice mailed from them on 1/26/07
Check cashed - 1/24/07
Receipt Date - 1/19/07
Notice Date - 1/25/07
Priority date - 1/19/07
FP Mailed out 1/26/07
FP Notice Date - 1/25/07
FP Received Date - 1/19/07
FP PD - 1/19/07
FP Appt - 2/8/07
IL ND - 3/2/07
IL Sent - 3/7/07
IL Received - 3/10/07
Interview Date - 4/18/07 (approved)
Oath Letter Rcvd - 4/30/07 (Mailed 4/26)
Oath Notice Date - 4/24/07
Oath Date - 5/9/07

Successfully completed interveiw on May 1st, 2007 in Chicago

Hello,

Completed interview on May 1st, 2007.

Waiting for Oath letter.

My friend who completed his interview on April 30th, got his oath letter within a week, I'm still waiting!

Any one completed their inteview on May 1st and got their oath letter?

Thanks

I gave my FP today. We plan on going to India in June. Is there a chance that I get my interview date before then? Also is it advisable to go to India before I get my citizenship? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just for information. During my interview I was given a sheet of paper with 10 questions and I was asked to write the answers. The IO did not ask me oral civic questions or did not ask me to read and write a sentence in English.

parking/kids/food at 101 W Congress - Chicago

We got our citizenship interviews done last week at 101 W Congress Parkway, Chicago. (Applied in October 06, FP in Jan 07). The info on this forum is very helpful and I would like to mention 2-3 things that some people might find useful.

Parking: If I remember the street name correctly, there is public parking right in front of this building on Clark Street. (Thanks to 2-3 people who posted this info earlier) You can not turn on Clark Street coming from I-290 as Clark is one-way. So, go a street up and make a left, then another left and one more left on Clark. It is a valet parking. The charges are: $14 or so for 2 hours or less and $21 beyond that. Sometimes they are busy, so allow at least 10 minutes for them to park or bring the car back.

Also, it would be a good idea to allow full extra hour if you would be traveling 2-3 hours, esp. on I-55 or I-57. (We were stuck on interstate for 45 minutes. In fact, I turned the engine off twice for 5 minutes!)

Kids: In the building, there is a large waiting area where applicants wait. In the back of it, there is a separate kid’s area. So, one can take kids. But, most people I saw had some relative(s) come along with them to tend to kids while they were waiting for interview. Kids were playing and once in a while making some noise, but it did not seem to bother anyone; as interviews are conducted inside. Eating and drinking are as such not allowed.

Food: There is a Subway-Taco Bell store a block or 2 on Congress Parkway itself, (perhaps on Dearborn - towards East). One can see that store from corner of the USCIS building.)

The officers calling the applicants seemed well-mannered, multi-ethnic and professional. The one I had was a real gentleman. After wrapping things up in 5 minutes, we chatted about work, culture & life in general for 10 minutes.

Good luck to all.

I've been lurking in the forums for a while now and thought I'd post my wife's interview experience and timeline now that her citizenship journey is almost over (only the oath left to take).

My wife's interview was yesterday in downtown Chicago. Her appt. was scheduled for 9:45, and we arrived 20 minutes early. They didn't call her name for the interview until 10:45. The interview only took 10 minutes, which seems to be consistent with what people have been reporting. There were no surprises really, except that the officer apparently asked my wife what I (her husband/sponsor) was studying in graduate school. When she said Linguistics, he asked for more details! The sentence she had to write was "The President lives in the White House." And here are the six questions she was asked (which she answered correctly):

1) What are the colors of our flag?
2) Who elects Congress?
3) How many Supreme Court Justices are there?
4) Who is Commander-in-Chief of the United States military?
5) What is the most important right granted to United States citizens?
6) How many branches are there in the United States government?

Our timeline:

N400 mailed via USPS Priority Mail 2/17/07
Delivered to Nebraska Service Center 2/21/07
Priority date 2/21/07
Check cashed 2/23/07
Notice date 2/27/07
FP Notice date 2/28/07
FP appt. 3/27/07
IL Notice date 4/6/07
Interview date 5/22/07 (recommended for approval)
Oath letter and date TBA

Thanks to all for a helpful site! --jv

p.s. The officer apparently asked my wife *twice* if she had ever smuggled anything illegal into the U.S.! My wife thought this may have been because he was filling out a bunch of paperwork at the same time and not really paying attention, presumably because he figured the interview was going to be approved at that point anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any new approvals/receipt of IL letter in Chicago

There is no activity on this thread for the last 2 weeks. Is there anyone in Chicago who got IL letter in the last 2 weeks ?

Mailed to NSC - 03/22/07
Notice Date - 03/30/07
FP Notice Date - 04/10/07
FP Date - 04/27/07

Waiting for IL .

My wife is waiting for IL.
She did her finger prints on 04/25/2007.

However, when I do case status inquiry I get the following:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

Case Status Retrieval Failed
The status for this Receipt Number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

How about you GNR, what kind of information are you seeing when you do case status enquiry?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard Receipt information

USCIS website has the same information as the I-797 notice ... On Mar 30 we received your application .......... etc ...

Probably your wife's application is being processed and the status is being updated and hence the error...

Post your info as it becomes available ....

I am also waiting on IL. FP done on 05/22. My case status just shows On April 12 we recevied .....

Please post your app progress. Have you guys had your fingerprints cleared yet?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Backlog at NSC?

There is no activity on this thread for the last 2 weeks. Is there anyone in Chicago who got IL letter in the last 2 weeks ?

Mailed to NSC - 03/22/07
Notice Date - 03/30/07
FP Date - 04/27/07

Waiting for IL .

There may be some kind of backlog at the Nebraska Service Center. I have approximately the same timeline as you and am still waiting for the IL. Some others having filed at the same time already have got their IL, though.

DO: Detroit
03/16/07 N-400 sent to NSC
03/20/07 Priority Date
03/23/07 Notice of Action letter received
03/23/07 FP letter received
04/12/07 FP done

Received IL letter today (Jun 11)

Timeline

Mailed to NSC - 03/22/07
Notice Date - 03/30/07
FP Date - 04/27/07
IL Notice Date - 06/01/07
Interview Date - 07/24/07

Interview letter received today

My wife is waiting for IL.
She did her finger prints on 04/25/2007.

However, when I do case status inquiry I get the following:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

Case Status Retrieval Failed
The status for this Receipt Number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

How about you GNR, what kind of information are you seeing when you do case status enquiry?

Thanks

FP Date: 04/25/2007
IL Date: 07-24-2007 (Received on 06/11/2007)

Thanks

hi vanlilly

Hello vanlilly,

I would like to know if your N-400 is based on marriage or just a regular Immigrant. I also applied at NSC (Chicago Office).

Thanks.

Hello vanlilly,

I would like to know if your N-400 is based on marriage or just a regular Immigrant. I also applied at NSC (Chicago Office).

Thanks.