Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Application Type: N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION
Current Status: Case received and pending.

I hate this message, it has been like that for almost one whole year until now, have not heard back from those suckers

Timeline:
April 2006 N400
June 2006 FP
July 2006 FBI FOIPA
Augest 2006 Congressman
Infopass Augest 2006 (Name Check)
Sept 2006 Durbin
Sept 2006 CAIR - Chicago Chapter (Lawsuit)
Interview XX
Oath XX
MJ-LEGACY

Can we take our kid with us in the intrview?

My Wife and I am scheduled for the interview in Chicago office. We both have intrview at the same time. Would it be ok if we take out 3 years old son with us? Any suggestions/experience?

========================================

01/21/07 Sent N400 by USPS Priority
02/11/07 FP Rec
02/28/07 FP Completed
03/15/07 IL Recd
04/25/07 Interview Date

Thanks

MissMolina,

Thanks. I found out about my NC from calling the USCIS Service Center over the period of time, some time asking same info again, just to make sure there is consistency about the information I'm receiving form them.

Thanks to all of you ...

I took the oath today, and became a USC. I applied for my passport (expedited).

I would like to extend my appreciation to all of you for sharing your views and replying to my questions and clarifying them. This site has been a wonderful place to hang around. I was here 5 years ago as "GConTheWay".

You folks are truly wonderful, and that's why this site is a great place to hang around especially when you are down. You feel down, cause you don't get straight answers from USCIS, your file is in the black hole, or your are thrown in different directions by the USCIS. So you come here.

I was there at 12 pm, oath took place at 1pm at Dirksen Bldg, Room 2525. I am sure some of you were there too.

It's finally over

I took my oath at the US district court at 1pm this afternoon. The ceremony itself lasted about 10 minutes although it took close to an hour to seat everyone.

Received my certificate of naturalization and I am going to apply for a passport at the passport agency tomorrow morning as I will be traveling to Europe on Apr 2.

Thanks to everyone and wish those who are still waiting the best of luck.

A Big Congratulations !!

I took my oath at the US district court at 1pm this afternoon. The ceremony itself lasted about 10 minutes although it took close to an hour to seat everyone.

Received my certificate of naturalization and I am going to apply for a passport at the passport agency tomorrow morning as I will be traveling to Europe on Apr 2.

Thanks to everyone and wish those who are still waiting the best of luck.

You must feel a sense of relief that this part of your journey is over and done. Have a safe trip in Europe. I myself will be going outside the states in about two weeks. A well deserved time off from work.

- Cheers!
- Tightcat.

Hi

Hi,

:) This is my first post on this forum. I knew about this forum during my Green card approval but I have not been an active contributor at the time. Its amazing, but this is the only knowledgeable forum on the web for all US immigration issues and I mean it. Its awesome, inspiring, and funny at times.
Lot of times it has inspired to persevere despite all efforts by USCIS to take you down.

Here is my time line:

DO - Chicago
N400 Notice Date - 12/27/2006
Receipt Date - 12/19/2006
Priority Date - 12/19/2006
FP Notice Date - 12/28/2006
FP Date - 1/10/2007
Interview Date - 3/14/2007 (At this time recommended for approval)
N400 Approval - Waiting...
Oath Letter - Waiting...

I found some good reads on the decision process in the adjudicator's field manual
at http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?dockey=724ce55f1a60168e48ce159d286150e2. Chapter 72 - section 72.3.

The have a mysterious reserved section NQP which seems different for different DOs.

Interview

Folks, I finally had my interview today and everything went well, just like in most experiences posted by others. Overall a very nice experience and the offices were really cool. Never imagined USCIS officials could be so friendly and nice.

He said oath would be within a month. It's been exactly 6 months since NSC received my N400. A long wait indeed compared to others.

Good luck to everyone waiting.

Hi all,

Here is my updated timeline, I am waiting for formal approval and my oath date after the IO checks my passports with the travel dates in my application.

Globeseer, it seems both of us were there at the same time! Let me know when you receive your oath letter, how long did your IO say it will take?

I was given the 30-60 days timeframe to be approved and receive oath letter.

eo23

I'm glad you had your interview done. I was just wonder what was going on with you, but did some extrapolation of dates and figured that you must have gotten the letter sometime in early March. Well, cool. To get the oath letter, generally they send it quickly within 10 days, but for me, they decided to sit on it for a while just for the heck of it.

Nebraska Service Center
Chicago District Office

08-31-06: App Sent
09-01-06: App Received
09-01-06: Priority Date
09-10-06: Rcvd FP Notice
09-27-06: FP Appointment - Cleared Same Day
01-28-07: Interview Letter Rcvd
03-12-07: Interview Date - Passed Civic and English Test But NO Decision Can be made at this time
OATH: ??????

Oath update

I took my oath yesterday. It was a very busy day. My wife was scheduled for 8 am and I was scheduled for 12:00 pm. The oath was at the US District Court of Northern Illinois building at 230 South Dearborn St. We arrived early at around 7:40 am. Parked at the public parking in the same side of the street. There were some basic security checks at the entrance. We then proceeded to the 25th floor. There was this huge line of people standing against the wall. The morning session was more crowded than the afternoon. Made sense. Anyways, there were couple of INS officers at the sessions. One officer came around and asked people to keep their oath letter and PR card ready. He kept repeating that all the questions in the oath letter were meant for after the date of interview. The officer was friendly and helped out some people. They started taking in people just around 8:00 am. In this and the afternoon sessions there were 142 people from 38 countries getting their oath. The officer first asked only applicants who have the oath letter to come in. Families were asked to go out after the applicants were seated. The officers were sitting at a table near the jury booth. They check the application and ask for documents if you answered yes in any of the questions. Then he took the PR card and placed it in an envelope and stapled it with the oath letter. He then asked us to sit in a specific row. The courtroom was big and all applicants were seated in the middle and right hand section. The left hand section was for families and friends. It took some time for all the applicants to get seated. The family members and friends were then allowed inside. They occupied the left hand section and jury boxes. A lady handed over some documentation which contained the oath, passport and voting information. The court staff arrived. The INS officer came around and asked everyone to remove their hats and told that no one could take photos of the court seal and the judge for security reasons. The judge arrived promptly at 9:00 am and the court was in session. The officer asked the judge to grant motion. The judge asked every one to rise and hold their right hand up and then we took the oath. Then everyone was seated and the judge allowed family and friends to take photos. He then congratulated and gave a small speech about the rights and resposibilites of being a United States citizen. Then the judge rised and left. The INS officer asked the applicants to stand one row at a time and as we were leaving he congratulated and handed over the naturalization certifcate. Some got additional docs for name change. He asked us to check all our details on the certificate and asked us to make sure to sign the certificate in black ink as per the instructions in the hand-outs. Everything seemed ok. I didn't see any body in our session complaining about any mistakes. Outside the courtroom some people were handing out the applications for voters registration. We filled it up and returned it back to them. The morning session was done by 9:30 am. We were out in the frigid cold weather and then we proceeded to the Social Security office on jackson. The lady at the office asked us to fill up a application for the status update. Although it was not needed she got a new card for me. She said we will get it in few weeks. We had our lunch and went back in at 11:45 am for the second round. Same routine and we were out by around 1:45 pm. I had a long wait at the social security office though. We were done by 2:30 pm. I got my passport and renewal applications for my daughter. I have not applied yet. It seems like I have to send the original certificate. I saw that some people in the forum have scanned the certificate. Is it legal? What other ways can I maintain some proof of my receipt before sending the certificate to passport office.

e023

Congrats on finally getting your Inteview done. Mine went smooth. Officer said Oath will be within a month in downtown and the letter will be mailed from the chicago DO. I'm hoping Oath will be faster than the 6 month wait ;-)

I'll keep you posted.

Hi all,

Here is my updated timeline, I am waiting for formal approval and my oath date after the IO checks my passports with the travel dates in my application.

Globeseer, it seems both of us were there at the same time! Let me know when you receive your oath letter, how long did your IO say it will take?

I was given the 30-60 days timeframe to be approved and receive oath letter.

btw, I also saw the officer stamp it "APPROVED" on the N400.

Congrats on finally getting your Inteview done. Mine went smooth. Officer said Oath will be within a month in downtown and the letter will be mailed from the chicago DO. I'm hoping Oath will be faster than the 6 month wait ;-)

I'll keep you posted.

btw, I also saw the officer stamp it "APPROVED" on the N400.

Hey globeseer!

Yes, we are almost there! Keep me posted. I also saw my officer stamp my application and had me sign it and write my name etc. on my photos as well.

She just mentioned she wants to check the stamps on my passport with the travel dates on my application, shouldn't be an issue or anything to worry about I hope.

Let me know once you get your oath letter.

Timeline Help fro N400 from chicago

Dear All,

1)What do you mean by priority date for N400.? Is this the date 5 years from your GC date( regular case)?kindly explain.

2) I see from Chicago centre , they are processing Aug06 cases now(today is Apr10,20007), I.e. there is a backlog of 8 months ?

3) IN the above case, can we submit our N400 8 months in advance or wait till standard 90 days before applying N400 ,as per N400 form?

4) If parents get citizenship, I think child is automatically a citizen as per child act 2000 and we need not file N600 form for child under 18 for getting passport! pl confirm.

thanks folks... waiting for your replies.!!!

Passed the interview

Please check the signature line for interview experience. All the best to everyone on this forum. This forum has been a great source of inspiration and information.

I live in Chicago and just sent my N-400 application via USPS Priority mail to NSC. Continuing the timeline thread...