Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Globeseer,

I was stuck in Name Check process. Now the other day I called USCIS after waiting a week for the Oath letter, and was told that my oath day has not yet been scheduled, and it could take a while ... I was given the standard timeframes, some like - 30 days to schedule and around 90 days to the oath ceremony.

But based on the stats I compiled it doesn't take 90 days to the oath ceremony. Basically I discarded reps timeframes, and hoping that late next week I'll get the oath letter.

DMAX, your time frames are quite reasonable, and it seems that you went through electronic name check while I went through manual. My spouse's app also fits your time frames.

N-400 Receipt indicates Missing Evidence

The N-400 receipt I received last week mentions exception of "Missing Evidence" (No details). My wife's receipt does not have any exception in her N-400 receipt. Only 2 issue which are different in my case and my wife's case are
1) Traffic Ticket
2) Selective Service Registration ( I think this is required at the time of interview)

I also called USCIS but the officer could not give me any details about exception.

Did anybody get N-400 receipt with exception of above kind. And if so what kind of "Missing Evidence" it might be. I sent each and every documents as mentioned in "Guide to Naturalization". It mentioned that Traffic incident related documents were not required at the time of application.

N400 Status

I have been checking this forum regularly as a guide during my N400 application process. Thanks for all the help so far.
Here is where I stand -

01/29/07 Sent N400 by USPS
01/31/07 (2 Days) Application Recd
01/31/07 (2 Days) PD
02/01/07 (3 Days) Check Cashed.
02/09/07 (11 Days) NOA Recd (With exception)
02/16/07 (18 Days) FP Rec
03/03/07 (33 Days) FP appt
??/??/?? (?? Days) IL Recd
??/??/?? (?? Days) Int appoint.

Thanks,
DSM

Dont Worry

AshishV said:
The N-400 receipt I received last week mentions exception of "Missing Evidence" (No details). My wife's receipt does not have any exception in her N-400 receipt. Only 2 issue which are different in my case and my wife's case are
1) Traffic Ticket
2) Selective Service Registration ( I think this is required at the time of interview)

I also called USCIS but the officer could not give me any details about exception.

Did anybody get N-400 receipt with exception of above kind. And if so what kind of "Missing Evidence" it might be. I sent each and every documents as mentioned in "Guide to Naturalization". It mentioned that Traffic incident related documents were not required at the time of application.

I got missing evidence on my N400 receipt too. Dont worry, no biggie. Interview letter will tell you what documents you need during interview. And yes, you need to get Selective Service Registration letter. As for as traffic tickets, I got certified disposition letters for all my traffic violations from the county courts where I committed traffic violation but I wasn't asked about those during my interview.

Timeline for Oath

Hello - I had my interview on Feb 14th at Congress Parkway and it went fairly quickly (out in less than 15 mins) and there were no surprises. I was asked 6 civics/history questions and present my passport, DL and GC. Nothing about Selective Service Letter or traffic citations/violations or tax transcripts (though he did ask me whether I pay taxes). The IO was very professional and he did run me down the N-400 form that I completed originally to see if I wanted to change anything (I did not have to).

He mentioned that I should be receiving my Oath letter anywhere 30-60 days. What is the typical timeframe? How many oath ceremonies happen in a single month in Chicago and around what dates?

Thanks to everyone for all the discussions on the forum and keeping people informed. Good luck to everyone waiting in line for this process to complete.

----------
Nov 15 2006: Application Sent
Nov 22 2006: Application Received
Nov 22 2006: Priority Date
Nov 22 2006:Application Processed/Case # Available
Nov 24 2006:Checks Cashed
Dec 6 2006:: Received Fingerprint Appointment Notice for 12/13/2006
Dec 13 2006:: Completed Fingerprints
Dec 29 2006 :: Interview notice (sent Dec 21st)
Feb 14th 2007 :: Interview Completed
Oath:: ??

Online Case Status Disappears

The online case status disappeared today for both myself and my wife. Hopefully, the IL letter is on its way.

oath scheduled

Thanks DMAX. I got my OL today and it was mailed on Feb 15th (next day after my interview). My Oath ceremony is on March 7th which is exactly 3 weeks from interview. So far my experience has been relatively painless with Naturalization process and I hope that continues for next 2 weeks . Good luck to everyone in process of being naturalized and thanks to others who keep this forum informative and relavant.

----
Nov 15 2006: Application Sent
Nov 22 2006: Application Received
Nov 22 2006: Priority Date
Nov 22 2006:Application Processed/Case # Available
Nov 24 2006:Checks Cashed
Dec 6 2006:: Received Fingerprint Appointment Notice for 12/13/2006
Dec 13 2006:: Completed Fingerprints
Dec 29 2006 :: Interview notice (sent Dec 21st)
Feb 14th 2007 :: Interview Completed
Mar 7th 2007:: Oath

I got my OL in a week after interview. Oath was 17 days after Interview. Here is the link for oath ceremony schedule.

http://www.ilnd.uscourts.gov/Press/ceremony.cfm

Oath Scheduled

Hi all -

I have my oath scheduled for 6th March. If I drive down to the Dearborn location, is there a convenient place to park there??

Also - are we allowed to take someone with us to the ceremony, like spouse/ friends etc?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
:)

Kabes,
Take the Metra. Much more convenient in my opinion. I took my wife and my father to my oath ceremony in November 06.
Enjoy your big day!!!

Thanks Triple Citizen !!

I thought of the Metra option too. But since my ceremony is only at 1pm, (for which I have to take the whole day off from work anyway), the trains around that time (both to & fro) are extremely slow, stopping at every station!! So the travel time each way was going to be close to 1.5hrs. My thought was that I would not be driving in rush hour either way - if I choose to drive, so it might be faster.

Anyway, I still have time. Also - I will see how the weather is on that day and then decide.....

Received IL

We received our IL today. The case disappeared on 2/20/2007. The notice date on the IL is 2/16/2007. We are very lucky to not get stuck in the name check process (we have unique last names I guess). This board has been very informative. Will keep you all posted as we progress along the process.

Still waiting for my Oath letter, Interviewed on 2/6/07

I called USCIS last Thursday 2/22/07, my Oath still has not been scheduled. Previous rep told me my application was officially approved on 2/9/07, however, when I called this time the rep said it was approved on 2/6/07 the day of my interview.

Still no Oath scheduled.

NoJOB

I called USCIS last Thursday 2/22/07, my Oath still has not been scheduled. Previous rep told me my application was officially approved on 2/9/07, however, when I called this time the rep said it was approved on 2/6/07 the day of my interview.

Still no Oath scheduled.

I'm surpised, not only did your file get delayed, now they're making you wait for the Oath ?

I finally got my IL.

Oci

What is OCI?

Globeseer, I too don't get it why they are now unnecessarily delaying my oath, since everything has been officially approved, and no more pending name check.

For both my kids, I had filed N-600 3rd week of October 2006. Son gets his certificate 1st week of January, whereas daughter gets it today. Go figure.

Wishing You A Successful Interview Tomorrow!!!

My case status disappeared last night. Does this mean an interview letter has been issued or NSC has transferred my file to the local Chicago district office?

I wish all the best in your citizenship interview tomorrow. :)

Tightcat, Thanks for your wishes. Good luck to you in your interview tomorrow.

I just had my interview at 101 W Congress this morning. It took only 10 minutes. First the IO asked me why I had been arrested (because I had answered yes to some of the questions) and I explained that I only referred to a few traffic citations and that I had never been arrested. Then we went through 6 civics questions and she also had me read and write "The President lives in the White House."

She went through every section in N-400 quickly and changed the answer to Question 17 in Part 10 to "no." (I answered yes to q16 17 and 18.) She did go through all my traffic citations but did not ask for any documentation. She also asked about my age when I became a PR (I was older than 26 then), after which she didn't ask for a letter from the selective service. Finally I was asked to sign Part 13 and Part 14 in N-400. Interestingly she asked me to use a ball pen (rather than a pencil) to sign the two photos (turn the photo couterclockwise and sign on the top).

I asked her if my background check had been completed and she said "yes."

At the end, I was handed over an N-652 in which she had checked "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval!" She said I would be getting an oath letter in about 30 days (later she corrected that the official wait time is 45 days but in Chicago it's more like 30 days).

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience.

I brought with me a lot of documentations (selective service letter, tax return transcripts, driving records, traffic court disposition, employment letter, etc) but I was only asked to show my passport, greencard, driver's license, and the appointment letter. However, if I were to go through the interview again, I would still take all these documents with me. My takeaway is while most of the naturalization adjudication officers are professional one can always meet an IO who might be new, or not in a good mood, or just confused about one's situation, etc, in which case he or she might ask for more documentation. You can never be overprepared.

I really appreciate all the support I have gotten on this discussion forum.

Now the wait starts again!

Last edited by a moderator: