Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

scarlethawk said:
Got done with oath this morning!

It was at 8:00am in the Dirksen Federal Building. I got there a few minutes early, but there was a long line of people waiting to get in. They checked GC and answers of questions on the back of N-445. We all got seated a few minute before nine. Promptly at 9:00am Judge Guzman came in, administered oath, congratulated us all, gave a short speech how America is a country of immigrants and that's pretty much it. Got out by 10:00am.

Good luck to everybody waiting.

Congrats Scarlethawk. How long does it take to receive the Oath letter after the interview for you?.

Interview experience at Congress Plaza

Done with my interview on the 19th. Reached around 12:45 for a 1:00PM apptmt. Room was crowded with 30 or so waiting but I was called in exactly at 1:00. After showing interview letter and signing name& A#, I was asked for passport, GC and license. Cleared all 6 civics questions and officer asked me to write "The President has the power to veto". Here are the questions if I remember correctly,
1. What are the beleifs of the declaration of independence
2. What is the Constittution
3. Who wrote star spangled banner
4. What is the Legislative branch
5. Who is Chief justice of Supreme Court
6. What did Emancipation proclamation do

Went line by line of my N400. I had couple of old speeding tickets I mentioned in my app. and was aked if I was arrested. I answered no and we moved on to next question. I went prepared with Disposition certificate and DMV history but not asked for. Finally signed the application and photographs(with pen) and was handed over N-652 with Congratulations... Overall it was a smooth and pleasing experience done in less than 10min. Interviewing officer was decent, polite and professional.

For those concerned abt parking, I parked at the Valet Parking on Congress and Dearborn (Coming from 290W/Congress plaza make a left onto Dearborn
). $14 for 2 hrs. Easy in/out and close to USCIS.

I had my interview today (21st). I never took any documentation except my Greencard, PhotoID, Passport and Appointment letter. The officer never asked me for anything else and it was over rather quickly. I parked on s.clark st. about a block south of the USCIS office. It cost me $11 for 2-3hours. The officer was very curteous and polite and I have never had such a pleasant experience dealing with immigration ever in my life!

Anand72,
Congrats!!! Just the oath pending now. Remember, N-400 is an application USCIS wants to approve :) After all, they will be closing one alien file and sending it to the "cave" in Missouri...or is it Kansas? :)

Anyone here who had the interview on or after 11/28 and has received the oath NoA?

I had my interview on 11/28 (approved), but still have *not* received the oath NoA.

06/14/06: Mailed application
06/19/06: PD
07/07/06: 1st FP appointment (couldn't make it, requested a reschedule)
08/12/06: FP done (2nd FP appointment)
08/25/06: 1st IL sent
10/10/06: 1st ID (couldn't make it, requested a reschedule)
11/28/06: 2nd ID (approved)
01/04/07: 1st Oath Date (missed, Oath letter never received)
01/22/07: Call USCIS 800 # and was told new Oath letter was sent
01/27/07: 2nd Oath letter received (sent on 1/19)
02/07/07: 2nd Oath Date (DONE!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I got my oath letter on 11/09 after my 10/12 interview. Exactly 4 weeks apart. Give it a few more days. The holidays will also slow down the frequency of oath ceremonies and USPS mail delivery :)
Good luck!!!

Still waiting for FP

My Receipt Date is 10/05/2006

1st INfopass Appointment: 12/12/2006
They told the system was asked to generate a FP on 10/20/2006 but never generated one and they said I have to wait for next 30 days. If I don't receive it then I need to call the Customer Service and check the status of the case.

hominid said:
ChicagoBears: please post what you find. goodluck.

By the way, I called the customer service number and I was told that my case is being processed They are saying 4 month delay for FP is fine. I plan to wait until Jan and then get help from a senetor's office.

baikal3 said:
Like DMAX said, I called the local municipal court in New Jersey where I got the ticket when I lived there back in 2000. The court clerk was able to find the relevant record while I was on the phone and actually gave me the number of the traffic ticket. She told me to mail a written request, mentioning the ticket number, with a notarized signature and a $10 fee. I did that and they sent me a record of the court disposition in a couple of weeks.

The actual rules are certain to vary court by court. If you call the court clerk
for the local court in question, they will tell you exactly what to do. In my case at least they were very helpful.

I have a speeding ticket and I went to the traffic court. I have a copy of the court notice with the judgment (a reduced fine) with the signature of the Clerk Magistrate. Is this copy of the judgment the same as a "court disposition?"

baikal3 said:
My timeline so far:

N-400 mailed to NSC: Dec 4, 2006 (first class mail)

Received date & Priority date: Dec 6, 2006

Check cashed: Dec 11, 2006

Notice Date (Receipt and case number): Dec 12, 2006

Receipt notice received: Dec 18, 2006

The receipt notice says "receipt with exception" and mentions that there was "missing evidence" that I may be asked to submit later.

I did list one traffic ticket (non-DUI, stop sign) and attached a copy of the court disposition to the N-400 application.
Interestingly, I noticed that the LIN case number on the receipt notice is different from the one on the back of the cashed check. (However, the LIN number from the check is printed at the bottom left corner of the receipt notice).

I also received my notice today and it says receipt with exception (missing evidence). I also have one traffic ticket (speeding w/$100 fine, paid), a few warnings and a few parking tickets, which I all listed on the N-400 form.

Do anyone know if traffic tickets could cause "receipt with exception?" Anyone with experience of "receipt with exception?"

Last edited by a moderator:
naumank4273 said:
I also received my notice today and it says receipt with exception (missing evidence). I also have one traffic ticket (speeding w/$100 fine, paid), a few warnings and a few parking tickets, which I all listed on the N-400 form.

Do anyone know if traffic tickets could cause "receipt with exception?" Anyone with experience of "receipt with exception?"

If I remember correctly a lot of posts in the recent past indicate getting 'receipt with exception' because of traffic tickets.

IMO you guys are being paranoid. The interview officer does not even care about traffic tickets. They don't even bring up the topic. Don't waste your time. They really only ask you for your greencard, passport and photoID apart from the appointment letter. My initial notice also said there was evidence missing but I think its a standard letter that does notreally mean anything. I went to the interview with no supporting documents besides the above four and I didnt need it either.

Anand72,
Most officers ignore traffic tickets. Your officer did not care. Mine actually changed my citation answer from "yes" to "no". However, having said that, there are officers who like to see fine receipts and court documents for each and every traffic ticket. Better safe than sorry is what I would advise.

Proof of SS Registration in IL.

On my husband's IL, in the list of required documents, they have indicated to bring "Proof of Selective Service Registration".

Is that a standard list of documents for males or specifically listed based on certain criteria?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Updated timeline

09/29/06: Mailed the application (USPS Priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/02/06 (3 days): Received and Priority Date
10/05/06 (6 days): Check Cleared (1 check made to USCIS)
10/10/06 (11 days): Notice Date
10/11/06 (12 days): FP Notice (received in the mail on 10/16/06)
10/21/06 (22 days): FP Appt at ASC in Uptown, Chicago
11/07/06 (39 days): Received I-797C Notice to Appear for Natz Initial Interview
12/20/06 (82 days): Interviewed at USCIS Office at 101 W Congress Pkway, Chicago (Approved)

TBD: Oath Date and Letter

SS is related to the age of male applicants. Was your husband in the US before he turned 26 in any status sans non-immigrant?

chicagolady said:
On my husband's IL, in the list of required documents, they have indicated to bring "Proof of Selective Service Registration".

Is that a standard list of documents for males or specifically listed based on certain criteria?

chicagolady said:

Please refer to the FAQ Item # [15] Letter from Selective Service on the "N-400 What documents to bring area of this web site". The link is: http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=197782

You can go the SS web site and request a Status letter. The link is:
http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html

Walk in FP

I received my FP notice today for 1/11 but I will be working at a trade show out of town on that date.

I heard that I can possibly walk in without going through the rescheduling process. Someone also said I could do this on Wednesdays.

I plan to go there tomorrow morning.

Does anyone have the experience of walking in to take the FP at CIS Broadway, 4853 N Broadway, Chicago? How early do they open the location?

Thanks a lot!

My timeline:
Priority Date: 12/8/2006
Check cashed: 12/13/2006
Receipt date: 12/15/2006
Receipt rcvd: 12/21/2006
FP notice date: 12/20/2006
FP notice rcvd: 12/26/2006
FP scheduled for: 1/11/2006