Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

cajack said:
scarlethawk:

What I understand is that you are able to apply for expedited passport service. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to receive your passport. You can only apply for the same day passport service at local passport agency if you have an international trip within 14 days. I applied expedit passport service right after taking my oath. It took two weeks for me to receive the passport. Here is the link to the passport service center. You might want to contact them to verify the information I just posted. Good luck,

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

jack

Thanks!

My understanding is that only if your international trip is within 14 days you can apply for expedited passport service at their downtown location. If your trip is in more than 14 days than you have to apply regular service at USPS.

Is it not the case?

N400 Receipt and Online Status

I'm pretty new to this forum, and I just filed my N400 on Dec 8. The check was cached on Dec 13.

Can anyone tell me how long it's going to take me to receive the receipt?

Can I check my status online before receiving the 13 digital receipt number in the mail?

Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
naumank4273 said:
I'm pretty new to this forum, and I just filed my N400 on Dec 8. The check was cached on Dec 13.

Can anyone tell me how long it's going to take me to receive the receipt?

Can I check my status online before receiving the 13 digital receipt number in the mail?

Thanks very much.

I got mine in two weeks. If you can view your canceled check online, it most likely will have your number that you can use.

scarlethawk said:
How long does it take to get the passport?

My oath is on Tuesday, and I intend to apply for passport soon after. I am scheduled for trip outside the country 3 weeks after that. I read somewhere you can only apply for expedited passport if your trip is within 14 days. Somewhere on this forum I also saw from people who didn't get their passports even four weeks after applying.

What is my best bet? Suggestions? :confused:

Any thoughts? Should I apply right away at the USPS or wait until I am in the two weeks window and apply at the passport office downtown?

Hi

Can someone who has been to 101 Congress pkwy tell me if there is any parking area close to the USCIS office?

!3 digit # on Back of Cashed Check

scarlethawk said:
I got mine in two weeks. If you can view your canceled check online, it most likely will have your number that you can use.

I've looked at my on-line check that USCIS already cashed (12/14) and I have tried those numbers in several variation to try and obtain status of my appl with no success. I know this much that the first three characters are alphabet (sp), which is LINXXXXXXXXXX. It is the remaining 10 digits I can't quite figure out on the back of the check. Can you try to describe or where along the check one can find this 13 digit # on the back of the check cos there are several numbers on the back of mine. Thx.

Touched 12/21 (about time)

Further update, finally able to see case status on-line by using the six digit LIN nimber on front of cashed check posted on my on-line bank account. I had to append the six digit # with *000 to arrive at the 13 digit format - LIC*000XXXXXX.
Now onto the case status, Current status: Case recieved and pending. " On December 12, 2006, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when yours will be done. This case is at our NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.
"
Question, is this a normal response? I'm still waiting to recieve NOA1. Any insightful comment will be much appreciated. As of last night, when I checked the status on-line, the case had not been entered into USCIS system. Perhaps, after their batch processing completed during the night, my case was entered into their system. A little background information, married twice, first marraige to USC and 2nd marriage to a foreigner. Time outside of US did not exceed six months. Never applied 4 immigration benefits for 2nd wife, no criminal record, no dui...in short I have a clean record. Always had a good job and did pay uncle sam what he had comimg to him. After checking the status this morning, I was a little disturbed & concerned with current status. Should I be concerned or is this just business as usual. Thanks for all the positive feed.

12/23/06 Received FP Notice. All is well.

scarlethawk said:
Any thoughts? Should I apply right away at the USPS or wait until I am in the two weeks window and apply at the passport office downtown?

If you can show them the tickets, US passport office will issue the passport next day.

Interview Notice

globeseer said:
If you can show them the tickets, US passport office will issue the passport next day.
Guys, Just got my Interview letter in mail today. Here is the time line:

Application Sent: 11/07
Received : 11/09
Priority Date 11/09
FP Notice Recvd: 11/24
FP Date 11/28 (Approved)
Inteview Letter Recvd: 12/18
Interview Date: 1/31/2007

This site is really good way to help other to know how things are moving.

Thanks to all of you.

psana said:

Priority Date 11/09
FP Date 11/28 (Approved)

Thanks to all of you.

An other piece of information. Like many other postings on this website, my case never disappeared from the USCIS website. It is still there displaying old message, On November 09. 2006 bla bla bal.

INITIAL interview?

psana,

Congratulations!. Looks like USCIS are working in holidays.

Does your interview letter say "Request to appear for INITIAL interview?"

psana said:
An other piece of information. Like many other postings on this website, my case never disappeared from the USCIS website. It is still there displaying old message, On November 09. 2006 bla bla bal.

psana said:

Congrats & thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Looks like I'm 1 month ahead of you & wondering why they kept my file on hold.

congrats psana

Where do I check to see status of my fingerprints and entire file ?

thanks
Raj
psana said:

Priority Date 11/09
FP Date 11/28 (Approved)

Thanks to all of you.

My timeline so far

My timeline so far:

N-400 mailed to NSC: Dec 4, 2006 (first class mail)

Received date & Priority date: Dec 6, 2006

Check cashed: Dec 11, 2006

Notice Date (Receipt and case number): Dec 12, 2006

Receipt notice received: Dec 18, 2006

The receipt notice says "receipt with exception" and mentions that there was "missing evidence" that I may be asked to submit later.

I did list one traffic ticket (non-DUI, stop sign) and attached a copy of the court disposition to the N-400 application.
Interestingly, I noticed that the LIN case number on the receipt notice is different from the one on the back of the cashed check. (However, the LIN number from the check is printed at the bottom left corner of the receipt notice).

court disposition

Hey Baikal3,

From where did you get court disposition?

Please provide some detailed information.

Thanks,

baikal3 said:
My timeline so far:

N-400 mailed to NSC: Dec 4, 2006 (first class mail)

Received date & Priority date: Dec 6, 2006

Check cashed: Dec 11, 2006

Notice Date (Receipt and case number): Dec 12, 2006

Receipt notice received: Dec 18, 2006

The receipt notice says "receipt with exception" and mentions that there was "missing evidence" that I may be asked to submit later.

I did list one traffic ticket (non-DUI, stop sign) and attached a copy of the court disposition to the N-400 application.
Interestingly, I noticed that the LIN case number on the receipt notice is different from the one on the back of the cashed check. (However, the LIN number from the check is printed at the bottom left corner of the receipt notice).

Received interview letter today in mail. Case status did not disappear from USCIS website. Oh Crap! now I got to study for it. ;-)

Somewhere in this forum, I read that in 07, interviewees have to go thru more detailed civic test. Does anyone know about it? Also does any one has soft copy of the latest USCIS test booklet? If you do, can you please post the link or actual copy here?

Thx,

chicagolady said:
Hey Baikal3,

Thanks,
Chicagolady,

Call local traffic courts in the county where you received the citation. They should have a copy of the ticket and receipt. They should be able to fax you the disposition letter.

chicagolady said:
Hey Baikal3,

Thanks,

Like DMAX said, I called the local municipal court in New Jersey where I got the ticket when I lived there back in 2000. The court clerk was able to find the relevant record while I was on the phone and actually gave me the number of the traffic ticket. She told me to mail a written request, mentioning the ticket number, with a notarized signature and a $10 fee. I did that and they sent me a record of the court disposition in a couple of weeks.

The actual rules are certain to vary court by court. If you call the court clerk
for the local court in question, they will tell you exactly what to do. In my case at least they were very helpful.

Selective Service Q.

Thanks DMAX & Baikal3

I have another question.

My husband was 26 yrs and 10 months old when he got his GC. So in N-400, he answered "NO" to the Selective Service question.

In order to get a statement from Selective Service that he did not need to register, he send in a request to SS.

They replied saying that he registered with SS, one month after he got his GC.

Now we are confused on that to do, since based on the question in N-400, it should be NO. But at the same time, it seems he was registered with SS.

Thoughts please.

chicagolady said:
Thanks DMAX & Baikal3

I have another question.

My husband was 26 yrs and 10 months old when he got his GC. So in N-400, he answered "NO" to the Selective Service question.

In order to get a statement from Selective Service that he did not need to register, he send in a request to SS.

They replied saying that he registered with SS, one month after he got his GC.

Now we are confused on that to do, since based on the question in N-400, it should be NO. But at the same time, it seems he was registered with SS.

Thoughts please.

I do not see a problem here. The actual question in N-400 reads:
"Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?". The correct answer to this question for your husband is "No" and that is what he put in N-400 according to you.
The fact that your husband registered after he was 26 when he got his GC does not change the fact that the answer to the above question in N-400 for him is still "No".

I would not volunteer any further information at the interview unless specifically asked. If the IO presses the issue, your husband can show the Selective Service letter and explain what happened.

Got done with oath this morning!

It was at 8:00am in the Dirksen Federal Building. I got there a few minutes early, but there was a long line of people waiting to get in. They checked GC and answers of questions on the back of N-445. We all got seated a few minute before nine. Promptly at 9:00am Judge Guzman came in, administered oath, congratulated us all, gave a short speech how America is a country of immigrants and that's pretty much it. Got out by 10:00am.

Good luck to everybody waiting.