Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Oath in Wheaton

My oath is in Wheaton too. My timeline is almost exactly same as GTM's. I live in western burbs and Wheaton is definitely lot closer than downtown.

Will post details after the oath on the 15th. Looks like I will be running into GTM at Wheaton.

Good luck
spk

RakishS said:
GTM -

Many of us are interested to know why you have been asked to administer your oath in Wheaton. Is it because you live close to there or a random assignment?

Until now, most seem to have been asked to take the oath at the US District Court in downtown Chicago (219 S Dearborn St)

N400 Timeline Chicago(NSC)

My timeline -

Application Sent - 7/24/2006 [ Regular USPS ]
Received - 8/01/2006
Check Encashed - 8/03/2006.
Receipt date -8/01/2006
Fingerprint Notification -8/04/06
Fingerprint Appointment - 08/17/06
Interview Letter Received - 09/11/06
Interview Date - 10/18/06

Last edited by a moderator:
burbs1 said:
My timeline -

Application Sent - 7/24/2006 [ Regular USPS ]
Received - 8/01/2006
Check Encashed - 8/03/2006.
Receipt date -8/01/2006
Fingerprint Notification -8/04/06
Finger Appointment - 08/17/06
Interview Letter Received - 09/11/06
Interview Date - 10/18/06

Burbs1, you and I are pretty close in timeline, hopefully my IV letter is getting close too. Be in touch.

There is nothing to share. Just follow the sticky "Documents For The Interview", even though I think it is a overkill but it makes you well prepared.

Most of the interview have been the same except for unique cases like arrest etc.

I was hoping for recent Chicago experiences like others have shared in the past, including where they parked, how long the wait was, what kinds of questions was the interviewer focusing on, how was the mood like, overall rating of experience, etc.

This post pretty much sums it up and my experience is the same-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Locate
Bulls-fun: can you share the interview experience ? Also it's possible to take a walk from Metra Union Station to S. Clark 533 where the new CIS office is ?

Good luck to all of us,

Alex.

The interview was held on the third floor. There were several people (60-80) before my interview time seated in the waiting hall. I was called in a few minutes past my appointment time. The IO was professional and cordial. I was asked to show my Drivers Licence, Permanent Resident Card and passport. The IO went over my application line by line. IO asked if I had anything to report or change the application at this time. After verifying my permanent resident card, she asked if I have a copy of the first page of my passport. After I handed over that, she then went on to ask me the typical questions for the civics test.

1) What are the 3 branches of our government?
2) What is the legislative branch of our government?
3) Who becomes the president if both the President and Vice-President die?
4) Which President is called the 'Father of our country'?
5) What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America?
6) What is the introduction to the constitution called?

I was asked to write the sentence " The Constitution is the supreme law of our land".

Soon after the IO handed over the N-652 and congratulated me for having passed the test. She mentioned that I would receive the oath letter in 3-6 weeks time, but my timeline indicates otherwise . The interview was over in about 7 minutes.

As far as walking from metra union station to 536 s clark st is certainly possible. It is just 8 blocks (15-20 minutes walk) from the station and many commuters do this daily. I chose to drive and park on the SW corner Harrison and Clark ($10). If you arrive early, there is a Starbucks on Harrison (kitty corner from the parking structure). Remember that no food / drink are allowed in the building. After passing through security check take the elevator to the third floor.

Everything mentioned in this forum is a good reference point and just that. I am sure you will use due diligence for your particular case and prepare accordingly.

Good luck!

Don't have access to all the previous dates but they're irrelevant now i guess. here's the more recent ones:

7/16/06 - Received Interview letter
9/06/06 - Interview date

Still waiting on my oath letter too but judging from the previous post, might be waiting a while for it. it's just weird how some people get it within a few days and some people over a month. has anyone discovered a pattern to this randomness?

Hi
Finally ...light at the end of the tunnel
Interview Date - 9/05
Received Oath Letter - 9/14
Oath Date - 9/28

Note: I had asked my DO if my name check was clear and he said that everything was clear and I would be receiving my letter shortly.

damnnnnnn ... you're so close to my timings .. i hope i get my oath letter today ... even if i had my oath on the 28th like you i could still kind of adhere to the timings for everything i need to do, although i had anticipated my oath date to be on or b4 the 22nd based on timings i had reviewed on this forum a couple months ago.

7/16/06 - Received Interview letter
9/06/06 - Interview date
??/??/?? --> c'mon mr. mailman with my oath letter

edit: oh yeah, for the person that asked about the interview experience, here's mine. it was easier than a walk in the park. first of all, i don't even know WHY people stress over parking/speeding tickets ... they aren't felonies or nothing, if you weren't arrested, why put it. it just raises a flag with customs cuz then they think maybe there was more to the case than a simple ticket. like the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

anyways ... i actually was arrested a few years ago for being too drunk and cursing out a police officer ... heheheh, but that was when i was younger, and luckily my dad had a good lawyer who basically had the township beat the charge down to a simple boro ordinance, like not putting the glass bottles in the yellow container .. lol. anyways, i bought in the court's deposition and the original ticket i was issued. the customs guy asked me what had happened, i told him and he just laughed about it. he said not to even stress it. i guess he knew i was a "changed" man cuz i addressed him as "sir" throughout the interview and plus i'm just completing medical school so he must have realized i wasn't gonna be a burden on the system.

the interview itself was very straight-forward. asked me 6 questions from the list... can't remember them exactly but the hardest one was who's the chief justice. i said "the guy in the black robe" he said "very good" and stamped my paper. heheh just kidding. i said the guy's name and then he asked me to write "The president lives in the White House." Notice how I capitalized the White House because it's a proper noun. ask any american-born citizen and they wouldn't do that, at least 95% of them.

then he asked me how much trauma we see at the hospital i'm doing my rotations in, blah blah, how i like chicago (i said i hate it, but it kinda grows on you like an infection; i'm from new jersey originally). officer was very personable with a good sense of humor. we joked more of the interview than actually "interviewed." he then said "congratulations you're now officially a dumbass" i was like yes!!

in and out in about 10 mins.

went and got drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
connan said:
Hi
Finally ...light at the end of the tunnel
Interview Date - 9/05
Received Oath Letter - 9/14
Oath Date - 9/28

Note: I had asked my DO if my name check was clear and he said that everything was clear and I would be receiving my letter shortly.

just wondering where you had your interview? I had mine at Congress Pkwy 8/30 and still no Oath letter :(

Finally Done - Wheaton Oath

Finally I am done. Had the oath in Wheaton this morning. Glad it was in Wheaton. It was very nice part, except for the sogginess.

This is the first time oath was conducted outside of the courthouse. There was tent which was kind of declared as the courthouse for the ceremony.

Went in at 915 am, registered at 945 am - just gave green card and the form. After that we just enjoyed the park till 1045 am. Went to the tent and sat in assigned seating. Entire ceremony after that took about 1 hour.

They even served punch and two types of cake for us.

All done and now ready to apply for passport.

spk

RakishS said:
GTM -

Many of us are interested to know why you have been asked to administer your oath in Wheaton. Is it because you live close to there or a random assignment?

Until now, most seem to have been asked to take the oath at the US District Court in downtown Chicago (219 S Dearborn St)

plangkitok said:
just wondering where you had your interview? I had mine at Congress Pkwy 8/30 and still no Oath letter :(

Plangkitok
I had my interview at Congress Pkwy on 9/5 at 8:30 AM. Got my oath letter as I mentioned earlier. Oath Date is 9/28
Next Steps
Oath
Passport
PIO

PS: After my interview I had chkd with my DO if my name check was clear and he said...I was cleared and nothing was pending and I should get my letter in 2-3 weeks...

Echo your comments spk1. But if I had known that it was starting at 11 I could have come in a little later.
Anyway I got there at about 9.35 was done by about 10.10 and waited for a while before the program started.
It doesn't feel any different though. I guess till I travel outside the country I probably won't know what it is to be a US Citizen...... Oh.. I forgot I can vote now.

spk1 said:
Finally I am done. Had the oath in Wheaton this morning. Glad it was in Wheaton. It was very nice part, except for the sogginess.

This is the first time oath was conducted outside of the courthouse. There was tent which was kind of declared as the courthouse for the ceremony.

Went in at 915 am, registered at 945 am - just gave green card and the form. After that we just enjoyed the park till 1045 am. Went to the tent and sat in assigned seating. Entire ceremony after that took about 1 hour.

They even served punch and two types of cake for us.

All done and now ready to apply for passport.

spk

Received Oath Letter today

Received the Oath letter today, Oath is at Dirksen Federal Bldg, Room 2525 in Chicago for Oct 3rd (Tue). Letter was dated Sept 12th and received on 16th.

Congratulations

GTM,
Congrats. Agree, it does not feel any different except the feeling that there are no more pending immigration forms to fill.

I went ahead and applied for passport today at the local post office.

Will probably feel the citizenship next month when I am travling to Europe

spk1

gtm said:
Echo your comments spk1. But if I had known that it was starting at 11 I could have come in a little later.
Anyway I got there at about 9.35 was done by about 10.10 and waited for a while before the program started.
It doesn't feel any different though. I guess till I travel outside the country I probably won't know what it is to be a US Citizen...... Oh.. I forgot I can vote now.

General USCIS response has been on time and quicker than expected at this point.

See timeline below.

Hi all,

For the sake of planning my life and not leaving it in the hands of USCIS entirely, I was wondering whether I could get feedback on when I SHOULD expect my interview notice under NORMAL circumstances (i.e. no name check issues etc). I will have my biometrics appt on September 20th.

How long should I wait for the 20th to receive a notice?

Thank you for your advice. Here is my timeline.

eo23 said:
Hi all,

For the sake of planning my life and not leaving it in the hands of USCIS entirely, I was wondering whether I could get feedback on when I SHOULD expect my interview notice under NORMAL circumstances (i.e. no name check issues etc). I will have my biometrics appt on September 20th.

How long should I wait for the 20th to receive a notice?

Thank you for your advice. Here is my timeline.

how do I check with Chicago USCIS if they send an Oath letter to me or not? does anybody knows the phone number? or I have to go to the office? thanks