Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

invest2bfree said:
I got mine today and oath is on sept20th.

congrats, hope I get mine tomorrow or Monday, our interview was 2 days apart.... btw where was your interview? mine was on congress pkw...

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago DO - TimeLine

Application Sent - 7/18/2006 [ Regular USPS ]
Received - 7/24/2006
Check Encashed - 7/28/2006.
Receipt date -7/24/2006
Fingerprint Notification -8/03/06
Finger Appointment - 08/23/06
OnLine Status changed to unavailable - 09/05/06
Interview Letter Received - 09/09/06
Interview Date - 10/17/06 [ 101 W Congress Pkwy ]

Question:
--------------
Interview Letter lists "Any Evidence of Selective Service Registration" as a "MUST BRING" document.
I was in US after the SS eligible age.
Would I need any document that says I did not have to register ? If so, how to get one ?
Will appreciate reply from anyone who was in similar situation.

Regards and Thanks.

For - rk1234us

Hello - rk1234us :

I am sure you would have successfully completed your interview.

I am in similar situation as yours about parking ticket. I paid fine ( < 500 $ )and took online traffic safety class. I got driving history from DMV, that does not mention it.
What all things related to traffic ticket did you take with you for the interview ? Did interview officer asked about that ? Could you please share your interview detail about parking ticket.

Thanks in advance and good luck with your remaining naturalization journey.

Regards.

imminfog said:
Received - 7/24/2006
Receipt date -7/24/2006

Question:
--------------
Interview Letter lists "Any Evidence of Selective Service Registration" as a "MUST BRING" document.
Would I need any document that says I did not have to register ? If so, how to get one ?

Regards and Thanks.

I think one of the reason they ask for your birth certificate is to verify that you were not eligible for SSR. I think for most indians who get their GC through H1-B and labor process are above 26 years of age by the time they secure GC. So the DO's ask for birth certificate to verify time line.

Why do I think this is true? My DO asked for my birth certificate during my interveiw. What I had done was I had carried a paper with my time line in US..e.g. date US and my age at that time, date/age at time of H1-B, Date/age at time of GC. When I gave my DO this paper he was very happy that I had saved him the trouble of looking at by birth certificate to verify that I was beyond the registration age.

Again this was my case..and your may be different, but in general I belive the birth certificate + your time line will prove that you did not have to register.

Connan

Oath - Sep 15th - In Wheaton

I had my interview on Aug 28th in downtown Chicago

Got N-445 and the ceremony is scheduled for Sep 15th in Wheaton at 930 am.

Did not know there was a location in wheaton. Well no complaints, prefer the drive to the suburbs over downtown.

spk

I just took the driving history letter/document from the Secretary of State, But the Interview officer didn't ask any documents otherthan Passport, GC, and Driving License. He asked me whether I am paying all my taxes, When I was about to show the transcripts from IRS, W-2's and my copies then he said no need. He didn't ask anything about the tickets (parking/speeding/or any traffic related). Also I didn't mention anything on the application about the ticket. May be I was lucky.

I posted otherdetails on 7th itself (just after the interview).

Good luck

imminfog said:
Hello - rk1234us :

I am sure you would have successfully completed your interview.

I am in similar situation as yours about parking ticket. I paid fine ( < 500 $ )and took online traffic safety class. I got driving history from DMV, that does not mention it.
What all things related to traffic ticket did you take with you for the interview ? Did interview officer asked about that ? Could you please share your interview detail about parking ticket.

Thanks in advance and good luck with your remaining naturalization journey.

Regards.

spk1 said:
I had my interview on Aug 28th in downtown Chicago

Got N-445 and the ceremony is scheduled for Sep 15th in Wheaton at 930 am.

Did not know there was a location in wheaton. Well no complaints, prefer the drive to the suburbs over downtown.

spk

man that was quick, my interview was last Aug 30, no oath letter so far, hopefully I get it tomorrow and also hoping it'll be in the burbs...

I hope my wife does not get it in wheaton or else Then I will have to do a dry run to the court.

I hope she gets it on the 20th so I can apply for her passport too.

Traffic tickets -- stated on app and proof was collected at interview

I mentioned seven traffic tickets -- all for speeding -- from six states on my application and the very first thing I was asked -- after I took the oath -- was why I had been arrested! I calmly explained that I had not been arrested, just received citations. The officer was exceedingly friendly and constructive throughout and I never felt threatened, stressed or nervous in any way. It seemed like he had prioritized the list of "loose ends" to tie up during the interview and this was top on his list.

When I mentioned the citations he asked if I had them, which I did (I am a pack rat and had preserved every ticket dating back as far as 15 years!). He took the originals and added them to my file. He said it was good to have proof of resolution in the record, although from his tone it sounded like a "good-to-have" rather than a "must-have" but this is just the speculation of someone who did-have. I don't know what the situation would have been had I not had the tickets and proof-of-payment / defensive driving certificates.

If you go without the tickets, Imminfog, please write up your experience, as I know there are many in your situation, who would be eternally grateful to have a definitive answer on this stress-inducing topic. For a while, I was unable to find my ticket records and was in the same state of anxiety that I know you are in now. You have my sincere best wishes that all goes well!

Re: Selective Service Registration

Don't worry about having to document this. It said the same thing on my interview letter and during my interview, I was asked if I had registered for selective service. I said that I was not a US immigrant (e.g., green card holder) between age 18 and 25, so this was not applicable. The officer agreed and no documentation was requested.

imminfog said:
Received - 7/24/2006
Receipt date -7/24/2006

Question:
--------------

Regards and Thanks.

Oath in Wheaton, IL?

GTM -

Many of us are interested to know why you have been asked to administer your oath in Wheaton. Is it because you live close to there or a random assignment?

Until now, most seem to have been asked to take the oath at the US District Court in downtown Chicago (219 S Dearborn St)

gtm said:
Got it in the mail today.
I always get stuff like this after I have made my travel plans. Three times I had to change it (FP, Interview and Oath) And those were the only 3 trips I had to undertake in the last 3 months. Looks like they were waiting for me to book my tickets and then send the notice!
Anyway so now heres my timeline

5/4/06 APP SENT TO NSC
5/8/06 PRIORITY DATE
5/15/06 FP NOA
6/2/06 FP APPT
7/7/06 INTERVIEW NOA
8/23/06 INTERVIEW
9/8/06 RECEIVED N-445 (Date on form says 9/1; but looks like they mailed it on 5th)
9/15/06 OATH CEREMONY @9.30 am in US District Court - Northern District of IL, Winfield Rd, Wheaton, IL

imminfog said:
Received - 7/24/2006
Receipt date -7/24/2006

imminfog, your time-line is pretty fast. Can you tell us about yourself a bit ... gender, country of origin, etc? Thanks!

RakishS: Thanks for informative and detailed post. It helped me.
I will definitely post my experience. However, I will be going with the ticket, proof of payment and DMV record (blank).

RakishS said:
I mentioned seven traffic tickets -- all for speeding -- from six states on my application and the very first thing I was asked -- after I took the oath -- was why I had been arrested! I calmly explained that I had not been arrested, just received citations. The officer was exceedingly friendly and constructive throughout and I never felt threatened, stressed or nervous in any way. It seemed like he had prioritized the list of "loose ends" to tie up during the interview and this was top on his list.

When I mentioned the citations he asked if I had them, which I did (I am a pack rat and had preserved every ticket dating back as far as 15 years!). He took the originals and added them to my file. He said it was good to have proof of resolution in the record, although from his tone it sounded like a "good-to-have" rather than a "must-have" but this is just the speculation of someone who did-have. I don't know what the situation would have been had I not had the tickets and proof-of-payment / defensive driving certificates.

If you go without the tickets, Imminfog, please write up your experience, as I know there are many in your situation, who would be eternally grateful to have a definitive answer on this stress-inducing topic. For a while, I was unable to find my ticket records and was in the same state of anxiety that I know you are in now. You have my sincere best wishes that all goes well!

Last edited by a moderator: