Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

I even consulted with Immigration lawyer about this. changing name will take little longer because I need to go to court in front of judge. They want to gather up as many people as possible then do it once or something. I guess everyone else can just go to places where you can do ceremony...

I double checked with IO at infopass. He looked over my files and told me that there's no problem with my files and it is just waiting for supervisor's approval and court date. I guess it can take up to 90 days...

I know it sucks...but I will constantly check with chicago office.

Let me know if I'm wrong or something. :)
I consulted both with a lawyer and infopass officer. Both told that changing name will not delay anything. So now I do not know what to do. I guess I'll ask at interview. If they tell it will not take time - I'll change name, otherwise I'll ask to leave it as is.

Here is my timeline:

DO : Chicago, IL

Application sent : 08/14/09
Priority Date : 08/17/09
FP (Done) : 09/16/09
Online Message Changed "Send to local office" : 09/24/09

That's pretty quick between FP & "case send to local office" message for you. I did FP on 08/25/09 and I am still waiting for the online status change/interview letter. How early did you file your N-400 before the completion of the 5 yr. GC anniversary? Please advice.

I consulted both with a lawyer and infopass officer. Both told that changing name will not delay anything. So now I do not know what to do. I guess I'll ask at interview. If they tell it will not take time - I'll change name, otherwise I'll ask to leave it as is.

When is u r interview? I am in the same situation, if the name change will delay the oath date i will leave my name unchanged.
Please keep us updated.

That's pretty quick between FP & "case send to local office" message for you. I did FP on 08/25/09 and I am still waiting for the online status change/interview letter. How early did you file your N-400 before the completion of the 5 yr. GC anniversary? Please advice.

Spiderman03, I did't send the application early; I applied after 5.1 year. I don't think applying before the completion of 5yrs either increase or decrease the speed of the case.

N400 Chicago-August Application

Hi, this is my first post. I like the depth of information on this site and decided to join in. Here is my timeline:

N400 Sent: 08/17/2009
Finger Printing Appearance Date: 9/12/2009 (Done)
Interview Letter Received: X/XX/2009
Interview Date: X/XX/2009
Oath Letter Received: XX/XX/2009
Oath: X/XX/2009

By the way, the online status says:
Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent
On August 26, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail.

My question: Is this the standard language for fingerprinting notice or should I be expecting a letter for some addtional documentation. I just want to make sure that nothing was lost in the mail for which I might have to followup. I have not recieved anything else other than the FP notice. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's the fingerprinting notice only. Since it's almost one month that you had the Online status of "RFE: , that's good reason to call USCIS customer service and talk with second level Officer. They will clearly say , where is your application now? is it ready for interview etc...?

I did the same thing calling them after 3 weeks and came to know about my interview date.

So, just call them .

Hi, this is my first post. I like the depth of information on this site and decided to join in. Here is my timeline:

N400 Sent: 08/17/2009
Finger Printing Appearance Date: 9/12/2009 (Done)
Interview Letter Received: X/XX/2009
Interview Date: X/XX/2009
Oath Letter Received: XX/XX/2009
Oath: X/XX/2009

By the way, the online status says:
Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent
On August 26, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail.

My question: Is this the standard language for fingerprinting notice or should I be expecting a letter for some addtional documentation. I just want to make sure that nothing was lost in the mail for which I might have to followup. I have not recieved anything else other than the FP notice. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Spiderman03, I did't send the application early; I applied after 5.1 year. I don't think applying before the completion of 5yrs either increase or decrease the speed of the case.

It was my observation that USCIS is timing these things in such a way that people who file before 5 yr. GC anniversary will have their interview scheduled after the 5 yr. anniversary to meet legal requirements. Since you filed after 5 yr. anniversary, there is no point in delaying your interview schedule. That's what I am thinking. Considering that there is an average 6 week period between receiving IL and ID (interview date), I am expecting to receive my IL coming week and ID possibly in Nov 2nd or 3rd week. I am hoping to finish my interview successfully and possibly oath by Thanksgiving. I am eagerly waiting for my cell phone to beep with that text message from USCIS for an update.

Received interview date for both me and my spouse -- same day / same time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO: Chicago, IL
7/21/09: N-400 Mailed Phoenix
7/22/09: N-400 Received
7/22/09: Priority Date
7/22/09: NOA date
7/??/09: Check cashed
7/?//09: NOA received
7/30/09: Case Status Updated Incorrectly (Erroneous Mass RFE Issue)
8/04/09: FP notice date(Case status did not get updated)
8/06/09: FP notice received
8/14/09: FP appointment (FP done and cleared)
9/17/09: Online case status changed (interview email)
9/21/09: IL received
11/09/09: IL date
?/??/09: IL received
?/??/09: ID

guys, help me out. I had interview on 17th and passed the test, but did not receive the Oath Letter. Do I supposed to wait in the lobby to pick them up??

If the IO didn't tell you to wait, then you won't get oath letter on the same day. I suggest be patient for couple of more weeks. Also, could you please share your interview experience in detail with us, if you haven't posted it already. Thanks.

Did not receive FP letter yet!

I have a quick question.

I mailed my N-400 application on 9/2/09, it was received in AZ on 9/3. I received a NOA dated 9/13. The USCIS website shows that the last update was 9/15 and the application still in the initial review status.

I have not received the FP appointment letter, from other people’s posts on this website, this seems to be very late, since it is almost 4 weeks.

Any idea what could be possibly going on? Will the website be updated when they send the FP letter? I am wondering if the letter could have been lost.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA.

Yep, that's the fingerprinting notice only. Since it's almost one month that you had the Online status of "RFE: , that's good reason to call USCIS customer service and talk with second level Officer. They will clearly say , where is your application now? is it ready for interview etc...?

I did the same thing calling them after 3 weeks and came to know about my interview date.

So, just call them .

Thanks a ton. I called the 1-800 number and ofcoourse the automated system said the same thing just as on the website. The only option to talk to a customer service rep was if there was a change of address. Am I missing something or is there another numebr wherein I can talk to a second level officer like you mentioned. Again, appreciate your input.

call 1-800 number , press 1, 2 & 3 .. It will mention "change of address" , choose that option . You will talk with the rep .

Thanks a ton. I called the 1-800 number and ofcoourse the automated system said the same thing just as on the website. The only option to talk to a customer service rep was if there was a change of address. Am I missing something or is there another numebr wherein I can talk to a second level officer like you mentioned. Again, appreciate your input.

call 1-800 number , press 1, 2 & 3 .. It will mention "change of address" , choose that option . You will talk with the rep .

Hi there, I did exactly like you had suggested (and thanks for the accurate info) and I got someone who didnt seem like a 'second-level officer' rather just a customer rep and she pretty much said the same thing on the website. I guess i just wait the then, right, or any other options?

When I look at some of the NBC#s close to mine, I see that many of them have already changed thier status to testing and Interview. I am begining to get a little impatient but I am not sure if I can do something to influence this process or get anymore updated info. Appreciate any thoughts, suggestions. Thanks!

HNchitownN400, I would suggest you to schedule an infopass. My interview letter was sent out on the same day, however, I have not received it as of now. FP usually happens within 4 weeks once the status is changed. I would suggest you go

HNchitownN400:

I am also waiting for the IL status change and I saw that you mentioned that you looked at some of the NBC#s close to yours. Could you please tell me how you did that? I would like to see how close is mine to these cases and when I can expect one. Thanks.

HNchitownN400:

I am also waiting for the IL status change and I saw that you mentioned that you looked at some of the NBC#s close to yours. Could you please tell me how you did that? I would like to see how close is mine to these cases and when I can expect one. Thanks.

I just typed in a few NBC#s ahead like for example, mine ended in 45..and I went like 48, 49, etc. Not that its scientific but it might be a guess.

Your case went to Los Angeles DO and your posting in this thread meant for Chicago DO cases might confuse people. Just a suggestion.