Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Interview NOA

plangkitok said:
got my interview letter today too

Well my wife & I filed together, in same enveloppe & one check for both!! I hope we won't get different interview dates!!
Why are they delaying my NOA for interview, my last update still 6/2/06, my wife update 7/21/06
Will wait till mid next week, then maybe will file INFOPASS to have interview together!

Anyone with such situation please advise...thanks

my timeline
Application Sent - 5/19/2006
Received - 5/24/2006
Check Encashed - 5/30/2006
Receipt date -6/05/2006
Fingerprint Notification -6/09/06 (both wife & I)
Finger Appointment - 06/17/06 (both wife & I)
System online update - 7/21/06 (only for wife)
Interview NOA letter received- 7/22/06 (only for wife)
Interview Date - 9/6/06 (only for wife)
Oath Date - ??

Chicago Timeline for me

Hello everyone,
I have been watching this thread for a while. It has been helpful. Thank you.

I was worried when I applied for citizenship about getting stuck in the "name check"... I do have an unusual name, so I was getting nervous.
Anyhow here is my timeline:

receipt date: March 21, 2006 (nebraska)
FD: April 18
Interview: July 13 (on clark street)
received N-445 on July 21
Oath Ceremony: August 3rd.

The application I sent was typical: taxes, insurance, mortgage, paystubs, .... nothing too out of the extraordinary.
The interview: Everything went very smoothly. The interview took about 8 minutes (my wife who was in the waiting room timed it...). I did not report my one ticket that I got a few years ago (by mistake until i read this forum), and I was worried about it. So I told the officer and handed her a driving record. She did not even bother. She just went through SOME questions from the application, but not all. Of course the exam and nothing else. she told me I passed and handed me for 652? I asked her did this mean that my background check was clear? and she looked over at some sheets and she said yes. Everything is set (I overheard people there saying that it is policy that you will not be called in for Interview unless that was the case; although I have heard of many cases on the forum that contradicts this). Anyhow, you have nothing to be afraid off. Just do not hide anything and you will be fine. In fact, the officer was so friendly we started talking about kids and the unusually hot weather...

The whole process, for me, was perfectly smooth: from H1b to green card to now. Everytime I sent anything in, it came back on time. I have been really impressed with Uscis regarding my case... but of course, i have seen nightmarish stories.
good luck to all. do not stress out about it, since things will come through.
econman

Progress Update as of 7/24/06

5/22/06 App sent via overnight mail to Nebraska Service Ctr
5/23/06 App recd by USCIS; priority date established
5/31/06 App receipt and fingerprint appt notice sent by USCIS
6/03/06 Fingerprint appt notice recd in US mail
6/05/06 App receipt red in US mail
6/13/06 Fingerprinting done at USCIS Broadway Ctr
7/19/06 USCIS mailed interview appt notice
7/21/06 Online case status disappeared
7/24/06 Interview appt notice received
9/06/06 Interview appt at USCIS Congress Pkwy

Received Interview Letter

Yesterday I received my interview letter, Its on 09/07 (@ 101 West Congress PKWY), I have couple of concerns....

1. We are expecting our first kid (due date is 09/07) on the same day as my interview, Do you think I should postpone the interview ? If so, are there any drawbacks if I postpone the interview.

2. Who initiates the Name Check process ? Is there anything we can do to expedite the process ?

Thanks
RK

Who are these customer agency?

Here is my situation:

Husband will be eligible to apply citizenship in Oct'06.
He just got a job at Federal bank and they had him get FBI name check and fingerprint done in July. The process is still pending. (hopefully result will be our in one month)

My question is:
Once he applies for citizenship, can we request FBI to take the same result from this federal bank. OR better may be we can send the copy of the Name check result with our application to USCIS with a letter requesting to skip FBI name check?

Some info I found on FBI website...
The FBI tries to process its oldest name checks first. Customer agencies will occasionally request expedited handling of specific name checks. Criteria used to determine which name checks receive expedited handling are internal matters of each customer agency.

Who are these customer agency? Federal bank could be one of them? can we request the bank to request FBI?

Please advice
Thanks.

Still did not receive my interview NOA
my wife got hers dated 7/19 & received on 7/22
So far me nothing & no update online Status

ANYONE WITH SIMILAR EXPERIENCE PLEASE :( :confused:

THANKS

my timeline
Received - 5/24/2006
Receipt date -6/05/2006
Oath Date - ??[/QUOTE]

I have a similar experience

Receipt date -6/01/2006
Finger Appointment - 06/23/06 (both wife & I)
Interview Date - 9/7/06 (only for wife)
Still waiting :confused:

dkvin said:
Receipt date -6/01/2006
Finger Appointment - 06/23/06 (both wife & I)
Interview Date - 9/7/06 (only for wife)
Still waiting :confused:

I was checking online status for a few days, it seems for the last week all the LIN numbers around my LIN number NONE UPDATED so far...But they do not seem to follow the number sequence for file completion...some LIN are 20 to 25 numbers after mine and some 10 to 15 lower than mine and still not completed !!

anyone with info on the above??

thanks

my timeline
Received - 5/24/2006
Receipt date -6/05/2006
Oath Date - ??[/QUOTE]

Well just found out after I went for an infopass that my name check or background wasn't cleared yet.

I called the FBI yesterday & they said that finger prints are cleared but they cannot give info about the name/background check because of the privacy act.

Stuck for now, anyone has ideas on how long would it take to get clearance??

my timeline
Received - 5/24/2006
Receipt date -6/05/2006
Oath Date - ??[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Chicago Interview

Today was my and my wife interview at chicago.

Our time was 10 am but we reached Clark St around 8:45. Park the car nearby garage.$11.

My wife was called in first around 9:55 am. She was back in ~10 min.
she told me that her interviewer was very nice and polite and first went thru 6 questions, write, read a sentence and then went thru the application real fast. she was approved.
I was called in around 10:30, My interview last ~30 min and the interviewer was asking question in great length and detail. First I was asked 6 questions of which 2-3 looks a little bit different.
1) Difference between Lincoln and Martin Luther King.
2) Political benefit of citizenship - Right to vote.
3) One more question whose answer was Abraham Lincoln but was not the one in the list.

I answer all of them correctly.

Then I was asked to provide

1)Birth Certificate
2)SS Letter
3)Social Security Card
4)Court copies of my Speeding Tickets that they are paid off.
5) Green Card
6)Passport to verify all my dates of outside the country.

I provide all of the above documents and then Interviewer went in great detail on each question on my N-400.

After that the interviewer told my that my application will be approved.
He stamp my N-400 infront of me with an Approved stamp. Told me to wait for Oath letter in the mail.

Lesson Learn , take every thing with you, I was lucky that I took Birth Certificate, Speeding tickets records and SS letter.

I learned a lot from this forum and it prepare me well.

Thanks All. :p

Driving history record

I got a warning ticket (no points or fine) 6-7 years back and I didn't remember the exact date or I don't have the ticket.

So I went to the local Secretary of State to get my driving history, paid $12 and got the report in <5 min. Do you think this is enough for the interview ?

Following link has some details on how to obtain the driving record abstract...
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/drivers_license/purchaseabstract.html

Thanks for the info.

By the way, did your driving abstract have your ticket on it? Considering it was just a warning.

No, Warning ticket was not mentioned in the driving report. Only thing mentioned is, In 2002 I renewed my license, so there is an entry "LIC ISSUE" thats it.

There are two sections/papers in the report, 1st section says "Court Purposes" and the 2nd section is "Supervision".

Traffic tickets / citations and N-400 Citizenship Chicago

Hey Wireless1 -

Yours seems to be a pretty unique case -- from what I have seen on discussion boards -- in that the officer actually requested copies of your paid traffic tickets. Normally, people have taken these in and the officer has shown no interest in looking at them or having them.

Can you please explain/speculate more about the circumstances of why you may have been asked for the copies of your tickets? For example, were the tickets less than three or five years old? Were the citations for something very serious?

The reason I would like to know is that I have been tearing my hair out related to this stupid traffic citation business. I have received four and every one of them has been out of state and over a period of ten years. When I call the other state DMVs, they profess to be clueless as to how I would obtain records. Several have said that records are only maintained for three or five years.

Appreciate any observations you can offer on this needlessly anxiety inducing process. :(

RakishS

If your tickets were not more than speeding violations and less then $500.00 then you have less to worry about.

Here's my advice.
Most likely your tickets are not on the records ( or not in the database) as these “convictions” are in past.

Contact the Dept of Motor Vehicles of the states where you have received a ticket. Ask them for a letter to show if you have anything on the record. If you recall the county in which you receive the ticket then you can contact the county court too ( in my case it Justice of Peace who presides on such matters) and ask them for a letter. You will have to write a nice letter and mail it with a self addressed envelop.

If you have had the same insurance company then get a letter from them too…that you are a safe driver etc.

If all these guys report nothing on the record then you do not have to report these on the n400. Keep these letters handy (or copies of them if you mail the originals with N400).

Also, be prepared to face the question/comment during the interview… paperwork will come in handy.
“Huh…no tickets in XX years ? WOW!!” 

You are filling the application with information that is correct to the best of your recollection/knowledge.

Wife's interiver on 8/15

Wife had interview on 8/15
Interview time 9.45 Clark street
Arrived at 9.10
Said previous interviewee had no show
took her in at 9.15
interview: asked 6 questions, made her write an sentence, and read a sentence.
No other questions asked, just went through the form. She had been overseas between filing and interview and said she had an change to the N-400. DO said if less than 6 months outside country he did not even care.
Out by 9:25 with approval.

My interview on 9/5 same place.

Time in the US

Hi all,

Does the interviewer care about the years prior to the 5 year requirement?

I've been a permanent resident since 1997 however I will only fulfill my requirements this upcoming October 06. The years 1998,1998, 2000 and the majority of 2001 I have not spent much time in the US.

Will the interviewer stress on these at all or are the previous 5 years the most important?

Please advise. Thanks all.

eo23 said:
Hi all,

Does the interviewer care about the years prior to the 5 year requirement?

I've been a permanent resident since 1997 however I will only fulfill my requirements this upcoming October 06. The years 1998,1998, 2000 and the majority of 2001 I have not spent much time in the US.

Will the interviewer stress on these at all or are the previous 5 years the most important?

Please advise. Thanks all.

Residency requirements deal with only the last 5 years.

Thanks alot.

My only concern is that one of the questions on the N-400 asks to write down every single trip I had outside of the US since I became a resident. Since August 2001, there is no problem whatsoever however the years prior (since Dec 97) were spent mostly outside of the US.

So again, the interviewer will only be concerned with my physical and continuous presence over the last 5 years, correct?

Thanks again.

Received oath letter

I received my oath letter today. Scheduled for oath on 8/24. Thanks to everyone on this board for posting your experiences. It has been an invaluable reference for me.

04/13/2006 - N400 Applied
06/24/2006 - 2nd Fingerprint
07/06/2006 - Received interview notice
08/14/2006 - Interview date
8/18/2006 - Oath letter received
8/24/2006 - Oath