Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

NOA letter for interview date

Dear All,

if someone can answer this question please,

We had our FP last 6/17/06
And we are waiting for our NOA letter for the interview
We called the FBI, our FP & name check were cleared and sent back on 6/19/06
My question is:
Once we receive the NOA letter for the interview date, will our file be closed at the DO office?
as our plan was to move to texas just after the NOA letter for interview date, and reschedule an interview in Dallas....I am worried that if there will be transfer of files from Nebraska DO to Mesquite Tx DO, some delay or loss of files problems might occur.
So is there any transfer of files in case you are changing state after you received the NOA for interview date?

Thanks guys

my timeline
Application Sent - 5/19/2006
Received - 5/24/2006
Check Encashed - 5/30/2006.
Receipt date -6/05/2006
Fingerprint Notification -6/09/06
Finger Appointment - 06/17/06
Interview Date - ?
Oath Date - ??

Citizenship Ceremony

Friends,

The journey that started several years ago as a non-immigrant F1 visa has culminated today with a United States Citizenship. :)

The oath ceremony was at 9:00am this morning. I was asked to report by 8:00am at the Everett McKinley Dirksen Building, Chicago downtown. Parking in downtown will cost you a clean $20. At 7:45am and there were already 40 + people ahead of me. The officials took my N-445 form and was asked to sit until all the applicants were in the court room. There were about 152 applicants from 46 countries in the morning session. There was another ceremony slated for 1:00pm. The attire is typically business casual although, I saw some with suits. Visitors accompanying applicants were asked to sit behind or in jury seats. Visitors were asked not to take pictures of the judge, court seal, or judge's table. However, they were given plenty of opportunity to take pictures with their backs facing the judge.

The Judge came in at 9:00am and administered the oath of allegiance. After congratulating us the judge left by 9:10am. The immigration officer then handed over the naturalization certificate and took away my permanent resident cards. I signed my full name in cursive (remember to take a back ink pen) and headed out to make photocopies.

Outside the court hall we were greeted by vote registration people. The loop post office is right across from the Everett Mckinley Dirksen Building on Dearborn Ave. The photocopying center (next to Starbucks) in on S. Clark St behind the post office.

There were about 5-6 people applying for passports before me. It took about 45 minutes, I applied for my US passport and paid two checks amounting to $97(one for $67, US dept of State and $30, Chicago Post Master). Yes, you have to attach your original Naturalization Certificate along with 2 pictures. In about 6-8 weeks I should obtain my passport. I heard someone saying that it takes only 2 weeks here in Chicago.

I headed over to Jackson Ave (two blocks down from the post office) and changed my status as a US Citizen on SS-5 form at the Social Security Office. There is no fee for this service, but I had to wait for nearly 2 hours to get this done. Since, I had to pay for full day parking and taken a day off from work, I endured this painful wait.

Thanks to everyone in this forum. I will update my passport status soon after I receive it. Good luck all.

OK The wait is getting frustrating....

Based on what I have read it seems as though the delay has begun. I was expecting the Interview letter some time last week based on Bulls Fan review, however based on other accounts maybe I should expect it in a couple of weeks.

However this leads me to one question. I am planning to go to India sometime in August for a couple of weeks. I am pretty sure based on the way things are going that my interview will not happen during that. Will there be any problem going in and out of the country (on an Indian passport) while my citizenship application is pending. I don;t think so but just checking if any of you think otherwise.

Thanks

Application Sent - 5/4/2006
Check Encahsed - 5/9/2006
Received Date - 5/8/2006
Priority Date - 5/8/2006
Fingerprint ND: 5/15/2006
Finger Appointment - 6/2/2006
Interview Date - ?
Oath Date - ??

An interview Notice finally....

Well I finally got the letter I was waiting for today. Here is the latest trail

5/4/06 APP SENT TO NSC
5/8/06 PRIORITY DATE
5/15/06 FP NOA
6/2/06 FP APPT
7/7/06 INTERVIEW NOA
8/23/06 INTERVIEW
xxxxxxx RECEIVED N-445
xxxxxxx OATH CEREMONY

gtm said:
Well I finally got the letter I was waiting for today. Here is the latest trail

5/4/06 APP SENT TO NSC
5/8/06 PRIORITY DATE
5/15/06 FP NOA
6/2/06 FP APPT
7/7/06 INTERVIEW NOA
8/23/06 INTERVIEW
xxxxxxx RECEIVED N-445
xxxxxxx OATH CEREMONY

you said you got it today? whats the 7/7/06 date?

Got an interview notice !!!

5/1/06 APP SENT TO NSC
5/7/06 PRIORITY DATE
5/15/06 FP NOA
5/26/06 FP APPT
7/14/06 INTERVIEW NOA
8/22/06 INTERVIEW
xxxxxxx RECEIVED N-445
xxxxxxx OATH CEREMONY

Bulls-fun: can you share the interview experience ? Also it's possible to take a walk from Metra Union Station to S. Clark 533 where the new CIS office is ?

Good luck to all of us,

Alex.

Alex Locate said:
Bulls-fun: can you share the interview experience ? Also it's possible to take a walk from Metra Union Station to S. Clark 533 where the new CIS office is ?

Good luck to all of us,

Alex.

The interview was held on the third floor. There were several people (60-80) before my interview time seated in the waiting hall. I was called in a few minutes past my appointment time. The IO was professional and cordial. I was asked to show my Drivers Licence, Permanent Resident Card and passport. The IO went over my application line by line. IO asked if I had anything to report or change the application at this time. After verifying my permanent resident card, she asked if I have a copy of the first page of my passport. After I handed over that, she then went on to ask me the typical questions for the civics test.

1) What are the 3 branches of our government?
2) What is the legislative branch of our government?
3) Who becomes the president if both the President and Vice-President die?
4) Which President is called the 'Father of our country'?
5) What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America?
6) What is the introduction to the constitution called?

I was asked to write the sentence " The Constitution is the supreme law of our land".

Soon after the IO handed over the N-652 and congratulated me for having passed the test. She mentioned that I would receive the oath letter in 3-6 weeks time, but my timeline indicates otherwise :). The interview was over in about 7 minutes.

As far as walking from metra union station to 536 s clark st is certainly possible. It is just 8 blocks (15-20 minutes walk) from the station and many commuters do this daily. I chose to drive and park on the SW corner Harrison and Clark ($10). If you arrive early, there is a Starbucks on Harrison (kitty corner from the parking structure). Remember that no food / drink are allowed in the building. After passing through security check take the elevator to the third floor.

Everything mentioned in this forum is a good reference point and just that. I am sure you will use due diligence for your particular case and prepare accordingly.

Good luck!

Yeah.. realized that looks confusing. Well the notice date on the Notice was 7/7, But I got the mail only on the 14th. I really didn't know which date people were referring to when they said NOA, I am assuming that it means the Notice date on the letter that I received

plangkitok said:
you said you got it today? whats the 7/7/06 date?

gtm said:
Yeah.. realized that looks confusing. Well the notice date on the Notice was 7/7, But I got the mail only on the 14th. I really didn't know which date people were referring to when they said NOA, I am assuming that it means the Notice date on the letter that I received

got it, thanks! the reason I want to know is your dates are close to mine and I'm still waiting for my interview appointment. Also, I dont think USCIS sends out mail everyday, I'm thinking they get a couple of days load of mail and send them all at the same time... I got my finger print and receipt the same date, but the letters itself got diff dates

My case status disappeared too, last access date change as well to todays date, hopefully I get my notice next week.

What is wrong with my file

Hello all,
I am just wondering what is wrong , I had my FP taken on 06/01/2006 but my online status has not changed I checked some of the cases number before and after me and they all had moved or disappeared meaning they got processed
I have read some postings for people who got thier FP rejected for poor quality, that means another few weeks of delay, I am thinking about cutting it short first call FBI to check ,if it is , I will go to the FP center again and get my FP taken and not to wait for the notice.

I need to know if I can make it before Sept. 8, I have to go overseas for sometime, need to try Embassy to get my preg. wife a visa

my timeline below

N400 Rcvd: 4/26
FP: 06/01
Interview: XX
Oath: XX

Last edited by a moderator:
N-400 Chicago Progress / Status

Progress report
5/22/06 App sent via overnight mail to Nebraska Service Ctr
5/23/06 App recd by USCIS; priority date established
5/31/06 App receipt and fingerprint appt notice sent by USCIS
6/03/06 Fingerprint appt notice recd in US mail
6/05/06 App receipt red in US mail
6/13/06 Fingerprinting done at USCIS Broadway Ctr
7/21/06 Online case status disappears (which means the interview notice has been sent according to those in the know)
7/??/06 Interview appt notice expected

App
The need to report traffic citations caused great angst and consternation as I had not kept records of these. I ultimately ended up estimating dates. Can anyone who has completed their interview comment on what discussion if, if any, they had with the USCIS officer about traffic tickets. Did anyone have to show actual tickets and/or proof-of-payment? (If so, how were these obtained?)

Fees
I paid using money orders purchased at US post office. Using bank-issued money orders or bank checks appears to delay priority date establishment by a day or two until USCIS clears with bank.

App receipt
Says I am missing some evidence, which I will have to provide at time of interview. Any idea what this means? I have checked and re-checked and I have submitted every item requested in app!

Fingerprinting experience
Fingerprinting center is located in a strip mall! Prints taken electronically and verified by USCIS on-the-spot. I was only person at center at my appointment time and entire procedure took less than 10 minutes total. Staff was pleasant and professional.

MJ-Legacy said:
Hello all,
I am just wondering what is wrong , I had my FP taken on 06/01/2006 but my online status has not changed I checked some of the cases number before and after me and they all had moved or disappeared meaning they got processed
I have read some postings for people who got thier FP rejected for poor quality, that means another few weeks of delay, I am thinking about cutting it short first call FBI to check ,if it is , I will go to the FP center again and get my FP taken and not to wait for the notice.

I need to know if I can make it before Sept. 8, I have to go overseas for sometime, need to try Embassy to get my preg. wife a visa

my timeline below

N400 Rcvd: 4/26
FP: 06/01
Interview: XX
Oath: XX
My fingerprints were taken electronically and the computer was able to verify immediately if the fingerprints were of acceptable quality. If the computer was unhappy, it did not allow the operator to proceed until the relevant finger/s were redone.

Have you ever submitted your fingerprints to the FBI before (for other applications, security clearances, for example)? Perhaps the fingerprint check process proceeds faster when they already have one's fingerprints on record and previously checked? Just speculating...

Online Status Changed on Jul 21st

I just checked my status online and looks like I might get the Interview letter soon, Status changed today 7/21

RakishS said:
My fingerprints were taken electronically and the computer was able to verify immediately if the fingerprints were of acceptable quality. If the computer was unhappy, it did not allow the operator to proceed until the relevant finger/s were redone.

Have you ever submitted your fingerprints to the FBI before (for other applications, security clearances, for example)? Perhaps the fingerprint check process proceeds faster when they already have one's fingerprints on record and previously checked? Just speculating...

There was also a supervisor who ensures that prints are of acceptable quality (thats my experience at Waukegan ASC) before sending them off to FBI.

My experience at the interview was pretty starightforward. I did mention my one traffic citation on my app. The IO was not interested to see details, but she did read all those questions line by line just verifying if I needed to add or substantiate any answers. I had taken that ticket with me and proof of attending traffic school. I had also take the DMV driving record (which you can obtain at any secretary of state office for $15 or $20). My 2 cents, take back up material if it makes you sleep at night.

Your personal check is as good as MO or Cashiers check. People prefer to send the personal check cause it informs the check drawn date and if they have online checking they can see the LIN * number. Again, your PD off by a day or two really has no consequence or logic on when you ought to receive your interiview or citizenship certificate.

The NOA you received is a typical letterhead that everyone receives. For your interview, please take your documents that you submitted with your N400 and any other supporting documents you think is necessary. You can look at Johnny Cashs thread in the sticky. It is detailed.

Other than that....congratulations and good luck!

online status

rk1234us said:
I just checked my status online and looks like I might get the Interview letter soon, Status changed today 7/21

We are filing my wife & I at the same time.
Just today my wifes status changed (update 7/21 receipt not found)
But myself still shows initial receipt date & no update. But when I called to change my address to a PO BOX because our mail was getting lost in our apartment building, they said that they cannot do it. After many questions back & force they wanted to transfer me to another call center, and I asked why do you need to do that, he said that my file has been most proabably tranfered to our area district office.
If this was the case, then the online status check is not accurate for every case..Mine should have been updated same as my wife.

Regarding interview scheduling, who sets the date?? is it the district office in chicago where we are, or the date is set up before it leaves the DO to chicago.

Waiting for anyones input.

Thanks

my timeline
Application Sent - 5/19/2006
Received - 5/24/2006
Check Encashed - 5/30/2006.
Receipt date -6/05/2006
Fingerprint Notification -6/09/06
Finger Appointment - 06/17/06
Interview Date - ?
Oath Date - ??

Thanks Bulls-Fan and RakishS for your thoughtful input.
I have contacted FBI, and was told my FP was processed and turned over to INS the next day which was 06/02/2006 , called USICS filled out an inquiry form, and that all what I could.

" just wait and watch out for the mail man" that is exactly what the person on the phone had told me.

thanks all