Charlotte, NC - N-400 Timeline

Guys, I cant wait to finally become citizen, long patient waiting !!!

a) so how long is it currently taking for Charlotte?
b) I could apply under 90-day rule on 06/22/2009, but since currently laid off, should I hold-on (since I might need to move) or i should go ahead and apply in Charlotte, and then if need be, make address change ... any repurcussions ... etc.

Thanks all, peace

Apply now or wait for possible move

You might as well apply if your time is appropriate. If you have to move, you will let the govt know by using the address at the bottom of the letter that comes to say your N-400 has been received. If you move out of North Carolina, your file will be transferred to the office handling them for the state where you live.
PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SHOUTING. FOR THAT REASON, BE SURE TO MAKE COPIES OF ANYTHING YOU SEND TO THE GOVERNMENT. ANYTHING. AND KEEP RECORDS OF WHEN YOU DID THINGS. PUT THAT INTO THE FOLDER OF IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS ETC THAT YOU ARE KEEPING SAFE SOMEWHERE. AND FOR ALL THOSE DOCUMENTS, DO YOU HAVE BACKUP COPIES STORED SOMEPLACE ELSE IN CASE OF FIRE, THEFT, FLOOD, ETC?

Good luck. People going through the Charlotte office have all kinds of stories about timing. One poor fellow who still needed to work on his English got an appointment in three months after applying. Another person I know has been waiting much longer.

Thanks Rosemary, my concern is: i recall from Green Card processing that files once get transferred take a long time, due to additional work on USCIS.

If citizenship processing is similar to GC, then I'd rather wait or if submit application then keep part time residence atleast at my older location so as not to disrupt quick processing.

Wow, 3 months to get citizenship in Charlotte area would be incredible.

You might as well apply if your time is appropriate. If you have to move, you will let the govt know by using the address at the bottom of the letter that comes to say your N-400 has been received. If you move out of North Carolina, your file will be transferred to the office handling them for the state where you live.

basing actions on previous information

MrTitan, and all,
The green card processing is different from the naturalization application processing, and what happens in one place is not necessarily what happens in another, and what happened last week is not what will happen this week, or next! Don't base your decision on your own or anyone else's past experience.
It is imperative now that any change of address be immediately registered with the govt. In fact, even if you move from one apt to another in the same complex, or from one house on the street to another, a permanent resident has 10 days to indicate that move. The change of address form you complete for the post office has nothing to do with immigration matters.
On the N-400, you are asked for your present address and it will cause great problems if you are not telling the truth. EVerything on that N-400 has to be up-to-the-moment. At some point in the interview you will be asked to update any changes.
When anything happens to change any of the information on your original application, you need to write it down and bring that to the interview.
But, moving has only a 10 day window. There's a free form on the USCIS.gov site, AR-11 that you can fill in, or you can print and mail in. You ALSO need to call 800-375-5283 and change your address there. Then, when you get the letter back saying your N-400 has been received, you need to notify them by using the address at the bottom of that letter. It's possible that you have to make contact three different ways. THE COMPUTERS DO NOT TALK TO EACH OTHER about this matter.
Remember to keep a copy of anything you mail, and do a Print Screen or something to record what you are sending online! If you are working on something in the library, ask a librarian for help if you need it.

This is a great forum. :)

That said, is anyone scheduled or has recently came back from an interview in Charlotte? I know situations vary case by case but I would love to hear everyone's experience.

I sent in my N400 in March of this year and I now have an interviewed scheduled for June 17th (about 2 weeks from now). I'm excited. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
designated doctor for I-485 medical exam

Hi, an off topic question (but related to Charlotte):
Can anyone pls tell me which designated doctor in Charlotte area has the cheapest rate for the I-485 medical exam?

Thank you!

Anybody has a recent interview experience in Charlotte?
I did my fingerprint in Durham office but got the interview notice at Charlotte.
Hope the process goes smooth.

I thought Charlotte was a happening place for immigrants but not much activity on this thread.
My DO is Charlotte

CONGRATULATIONS Hjsin76

Anybody has a recent interview experience in Charlotte?
I did my fingerprint in Durham office but got the interview notice at Charlotte.
Hope the process goes smooth.

Good to know that your interview process is over HSJIN76.

Could you pls let us know more details of your interview ?
What docs did you carry / were required ? How long did it take to complete the process?
What kind of questions were asked? How was the ENGLISH test ? Any specific guidelines/questions out there in the websites for the test that U used ?
Also good to note that you have been given the letter for Oath on the same day (instead of making us wait for some more time).

Gee24

I was so surprised to see my ID here~
Yes. I had my interview passed last Thursday and got the oath letter. And my oath date is 9/10, 2 weeks from the interview.

First of all, Mine was a 3 year marriage case therefore, the required documents might a little different from 5 year cases.

I brought 5 year tax return (2 yr individual + 3 yr joint return), marriage certificate, my husband's passport, my daughter's birth certificate, and some proof of residence like bank statement.

Certainly i brought my Green card, drivers license, SSN card, passports.

The office was pretty easy to find and had ample parking lots. I've waited about 30 min and spent about 20 min on the interview. The officer was pretty nice yet professional. He asked me to show Green card, drivers license, SSN card, passports.. He started with N400 questions and did not ask any wierd or unexpected questions. Then he said to have the test.

My 6 questions were
who wrote the declaration of independende?
who is the in charge of the executive branch?
what is the two major political parties?
one state to border Mexico
Name 3 original colonies.
What is the current president's political party?

reading: who elects the Congress?

writing: People elect the Congress?

And then, he printed out something and showed me if everything was correct. The printout contains my name, nationality, birth day so on...
he said that i did very well and the oath is 9/10. Apprently everybody gets the oath letter on the same day.

I just had studied 100 civic questions and nothing special. I went over my application several times and prepared for any additional questions.

Good luck to you. Hope this post helps future charlotte candidates.

Good to know that your interview process is over HSJIN76.

Could you pls let us know more details of your interview ?
What docs did you carry / were required ? How long did it take to complete the process?
What kind of questions were asked? How was the ENGLISH test ? Any specific guidelines/questions out there in the websites for the test that U used ?
Also good to note that you have been given the letter for Oath on the same day (instead of making us wait for some more time).

Gee24

hsjin76__ THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE

Many thanks for sharing your experience in this forum.

Gee24

Bringing children to Interview/Oath@Charlotte office?

Hello,
Does any one know if the Charlotte DO allows folks to bring children under
1yrs along with for the interview and the oath?

Wife and i are confused as to whether we should file separately or together??

Experienced folks with kids could you please share what you did?

Thanks,
Speedy

Please see if this helps?

Hello,
Does any one know if the Charlotte DO allows folks to bring children under
1yrs along with for the interview and the oath?

Wife and i are confused as to whether we should file separately or together??

Experienced folks with kids could you please share what you did?

Thanks,
Speedy
http://www.u-s-a-immigration.com/INS/naturalization.htm
Children
There are several ways foreign-born children of U.S. citizens may obtain evidence of citizenship:
Generally, U.S. citizen parents of children born abroad may file an N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship. This form should be completed in accordance with the instructions provided and should be accompanied by 2 photographs of the child, copies of any documents that verify eligibility, and the required filing fee to be considered complete and ready to process.
Important note: Children born abroad of U.S. citizen parents derive citizenship from their parents. The Certificate of Citizenship is merely a record of citizenship - it does not confer citizenship on an applicant.
Adopted children of citizen parents acquire citizenship. For adopted children, adoptive parents file an N-643 instead of an N-600. However, adopted children over 18 must file an N-400.

I am not an Attorney. These are just from another Immgrn website.

OR call the 800 number given in the receipt. They will provide the right answer to your question.

gee24

Gee,

Thanks for your lengthy reply:). However, my question was is it ok to take the children along me to my interview/oath in Charlotte DO?? not about applying for their citizenship.

Thanks,

You will NOT take the interview together, I guess

Gee,

Thanks for your lengthy reply:). However, my question was is it ok to take the children along me to my interview/oath in Charlotte DO?? not about applying for their citizenship.

Thanks,

Sorry. I misunderstood your question. Please note that you guys will be taking the interview separately (not together).
Therefore, my guess is, one of you could hold your baby while the other appears for interview. Just my guess.
I would suggest "please call Charlotte DO".
Also, my spouse would be scheduled for interview, probably in another 5 weeks time (probably before your interview is due).
She submitted her N400 on Aug 24th and got her FP done on 9/18/09.
I will have her check on this with the Interviewing officer (whether you can carry you kid to Charlotte DO.............) and let you know when she is done.... good luck.
Hope this helps.

Gee

Charlotte DO Sept 2009 timeline

Filing based on 5 year LPR

DO: Charlotte, NC
09/16/09: Fedex N400 to TX lockbox
09/17/09: N-400 Received
09/21/09: Check cashed
09/24/09: NOA received (Notice/Priority Date of 09/18/2009)
x/xx/09: FP notice received
x/xx/09: FP appointment
x/xx/09: IL received
x/xx/09: ID