Canada PR + US PR

mygcwaitover

Registered Users (C)
I applied for Canadian Immigration and successfully got one in 2003 while I was going through my US immigration. I got Canadian first so I took landing there in 2003 and came back within couple days to continue my job here in USA. I never visited Canada after that. After couple of years I got my US immigration as well and have maintained that. I have traveled to India couple times after that and came back in to USA using my GC without any issues.

I was planning a vacation in Canada this year. Does anybody here think I will have any issues
1. Going into Canada?
2. Coming back to US?

As far as I know I need only my GC to come back to US. Do I need any other documents to come back in to USA

Is US GC enough to travel to Canada?

As always thanks for your response.

I applied for Canadian Immigration and successfully got one in 2003 while I was going through my US immigration. I got Canadian first so I took landing there in 2003 and came back within couple days to continue my job here in USA. I never visited Canada after that. After couple of years I got my US immigration as well and have maintained that. I have traveled to India couple times after that and came back in to USA using my GC without any issues.

I was planning a vacation in Canada this year. Does anybody here think I will have any issues
1. Going into Canada?
2. Coming back to US?

As far as I know I need only my GC to come back to US. Do I need any other documents to come back in to USA

Is US GC enough to travel to Canada?

As always thanks for your response.

You are good to go and to come back with your US GC only.

You abandoned your Canadian PR status 3 years from the day you last left Canada. Enter Canada as a GC holder. You can surrender your maple card on the Canadian border if you feel like it.

I applied for Canadian Immigration and successfully got one in 2003 while I was going through my US immigration. I got Canadian first so I took landing there in 2003 and came back within couple days to continue my job here in USA.

You abandoned your Canadian PR status 3 years from the day you last left Canada. Enter Canada as a GC holder. You can surrender your maple card on the Canadian border if you feel like it.

Thanks for responses.
Is that the law that we notify Canadian authorities of the abandonment? Can I do it online or through a letter? I would rather do it sitting at home than at the border :)

Thanks for responses.
Is that the law that we notify Canadian authorities of the abandonment? Can I do it online or through a letter? I would rather do it sitting at home than at the border :)

Canada PR Card is not automaticaly cancelled.

To cancel your Canadian Permanent Residency, this is what the Canadian Consulate Recommends

If you are certain that you want to relinquish your permanent resident status in Canada, you can send your permanent resident card along with a letter stating you are relinquishing your status to:

The Query Response Center

Canadian Building

219 Laurier West Ave

4th Floor, Room C-450

Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1

Canadian Consulate General

Immigration Section

buffalo-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
Canada PR Card is not automaticaly cancelled.

To cancel your Canadian Permanent Residency, this is what the Canadian Consulate Recommends

If you are certain that you want to relinquish your permanent resident status in Canada, you can send your permanent resident card along with a letter stating you are relinquishing your status to:

The Query Response Center

Canadian Building

219 Laurier West Ave

4th Floor, Room C-450

Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1

Canadian Consulate General

Immigration Section

buffalo-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Good info. Thanks. will follow suit after my visit.