can i keep gc during oath?

n400cal

Guys,

Understand I suppose to give up GC during oath, but I'd like to keep the physical card if possible. Will I be denied oath if I don't bring GC? What happens to people that lose the card before GC?

Thanks for any experience / info.

Guys,

Understand I suppose to give up GC during oath, but I'd like to keep the physical card if possible. Will I be denied oath if I don't bring GC? What happens to people that lose the card before GC?

Thanks for any experience / info.

Why?
Yes you will be sent back and asked to bring it to the next oath.
For people who have lost GC, they will be expected to provide proof of loss(e.g. police report) and / or proof that you applied for replacement. The IO at the ceremony may let you take a oath.

Let me explain the reason.

Unlike you TripleC, I am from a country where Dual Citizenship is not allowed. After getting US Passport, I will have no issue spending money and applying for visas to live/work/visit my country of origin. However, after I surrender my original passport, all my properties, business, social benefits and etc at the home country will have a great chance to be re-categorized since I will be treated as a foreigner.

Not sure this is a mature thought, but if somehow I can keep the GC, I will be able to travel with my original passport to my home country. My home country's social system won't be notified of my change of citizenship. Hopefully I will find a better solution before the GC expires, in another 5 years.

Clearly, I know the scenario is somehow violating the regulations in my home country, but it will be worth the risk for me. Any thoughts/experiences from you guys are highly appreciated.

Unlike you TripleC, I am from a country where Dual Citizenship is not allowed. After getting US Passport, I will have no issue spending money and applying for visas to live/work/visit my country of origin. However, after I surrender my original passport, all my properties, business, social benefits and etc at the home country will have a great chance to be re-categorized since I will be treated as a foreigner.

Then you should consider this before becoming a US citizen.

Clearly, I know the scenario is somehow violating the regulations in my home country, but it will be worth the risk for me. Any thoughts/experiences from you guys are highly appreciated.

No one's going to advise you on how to commit fraud. Liars like you give honest immigrants a bad name.

Any exchange of information between your original country and your adopted country will result in a) the original country finding out about your US citizenship, b) your adopted country finding out that you've been using fraud to get benefits from a country where you're not supposed to get benefits from (anymore).

That will result in severe penalties from both sides so if I were you, I wouldn't try to game the system. Get a visa and be done with it.

I don't want to advise anybody on doing something wrong. However, in the past I have heard of people being able to maintain a "double" life in the sense of keeping both nationalities even when one country doesn't recognize dual citizens. It's up to you what you will have to do, but if it involves filing a false police report I think that would cross the line. I think a couple of decades ago it was easier to hide dual citizenships.

Not sure this is a mature thought, but if somehow I can keep the GC, I will be able to travel with my original passport to my home country. My home country's social system won't be notified of my change of citizenship.
That's what you think. In this age of terrorism awareness, governments are increasingly sharing information with each other and the airlines, and you never know what information they will transmit tomorrow or next year or 5 years from now.

I suppose you plan to show the invalidated GC when you are leaving your original country to return to the US. What if they swipe your GC at the airport in your country and they see it is not valid? (this is not hypothetical; they swiped the GC in my country of citizenship before letting me board the flight.) They won't let you on the flight unless you show your US passport. And if you show your US passport, your plot gets discovered.
Hopefully I will find a better solution before the GC expires, in another 5 years.
I already have a better solution: Keep the GC and don't become a US citizen.

I don't want to advise anybody on doing something wrong. However, in the past I have heard of people being able to maintain a "double" life in the sense of keeping both nationalities even when one country doesn't recognize dual citizens. It's up to you what you will have to do, but if it involves filing a false police report I think that would cross the line. I think a couple of decades ago it was easier to hide dual citizenships.

Why people don't just change their names and use the US passport all the time - when you get to your country use the US passport with the new name.

Not sure this is a mature thought, but if somehow I can keep the GC, I will be able to travel with my original passport to my home country. My home country's social system won't be notified of my change of citizenship. Hopefully I will find a better solution before the GC expires, in another 5 years.

I hope you realize that it is exactly what is called fraud. And, if caught, you stand the risk to get tried by US Courts as well as the court at your country of origin.

Why?
Yes you will be sent back and asked to bring it to the next oath.
For people who have lost GC, they will be expected to provide proof of loss(e.g. police report) and / or proof that you applied for replacement. The IO at the ceremony may let you take a oath.
While this is supposedly true, I did see a case when I was waiting for my interview to be called. A white American lady, with a little child was there to get her hispanic husband naturalized. When called to sign the naturalization certificate he was asked to return his green card. He forgot to get his green card, and his wife pleaded with the officer at the window to let him go. She had a very cute child (~4 years old), who also pleaded with the officer :)
Surprise, Surprise - He was excused and asked to mail the GC later.
He was allowed to take the oath. Waiting a long time that day, I have seen things that are contrary to what I have learned.
Having said this, these are exceptional cases and might not work in most cases !

If your country of origin does not allow dual citizenship, then it would be illegal for you to use your old passport to travel with, let alone use it in conjunction with an invalid GC. There are rules in place for specific reasons, don't try to think you can overcome those rules and not get caught.
You can always not go your oath and withdraw your US citizenship application. That way you get to travel on your GC as before.

Well since the Green Card is property of the Government I believe, I honestly don't think they will let you keep it anyways. Once you are a citizen they want to remove the card so that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands and someone else tries to use it to pass of as a Green Card holder when they are not.

They remove the cards to be destroyed. They won't let you keep it. The best thing you can do is photo copy it and that will be that.

So in this situation you need to make a decision. Simple as that. USC or not USC...

That makes it very simple for you. Ask yourself what is more important. US citizenship or benefits in your country of current citizenship. Once you know the answer, take the appropriate steps!!!

Unlike you TripleC, I am from a country where Dual Citizenship is not allowed.