Born in Canada to US Parent

I am aware of that, but in Alberta you can go to the ministry of health and say I am moving permanently to Alberta today. Coverage will start there and then :)

It's not as simple as saying you are moving to Alberta permanently. You still have to provide proof of Alberta residency when you sign up. Also, you'll still have to pay out of pocket for any health service until residency validation (although you are reimbursed later once you can show you were entitled to coverage). Coverage may start on day one, but it doesn't mean there's no out of pocket cost from day one.

I never raised doubts with regards to not having proof. Proof of residnce is needed, always. However, one bill/statement does the trick. I have not lived in Ontario since 2003. I have a checking account with $51.00 in it and thus I get monthly statements. If I really want to, on my next visit to see my folks in Toronto, I can get my OHIP coverage back (after 90 days of wait since it is Ontario, not Alberta) just by using that monthly statement and my proof of Canadian citizenship. Please do not get me wrong. I am not advocating fraud in any form or shape. I am just saying it doable and I am sure people do it on a daily basis!!!

It's not as simple as saying you are moving to Alberta permanently.

I never raised doubts with regards to not having proof. Proof of residnce is needed, always. However, one bill/statement does the trick. I have not lived in Ontario since 2003. I have a checking account with $51.00 in it and thus I get monthly statements. If I really want to, on my next visit to see my folks in Toronto, I can get my OHIP coverage back (after 90 days of wait since it is Ontario, not Alberta) just by using that monthly statement and my proof of Canadian citizenship. Please do not get me wrong. I am not advocating fraud in any form or shape. I am just saying it doable and I am sure people do it on a daily basis!!!

Maybe I should have clarified: you must provide valid proof of residency for coverage. I'm sure there are many things you can do illegally to get immediate health coverage in Canada.

Did you just admit you are (falsely) using a Ontario home address on your bank account ?:eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The bank is aware I live in the US since they posted me to their Chicago branch in 2003. However they do not send staff account statements to non-Canadian addresses. Since the balance is under $100, Revenue Canada does not consider that as a strong enough financial tie to Canada that deems me to fill in a tax return.

Are you saying you currently have a bank account with an Ontario home address you don't reside at?

The bank is aware I live in the US since they posted me to their Chicago branch in 2003. However they do not send staff account statements to non-Canadian addresses. Since the balance is under $100, Revenue Canada does not consider that as a strong enough financial tie to Canada that deems me to fill in a tax return.

So you're using the Ontario address as a mailing address for the bank statements? How else would you prove Ontario residency with a bank statement that shows a mailing address you don't reside at?

You seem to be missing the point here. I do not use that statement for anything. I will make one more attempt to explain what I said and then I will give up.
My entire life, financial, social, professional, etc in here in Chicago, Illinois. Before moving to the US, I used to work for a Canadian bank with a branch in Chicago. When I told them I am moving to the US to be with my wife, they offered me a job at their Chicago branch. I cut all ties to Canada and moved to the US and opened back accounts in the US. However being a staff member that was originally hired in Canada and then transferred to the US, for payroll purposes, my bank kept a single checking account in Canada with a balance of less than $100. I do not use that account nor does the bank pay me my salary into that account. It is totally silent. Once I reach 55 and if my employer is still around, I will get some money into that account.
Now, I get a bank statement every month showing my name and a Canadian address (my father's house, where I used to live). If I want to commit fraud, I can take that monthly statement to OHIP and use it to get my OHIP card. The ministry of health, just by looking at that statement, will deem that I live and work in Ontario.
I hope this makes sense.
Phew!

How else would you prove Ontario residency with a bank statement that shows a mailing address you don't reside at?

Seeing he is retired, I doubt he is moving anywhere. However if it happens, I will ask my bank to send those statement to my bank's CEO's place. After all, it is their policy, they need to deal with it :)

And what happens to the bank monthly statements if your dad moves to Alberta?:D

Seeing he is retired, I doubt he is moving anywhere. However if it happens, I will ask my bank to send those statement to my bank's CEO's place. After all, it is their policy, they need to deal with it :)

Triple,

Just send the bank statement to my house in Ontario. My neighbor checks my mail every month, and fedex everything to my house in DC. I have a 32X32 mail box..:cool: So, since you have less than $100 to your name in Canada, I see no harm in me receiving those statement, especially as your dad is seriously considering a move to Alberta..:D

I picked up my certificate of citizenship today....exactly four weeks since the day i filed my application!!

I picked up my certificate of citizenship today....exactly four weeks since the day i filed my application!!

Congratulations. Now fix your social security card, make a good clear copy of the certificate, fix your passport, put the certificate in a safe place, get back to work, and lastly some have fun in a long time I guess.

I applied for a new social security card and it should be coming any day now.....the way i got this expedited was when i filed the n-600 i attached a cover letter explaining my situation....i typed the word "urgent" in bold and red at the top....i called my congressman who made some calls....and i went there once a week to check on the status of my application.....in general I was a pain in the a**.....not to mention when i filed the person i spoke to was a single mother who maybe had a little compassion for me...she actually called me on the telephone to tell me my certificate was ready.

** Both of my boys were born in the US so they will never have to deal with this headache.