Big mistake in filling for N-400??

jllag1

Registered Users (C)
I got my PR on 09/25/2003. I applied for N-400 yesterday based on 5 years of PR. I have only been out of country once since 09/25/2003 for 15 days. Just that one visit. If I am correct, I can apply any day after 06/25/2008 (90 days previous to the 5 year anniversary). Am I correct in this assumption? If I am wrong, I need to put a stop check order... Any replies will be much appreciated. Thanks.

No issues. you are 200% fine! relax! Only issue comes up if you stay outside usa more than 6 months.

I got my PR on 09/25/2003. I applied for N-400 yesterday based on 5 years of PR. I have only been out of country once since 09/25/2003 for 15 days. Just that one visit. If I am correct, I can apply any day after 06/25/2008 (90 days previous to the 5 year anniversary). Am I correct in this assumption? If I am wrong, I need to put a stop check order... Any replies will be much appreciated. Thanks.

It's 90 days before your PR not 3 months. So you may need to check on the 6/25 date, it might be a few days different as some months have 30 days and others have 31...

The N-400 instructions state: "If you are applying based on five years as a Lawful Permanent Resident ... you may apply for naturalization up to 90 days before you meet the ''continuous residence'' requirement."

By my calculations 90 days before 9/25 is 6/27. PLEASE CHECK my calculations before you take any action but it looks like 6/25 is two days too early.

However what date is considered your application date - when you sign the N-400, when you post it (postmark), or the receipt date? I suspect it USCIS would take the date you signed the application.

Right. I signed it yesterday with "07/01/2008" date. I send it yesterday by USPS priority mail. So I guessing that I should be fine.

It is all about Priority Date (PD). PD is usually 1 to 3 days after you send your application, so if you sent it on 6/25 by regular mail, it may not get there before 6/27, so you will be fine. But if you sent it before 6/25 and it is received and processed before 6/27, then your application will be denied.

Right. I signed it yesterday with "07/01/2008" date. I send it yesterday by USPS priority mail. So I guessing that I should be fine.

You are fine, unless you run into my case to have your interview schedule before your 5-year anniversary, then your interview will be cancelled as mine was.

You are fine, unless you run into my case to have your interview schedule before your 5-year anniversary, then your interview will be cancelled as mine was.

Ha, I did not think of that one.... Well, I am in San Antonio, TX, so hopefully should not run into that problem..

I think you are going to be perfectly fine. The general advice in this forum is to never sign or mail the application before the 90 days period. I am not sure if the PD is going to save you. I am pretty sure that if someone sent the application last July and the PD ended up being October or so due to the frontlog and the person was eligible to apply in August, instead of July the application would be rejected. That would be my guess anyway. In my case I definitely made a point of signing and mailing a few days into the 90 days period to be on the safe side.

Not neccessarily. Interview can still take place. Oath should not be schduled before 5 (or 3) years are up.

It is all about Priority Date (PD). PD is usually 1 to 3 days after you send your application, so if you sent it on 6/25 by regular mail, it may not get there before 6/27, so you will be fine. But if you sent it before 6/25 and it is received and processed before 6/27, then your application will be denied.

Just pray that USCIS doesn't use postmark date as PD. For example, my PD is 1 day earlier than postmark (still haven't figure how USCIS came up with that).
But since the OP has indicated it was sent off July 1st, this is not an issue in his case.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why I considered the number 88 and not 90 as the starter pistol for both my I-751 and N-400. I was not willing to pay the price for someone's weak arithmetic :)

But since the OP has indicated it was sent off July 1st, this is not an issue in his case.

My rule of thumb is 85 days, plug the 5 year anniversary date on a spreadsheet and subtract 85 days. That definitely take care of any doubts, like is it alright if I apply exactly on the 90th day, can I apply the exact day of my five year anniversary or one day later, and all those kind of not easy to answer questions. 88 days looks fine to me too, but 85 gives even more peace of mind. :)

Yes , you can.

Thanks for all your replies. I am looking forward to the day I become an "ordinary" american. :)

As far I can remember off the top of my head, the law says that the date they receive the application is the date that counts. The USCIS does not usually go by post mark dates.

90 days before 9/25 would be 6/27 so your application risks being rejected if you filed earlier than 6/27.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=6&d1=27&y1=2008&m2=9&d2=25&y2=2008

Bob,
I just come a cross your input, does the end date exclude from the count. If that is the case then I sent my application on the 90 days and TSC received on the 89 days.
Here is my info,
My green card date is 3/2/2004 and I sent my application on 12/2/2008. TSC received on 12/3/2008 no priorty date yet.