best way for a Canadian to get GC in US

apkesh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am curious to know what the best (and fastest) way for a Canadian professionals to get GC in the US, besides marrying a US citizen or going the H1-B route?

I am curious to know what the best (and fastest) way for a Canadian professionals to get GC in the US, besides marrying a US citizen or going the H1-B route?

Marriage to a US citizen and employment sponsorship are the typical routes. There are very few other options, outside of eligibility for the DV lottery (for naturalized Canadians) and certain other special immigrant categories.

Marriage to a US citizen and employment sponsorship are the typical routes. There are very few other options, outside of eligibility for the DV lottery (for naturalized Canadians) and certain other special immigrant categories.

Thank you TheRealCanadian for that quick reply. Can you elaborate on "other special immigrant categries"(or mention the visa types perhaps) if you know of any..

It's too bad that the US and Canada don't have a sort of open border with the free movement of people, similar to some aspects of the EU. That would be cool, since the US and Canada are so similar... but, I guess they're also so different in some ways, eh?

Can you elaborate on "other special immigrant categries"(or mention the visa types perhaps) if you know of any..

Most likely, you would not qualify for them (Iraqi interpreter, victim of trafficking, special legislation). Seriously, employment sponsorship or relative sponsorship are the only practical ways.

Hi,

Assuming you are a Canadian citizen on TN status, how about going from TN ---> GC directly?

Thanks

F_R

O.k, what can go wrong ? Or put another way, what are the pros / cons of going TN ---> GC vs TN ---> H1 ---> GC route ?

Thanks in advance

F-R

Thank you TheRealCanadian for that quick reply. Can you elaborate on "other special immigrant categries"(or mention the visa types perhaps) if you know of any..
If you have a few hundred thousand or a few million to invest in a venture in the US you can apply for EB (investor) status then move to GC then to US Citizenship.
Seriously, like Real says, employment or marriage based routes are the most common for Canadians.

If you have a few hundred thousand or a few million to invest in a venture in the US you can apply for EB (investor) status then move to GC then to US Citizenship.
Seriously, like Real says, employment or marriage based routes are the most common for Canadians.

Would investing in a rental property in the US (i.e: condo) valid for EB?