Benefits of having a Green Card !!!

Here are a few more benefits that came up during a conversation with a friend of mine at work:

(i) No need for a transit visa for European countries. (This benefit is mainly for those from Asia who require a transit visa for Frankfurt, London, Paris etc even if they don't intend to leave the airport)

(ii) Makes one eligible for applying for citizenship after 4 years and 9 months.

(iii) Ability to get social security benefits after retirement, which one would lose if he or she were a non immigrant.

(iv) Don't have to worry about H1 annual limit quota/ imposition of quota for L1/ Changes in visa categories/ monthly visa bulletin etc

(v) If you earn an income in your original country, you might be able to get some tax benefit if you file as a non resident if such a classification exists in the country in question.

(vi) You can pay only a small percentage of the fees for some county college courses as opposed to paying an exorbitant sum charged for non immigrants.

Here are a few more benefits that came up during a conversation with a friend of mine at work:

(i) No need for a transit visa for European countries. (This benefit is mainly for those from Asia who require a transit visa for Frankfurt, London, Paris etc even if they don't intend to leave the airport)

(ii) Makes one eligible for applying for citizenship after 4 years and 9 months.

(iii) Ability to get social security benefits after retirement, which one would lose if he or she were a non immigrant.

(iv) Don't have to worry about H1 annual limit quota/ imposition of quota for L1/ Changes in visa categories/ monthly visa bulletin etc

(v) If you earn an income in your original country, you might be able to get some tax benefit if you file as a non resident if such a classification exists in the country in question.

(vi) You can pay only a small percentage of the fees for some county college courses as opposed to paying an exorbitant sum charged for non immigrants.
For some people, because of their country of citizenship they don't have to wait for a green card to get benefits (i), (iii), or (v). Also, for (vi) some states allow paying state-resident tuition fees with an H1 or L1 or pending I-485.

The story of the US citizen is even funnier. You know why he was turned away at Sydney airport? The POE officer casually asked him, "Sir, do you have a criminal record?". The guy (trying to be funny) goes, "No, do people still need one to enter Australia?". He paid the price for his comment!!!

lol thats funny

Govt jobs

I do know that the Fed jobs in health care generally prefer US citizens. E.g the VA does this. Even if you get hired on a H-visa, or GC, you could lose your job if a citizen comes there way. If you are on a GC with them, they will insist you apply for citizenship when you are eligible.

If you are in the VA and wish for apply for certain types of grants ( career development awards), then you have to be a US citizen ( a recent rule change, done in 2005).

The FDA is pretty strict about hiring US citizens for most their permanent positions. With GC you can get a decent position there, only trainess positions.

For the top jobs at the NIH, you need US citizenship.

That is not true at all, unless you're talking about political or judicial positions. Outside of that, only a small percentage of government jobs are restricted only to US citizens, mainly those that relate to national security.

Some jobs may put "US citizens only" in the ad, but when you check it out they also meant permanent residents. Many Americans don't realize there is a difference between green cards and citizenship.

That's not true. the thread you respended to is very right. Now some places you are even required to be a US citizen TO BE A SIMPLE FIREMAN!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a bus driver for a publicly run bus system is a government job. So is being a cop. So is being a programmer at a state government office. So is being in the US military. So is being a teacher at a public school. You don't need to be a US citizen to have those jobs.

The citizenship requirement is just for security-sensitive positions in Federal government agencies like the FBI or CIA (or contractors who work closely with them), or political officials (Mayor, Governor, Senator, etc.).

Yes you have to be a US citizen to be a Cop and Fireman!

http://www.nysun.com/article/5438?page_no=1

That article was from 2004, however the law DID NOT pass.

http://www.nypd2.org/html/recruit/faqs.html#US_citizen
-Must be US citizen to be Cop.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/ff_eligibility_requirements_080106.shtml
-Must be US citizen TO BE A FIREMAN......WHY????

And as for the Miltary, for all you PR who want to join......
http://www.afreserve.com/eligibility.asp

Some states or cities are stupid enough to require citizenship for being a cop or fireman. Looks like you'll have to move if that's what you really want to do. Or wait a number of years.

The maximum age requirement of 29 for NYC is also stupid.

Some states or cities are stupid enough to require citizenship for being a cop or fireman. Looks like you'll have to move if that's what you really want to do. Or wait a number of years.

The maximum age requirement of 29 for NYX is also stupid.

No jackolantern, all states require US citizenship! I know this for sure in Florida where I am, at least to be a cop. How do you like that "US citizen in most cases," for the Airforce. I have researched most states, most all require US citizenship for fire, cop, and other fun jobs. It sucks!

No jackolantern, all states require US citizenship! I know this for sure in Florida where I am, at least to be a cop. How do you like that "US citizen in most cases," for the Airforce. I have researched most states, most all require US citizenship for fire, cop, and other fun jobs. It sucks!
Seattle apparently doesn't require citizenship to be a fireman, but they do for police (the application for police says US citizenship is required, but the application to be a firefighter doesn't ... also see the training course requirements at http://www.wa.gov/wsp/fire/marine.htm).

Others will hire permanent residents if they've applied for citizenship.

The military hires many green card holders (even if the Air Force might be more strict about it). Which goes to show how stupid the police/fire requirements are, because if there is going to be a conflict of interest due to lack of citizenship, it would happen in an international conflict, not in local-level operations like fire and police. But the military doesn't have a problem with noncitizens except in certain positions.

I'm thinking that it must be the police and fire unions who are the main force behind keeping permanent residents out, because if the supply increased as a result of permanent residents becoming eligible, their wages would go down.

Seattle apparently doesn't require citizenship to be a fireman, but they do for police (the application for police says US citizenship is required, but the application to be a firefighter doesn't ... also see the training course requirements at http://www.wa.gov/wsp/fire/marine.htm).

The military hires many green card holders (even if the Air Force might be more strict about it). Which goes to show how stupid the police/fire requirements are, because if there is going to be a conflict of interest due to lack of citizenship, it would happen in an international conflict, not in local-level operations like fire and police. But the military doesn't have a problem with noncitizens except in certain positions.

I'm thinking that it must be the police and fire unions who are the main force behind keeping permanent residents out, because if the supply increased as a result of permanent residents becoming eligible, their wages would go down.

It isn't just the police and fire unions. For example, in North Carolina (where I currently reside) to apply for the state board's CPA licensure and practice, possesing a Green Card is not enough. You need to be a citizen. I think the same is the case for few other states too. Exclusion (biased) policies are not always straightforward.

Cheers,
Speedy1027

Good reply,
However you see my point though. How can New York FDNY require US citizenship, But Washington state doesn't. How can the unions legally keep LPR's out of employment? USCIS is federal right? USCIS give LPR permission to work wherever one chooses too. Unions should not be able to pick and choose whomever they see fit to hire.

in North Carolina (where I currently reside) to apply for the state board's CPA licensure and practice, possesing a Green Card is not enough. You need to be a citizen. I think the same is the case for few other states too. Exclusion (biased) policies are not always straightforward.

Cheers,
Speedy1027

Are you sure about that? It sounds like to be an unconstitutional form of discrimination.

Good reply,
However you see my point though. How can New York FDNY require US citizenship, But Washington state doesn't. How can the unions legally keep LPR's out of employment? USCIS is federal right? USCIS give LPR permission to work wherever one chooses too. Unions should not be able to pick and choose whomever they see fit to hire.

Green card holders in the military cannot become officers.

What about being a fireman? or a school bus driver? is that a goverment sensative job? The list goes on....

There are cases out there and you can research them at your leisure (I do not have the cases in my brain).

Seems like all the miltary wants are PR in the frontline.

Just remember for now when a PR joins the military he can apply for citizenship immediately. This is a temporary war time benefit and will end once the armed conflicts in which the United States engages are finished.

what do be loose when we get a GC compared to H1

Well we seen lots of benifits that come with Green Card here in this thread.
I was wondering is there anything that we loose when we get a green card?

Can anyone think of any situation that is better served with a H1/EAD rather than a GC?

Is there anything we sacrifice when we get GC?

neo