Baltimore transfer at 8/6 (RD 1/16/2002)

That is great news Saurnav.... Good luck with the prep and successful interview.

Good luck to 485Someday for tomorrow's interview.

All is well that ends well...

Cheers!!!
V!

*** Interview went smooth ***

Guys:
Dont stress over the interview. It was a breeze. It helps spending time getting all the documents organized in a binder with tabs on them saying what they are.

We had broken our binder into three subsections.
Mandatory docs (stuff listed in the interview letter)
Copies
Orignals

This is what we took
CHECKLIST
· 3 years Tax filing papers
· W-2 for last 3 years
· All EAD & AP
· Passport
· Driving licenses
· Birth certificate & Affidavit Letter
· Certificate of birth from Embassy
· Marriage certificate
· Interview letter
· 3 recent pay stubs
· Recent FP completion proof
· 2 passport style photographs
· Bank CD Deposit (with both Spouse & Self listed)
· Home Ownership (with both Spouse & Self listed)
· Car Insurance/Health Insurance (with both Spouse & Self listed)
· I-94 cards
· Copy of Approved I-140
· Copy of I-485 receipt Notices
· Undergraduate Certificate
· Recent employer letter
· Copy of ETA-750 Labor Certification Package
· Employer’s 10k financial statements
. Copy of Transfer Notice

You get asked your name, address, marriage date (make sure you give the legal date and not the religous ceremony date if they are different), fathers name, mothers name & a lot of questions you say "No" to like.
Have u ever been denied entry in US?
Have u smuggled illegal aliens into the US? (I laughed at that one)
Have u ever applied for permanent residence b4?
Have u ever committed purjery?
Convicted of crime in any country etc. etc. etc.?

Documents the officer was looking for:
Birth Certificates whatever shape/language they are in.(even if you have submitted Non availability birth affadivits)
3 recent paystubs
3 yrs tax returns
Current employment letter
Company's financial 10k statement

She took our signatures and fingerprint on the form used for the actual greencard and said you should hear something in the mail.

We asked how long?
She said within 120 days...and she added it should be more like a month.
And bring EAD's and AP's when u come back to get stamped.

She added 120 days is the time before you can make an inquiry.

Regards & Good luck to all,
485someday

hi 485someday,

That's really good to hear that your interview went well!!!!

can you please clarify couple of questions.

1. Did you take the tax transcripts from IRS?? or did you take the detail copy of 1040??

2. Did they look closely at the birth certificate?? Did you present the "Non availability birth affadivits" voluntarily??

thanks
GlenMD

as 485someday said ..."marriage date (make sure you give the legal date and not the religous ceremony date if they are different)",.... My husband gave the religius ceremony date, he didn't even remember we had a civil marriage, I was about to kick him :eek: !!!!!!!!! But I explained to the officer that was a culture thing and he understud...... ufff!
:)
good luck to everyone in the interview!!!! :)

Hi 485someday,

Good to hear that you had a smooth interview. Wish you get your approval quickly.

Do you think that your effort for a forced new fingerprint after you received interview letter did actually help. Did you ask if they have already received your security clearance such as results from name chack etc. My attorney is advicing me not to visit the center with the request for a new FP (my last FP is more than two years old) and is saying that they will request for one if they need one at the time of interview. He asked me to keep my papers straight and not interfere in their process. So it will help to hear from you and also from others on this issue. Thanks.

glenmd
1. Did you take the tax transcripts from IRS?? or did you take the detail copy of 1040?? I took both, but I submitted W-2's with IRS tax transcripts.

2. Did they look closely at the birth certificate?? Did you present the "Non availability birth affadivits" voluntarily??
The officer already had both of them in the file, they just want to find out if the birth certificate is orignal. My wife's was actually in a different language, the officer looked at it, looked at the nonavailability affidavit and thats it.

saurnav
Do you think that your effort for a forced new fingerprint after you received interview letter did actually help. Did you ask if they have already received your security clearance such as results from name chack etc. My attorney is advicing me not to visit the center with the request for a new FP (my last FP is more than two years old) and is saying that they will request for one if they need one at the time of interview. He asked me to keep my papers straight and not interfere in their process. So it will help to hear from you and also from others on this issue.

Yes, otherwise you will go to the interview, they will say FP more than 15 months old and please go retake em and come back in 3 months. My corporate attroney actually suggested that I should go with my interview letter and ask em to give me another FP and I am glad that I did. At the interview I did not specifically ask about my FP clearance, but did ask is there anything else you forsee needing from us...the officer said no everything looks like its in order.

Regards,
485someday

485someday,

Thanks. So it looks like your attorney actually suggested to go to the center and get an FP done before the interview. Why do you think that they will ask to come back for interview again after 3 months if they request for another FP at the time of interview. Is it not that they will interview on the same day as per the schedule of the interview lketter I received and request for another FP during the interview process. Afterall not receiving a notice for a second FP is not our fault, it is part of their processing.

Also, I am getting earliest infopass apointment on 6th April, and my interview is on 18th April, so there will be only 12 days gap. Is it enough?

Some friends are also saying that going to the center may not help as they may not issue an instant FP notice. It is just a chance that they did it for you, may be the officer was too good. They also say that the officer, rather than issuing an FP notice, may even put a tag on the file that the process is incomplete and it may not help at the the time of interview. Somebody also said that once a FP is done they do not approve for three months, and may be they do not need a 2nd FP in my case and asking for a 2nd FP may delay the approval by three months after the interview. I am really confused. Although you already said that it helped for you but will be helpful to know what you suggest for me in view of the concerns raised by others. Will highly appreciate your reply.

I will also appreciate comments and suggestions from GURUS in the forum as what should be a good approach - to visit the center and request for a forced new FP (as my last FP is 2 years oled) before the interview or go to the interview and see what the officer say.

Will appreciate response on this. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
485someday,
Congratulations.....
Glad to hear that you had a smooth sail with your interview. Thanks for your detailed feedback and tips.

Wish you a speedy "Stamping" and "Card" arrival.

I hope all "Waiting" have a smooth sail too.... (Mine is on Apr-06-2005)

A few questions.....
Did you have to get the Certificate of Birth from the Embassy...? Interview Letter states that Embassy Issued Docs are not accepted, right? Or did you just carry with you, in case....? Just curious.

Did you see if they were very rigorously checking the details of the Birth Certificate? I have a typo in the birth certificate [One letter mismatch :( in the place of birth] Wondering if they will fuss or understand the issue....

If i understand correct, you will be receiving another letter to goto Baltimore for stamping I-551 or will you be sent the approval/plastic cards as the next stage? or is it something like the others had.... "Recommended for Approval"?

Sorry to bother...

Thanks for your time and have a good one,
V!!

saurnav
I took an infopass appointment...went in saw the officer gave her my interview letter and showed her proof of my last FP and nothing else...if you show them all your otherstuff their brain gets overloaded (lol). I told her hey my fp's are more than 2 yrs old. Do you think I need to re take em. She said yes...and gave me an instant FP notice. Once you get FP retake notice goto the ucis support center in wheaton and retake em. Anyhow thats my opinon.
And yes I think 12 days are enough.

Gc4us
I did carry Certificate of Birth from the Embassy + affidavit + orignal birth certificate (which was in a beat up shape). The feeling I got was they just want to see wether its genuine and compare it to what was in my file. The officer did not even look at spelling etc. The officer said the next step is recieve approval in mail and bring that with you for stamping.

Good Luck,
485someday

Hi 485someday,
Thanks and I appreciate your reply. One small question: cannot I do the FP retake at Baltimore center. It will be convenient for me to do it at Baltimore center since I will be going there for getting the FP notice. Any particular reason that you are suggesting to go to Wheaton for the retake after taking the FP notice from Baltimore center. Sorry to bother you but your reply will help. Thanks.

saurnav
The only reason I suggest that is because the baltimore office normally has a huge FP line and the guy downstairs might or might not accomodate you that day...plus they have more stations in wheaton. He made me wait for 2 hrs in baltimore b4 he did mine.
Regards,
485someday

485someday,
Thanks, it is a great help. The wheaton support center is different from washington center and that wheaton should accept an FP notice issued by Baltimore center, is that correct understanding. Sorry again for too many questions. Thanks.

Correct. wheaton should accept an FP notice issued by Baltimore center. Infact with the notice they give you a sheet where you can take the fp's.
Baltimore
wheaton
or estern shore
Regards,
485someday

485someday said:
Gc4us
I did carry Certificate of Birth from the Embassy + affidavit + orignal birth certificate (which was in a beat up shape). The feeling I got was they just want to see wether its genuine and compare it to what was in my file. The officer did not even look at spelling etc. The officer said the next step is recieve approval in mail and bring that with you for stamping.

Good Luck,
485someday

Thanks a lot for your time and response 485Someday. Appreciate it very much.
I submitted Affidavits for my wife's Birth while filing 485. Interestingly, the affidavit and non-availability were taken by the office[r] in India when they issued the actual birth certificate. In a way, it does not make sense to have a non-availability/affidavit and the actual birth certificate..... :(
:confused: Oxymoron-ic !!
The clerk who typed the Birth Certificate made a typo in the Birth Place [one alphabet mismatch]. That is why I was curious to know if they [Baltimore] would take it easy or..... should I take it easy :(

Hope to get thro this one too...

Cheers!!!
V!

485someday,

Thanks a lot for your help. I have decided to go to Baltimore and request that my fp is updated. Let us see what they do.

Thanks GlenMD and gc4us for your wishes and best of luck for your interviews.

Hi,
I have an infopass appointment for 6th April. I am still trying if I could obtain an appointment earlier as I guess sometimes some slots can be generated as a result of cancellations. Is there anyway I can get appointment on these generated slots without having cancelled my prior appointment on 6th. Also, if my wife takes an appointment on her name, can I use that to discuss my case - that is asking for a new FP showing my interview letter. Will appreciate to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks.

Hi saurnav,
Yes, I think you can use your wife's appointment if you will come with her.
When I had my infopass in Jan 2005 I went to ask about my case (if they received it and if yes, when, what is expected interview date, name check status, etc.). I had one infopass and I went alone, but I had also transfer notices for my spouse and child and when I tried to ask same info for them, officer refused to give me any info and told, I would only give info if they would be here in person (my child is 19 y.o.). So I was under impression that they (my family) actually could come with me and ask questions under same infopass appointment (officer did not mention that they would need separate appointments).
Of course they may stop you on the entrance but I think they will let you in... at least you could try.

Good and fresh news!!!!

Today we went to our infopass app. in the morning, and got our passport stamped!!!! :)

We got home in the afternoon and guess what.....our cards were in the mail!!!!!!! :)

Is the best day of my life!!!

I just wish you all good luck and to get your green cards as soon as posible, do not loose faith!!!!

Congratulations Lulu001.....
Can never ask for a speedier Mail delivery than this....... :) :)
They either make us wait for Tooooooo longgggggg or Make it all at once.....

Enjoy the freedom and Best wishes in all your future endeavours...

Cheers!!!
V!