Baltimore transfer at 8/6 (RD 1/16/2002)

saurnav said:
Hi GlenMD,
Thanks for your note. Hope it goes the way you predicted.
Did you see that 485 are approved within 2-3 weeks for cases where they needed to submit additional documents or update FPs. Thanks.
=== I dont know about additional documents. But only with FP, I think.....

Thanks GlenMd, I think FP cases will be treated differently from insufficient documents cases, and that FP cases should get approved quickly. Let us see what happens!!

Transfered Nov 9 2004 no IL letter yet

I want to update everybody.

I scheduled infopass and walked to Baltimore Office April 28.
Appointement was nicely scheduled and my wait time was only 1 minute.
Officer was very kind and told me that they probably schedule me in a month -two or three or maybe later.
She also told me on my second attempt that she doesn't know when exactly,
and i shouldn't hold her responsible for any date.
Just wait patiently till the ~ mid-summer (maybe)

She also told me (after I asked her few times one way and another) about status of my case (she finaly looked into computer system, punch few buttons and said):

1) My FP are cleared
2) My background check ( with Department of State- black box that almost nobody can control -except Senator Offices) is not completed yet
(my 485 RD is 4/4/2003 )
3) Huh- huh !!! You are at our mercy !!! You die here rightless foreigner before you get your green card !!! Remember what Gone to Taxes did when they were denied citizenship by Mexicans !!!

Sorry guys # 3 never happened- this is my imagination

She kindly said that if my background check is not cleared they still schedule interview (when they come to my case) but I have to wait when my background check will be done before I get approval.

I have applied for my third EAD in end of March (I have already two EAD and one IEAD).

When I scheduled my appointment for EAD photo (through 800 number, this was ~ 10th of April) I asked to inquire about my case. I received letter from USCIS (sent from Baltimore in a few days) that my case will take approximately 8 additional month to process !!!!

Another interesting thing she said: She has my file as well as my wife file and my son's file all located in one place. However her computer system shows that they received my files March 27, 2005 (although my case was transferred Nov 9, 2004. My wife documents received Nov 29 2004 !!!!- as witness by stamped in her Transfer letter- she scheduled her infopass back in Novemeber.
Small conclusion here : schedule your infopass not too late after you are transferred.

Nerve, money, and life suckers (or life sucking system) are on wild play!!!!
Wait is now longer and renewals (EADs and APs and other) are more expensive (probably to provide salaries and bonuses for more workers, reduce possible threat from terrorists and account for inflation).

It was a nicely organized appointment.
Infopass system must receive stamp of excellence and award from immigration portal.

By the way, the basement room in Fallon where FP and photos are done:
Waiting time near lunch there was 2 hours- they told me that they are 2 hour behind by the middle of the day because 20-30 people can be scheduled through 800 number for the same time, while they only can accept 5-10.
It is idyllic atmoshere upstair in room 101. The waiting area is empty with 2-3 people.
What a change w/r/t to what it was a year ago !!!
Hope is that
all officers supposedly working quetly on our transferred cases, grinding carefully to each and every detail - everyday is like a library day for them !!!
I am 99% assured that my transferred case will end with interview letter
in 14 month or shorter (from transfer date) and my 3+ GC ordeal be over.
Patience is everything.

Ead

Madss said:
I search the EAD renew in this thread and found that czlayoun had the same situation. He had a ead expire 10 days before the 90 days requiremnt to get a intrim EAD. I do not know how czlayoun's case is going. are you still be able to work, did it affect your GC approval.

Unfortunately they are very tough when it comes to renewing EAD before 90 days. The officer did not want to budge from her position (90 days). I told her that my employer was about to take me off by payroll the day the EAD expires. The supervisor asked me to bring a letter from my company indicating that. After I got that document with the company letterhead, she asked me to wait to see if the approving officer is willing to take the case. She came back after an hour, and asked me to pay again the fees for I765 ($175). After that the officer called me to a back room and took my picture and gave me a new card.

Summary of the story, you need to bring a document from your employer stating that you will lose you job, pay the fees again, be ready to spend an entire day, and hope that you are lucky.

Good Luck!

Thank you czlayoun:

I looks like it is the best way to do it, I will ask my boss to write such kind of letter anyway, even they mostly do not wont to be distrubted for this kinds of things.

any way, how is your green card going on?

At last, I saw the end of this GC tunnel.

My spouse got her welcome card and also the PR card also.

comming to her case. following are the stats.......
Got interviewed on 04/08/2005
FP done on 04/08/2005
Recd FP from FBI on 04/08/2005
Received approval letter on 04/20/2005
Passport stamped on 04/26/2005
Received cards on 05/05/05

All the best for all for the interviews..... Anyway this site is really addictive, you always like to check on and read valuable stories...

thanks
glenmd

GlenMD, CONGRATS.

One question to you and others: while 485 approval is pending in 485 transferred cases to Baltimore, where one should apply for EAD renewal -Vermont or Baltimore? I remember reading somewhere that even if the 485 is transferred to Baltimore one should still send EAD renewal application to Vermont - is that right? Can you possibly indicate some links where I can find these details. My EAD will expire in Aug. and I thought I should keep things ready so that it can be filed before 90 days. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sauranav -
You have to file your EAD at Vermont. I recently had to file my EAD so had asked my lawyers office (Sheela Murthy) as to where I should file and they said that I have to file my EAD at the Vermont center. After filing the EAD at Vermont, VSC transfers the EAD case also to Baltimore. I already received a notification from Vermont that my EAD also now has been transferred to Baltimore.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Gra, it is a great help to know for sure that EAD application has to be sent to Vermont and they will then transfer the application to Baltimore.

Tax Receipts and Interviews

Guys (Ginnu and other forumians that went through the interview),

Does anyone know what the USCIS Officier is looking for in the tax returns? Are they looking to ensure that you have paid taxes in the previous year (i.e that you are a law abiding immigrant) or would they look in the details (your address, the spelling of your name, how many dependents you have, does this differ from your application, capital gains etc..). Do they spend time going through the tax documents during the interview etc..
Are they looking for your filings or they want the document from IRS?
Generally do they come prepared with full knowledge of the case or do they learn as they read in front of you?

Thanks

glenmd said:
At last, I saw the end of this GC tunnel.

My spouse got her welcome card and also the PR card also.
All the best for all for the interviews..... Anyway this site is really addictive, you always like to check on and read valuable stories...

thanks
glenmd

Congratulations to both of you:).
Wishing you the very best in all your future endeavours.

Wishing a speedy approval for all those waiting for their day...

Regards
V!

I got my interview letter for EAD today. They have asked me to get my passport, old EAD card and the appointment letter. Is there anything else that I should take or be aware of?
Also I and my husband filed the application the same day. But only I got the letter. Is it possible that they schedule interviews for both of us on different days?
Since I will be going to the Baltimore office, I want to ask some general questions about my FP status and the 485 application. Do I need to get an infopass appointment or I can just walk in???

gra said:
I got my interview letter for EAD today. They have asked me to get my passport, old EAD card and the appointment letter. Is there anything else that I should take or be aware of?
== I think, that should be sufficient. Also dont forget driver license.
Also I and my husband filed the application the same day. But only I got the letter. Is it possible that they schedule interviews for both of us on different days?
== It can be. In my case, In my wife case, she got the approval earlier than me. So she only got the interview letter. Later on i waited for a week for my case and I didnt receive any interview letter, so i went to Baltimore office(through infopass) and enquired, somehow baltimore office had forgotten to send the interview letter for me. So it is better to be on top and enquire if you dont receive the interview letter for your case after a week.

Since I will be going to the Baltimore office, I want to ask some general questions about my FP status and the 485 application. Do I need to get an infopass appointment or I can just walk in???
=== Yes, you have to take seperate infopass appointment for checking the status on your application. As EAD interview letter is sufficient only to get the EAD.

I make a inforpass appointment for my EAD (general question type), can I also ask my transfer case satus. mine was transfer to baltimore in December, now news yet.

Thanks GlenMD. That was helpful.
I will go ahead and schedule the infopass appointment. How long does it typically take for the whole process. I mean I have an appointment at 9:00 am. Can I schedule my appointment at 9:30???
I don't believe that they did not even give a week notice before scheduling the interview. I got the letter yesterday and I have interview on Tuesday, May 17th. What if I was on a vacation somewhere???

gra said:
Thanks GlenMD. That was helpful.
I will go ahead and schedule the infopass appointment. How long does it typically take for the whole process. I mean I have an appointment at 9:00 am. Can I schedule my appointment at 9:30???
I don't believe that they did not even give a week notice before scheduling the interview. I got the letter yesterday and I have interview on Tuesday, May 17th.

Hi Gra,
I guess they give sufficient time [4 weeks] for AOS/485 interviews. For EAD, I got a similar one [One Week :( ] too. Luckily, my 485 was approved by then and therefore got the PP stamped and voided the EAD interview.

gra said:
What if I was on a vacation somewhere???
You are right, if someone were to be out-of-town, then the whole thing goes south..... Not sure if they take those into consideration :( :(

Good luck,
V!

czlayoun said:
Guys (Ginnu and other forumians that went through the interview),

Does anyone know what the USCIS Officier is looking for in the tax returns? Are they looking to ensure that you have paid taxes in the previous year (i.e that you are a law abiding immigrant) or would they look in the details (your address, the spelling of your name, how many dependents you have, does this differ from your application, capital gains etc..). Do they spend time going through the tax documents during the interview etc..
Are they looking for your filings or they want the document from IRS?
Generally do they come prepared with full knowledge of the case or do they learn as they read in front of you?

Thanks

HI czlayoun,
During my interview, I don't recollect the officer digging into the W2s or the returns. I had more W2s than what he was willing to take and therefore he looked at the Year printed on the W2 and returned the ones he didn't want to add to the INS file. Maybe his eyes were "trained" to superficially look for the required salary figure while glancing the W2 top page itself :rolleyes:
But definitely no digging into the individual numbers or cross checking et al, not for me atleast.

GlenMD and others can share their experiences too.

As for my wife, it was helpful to submit a copy of the same with her folder because we had filed "jointly" and therefore, had both our names on the documents. Just another piece of document to prove a relationship other than the Marriage certificate, Apartment Lease, Joint Bank A/C et al..

I had the W2s, Returns and IRS Transcripts.... and asked him which he would like to have. He asked for Returns and i brought back the IRS Transcripts with me :)

To a greater extent, from my experience, and also based on experiences shared by users in this forum, I would say the officer has gone through your case and has a fair idea of what to look for. Other than that they have a standard set of questions that they would like to get answered.

If you have your docs in order, labelled, in a binder and ready to provide them when asked for, you should be fine.

Please post any other queries to this forum and I am sure people will respond with their replies.

Good luck and smooth sail,
V!

EAD Vs H1B

Hi Gurus,

My case got transfered to Baltimore last December 21st 2004 , on August 1st week 2005 my H1 is getting expired. What do you advice do I go for 7th year extension or can I go for EAD.

Please gurus give me your inputs

vikramab said:
Hi Gurus,

My case got transfered to Baltimore last December 21st 2004 , on August 1st week 2005 my H1 is getting expired. What do you advice do I go for 7th year extension or can I go for EAD.

Please gurus give me your inputs

Is your H-1B sponsor and GC-Sponsor the same entity?

What kind of an employment mode are you in? Does your employer pay for your H1-B extension (family et al) or do you take care of those?

Based on who pays for your H1-B, you can choose to have that filed. Current estimates cost $3000+ for an H1-B, including attorney fees :( Current processing date is April-09-2005.

If you get EAD (and parole as well, if you want to travel), you will avoid the pain of getting H1-B and then the stamping [another nightmare to get VISA stamping appointment :( ]

Either way, one has to get Transit visa if you were to take Germany/London transit route. Again assumption is that you have some travel plans.

I was in a "somewhat" similar situation and I applied for EAD on my own [I was paying for my GC :(] whereas my H1-B was with a different company and they paid for my 7th year extension. By the time the 7th year came through [took 5 months :(], the H1-B company shut down the division and I got "The Pink Slip" :(
Luckily I had my EAD by that time and started working at a different project immediately :). At this point in time, even if the GC got screwed up, I would not have been able to get back into H1-B anyways, because my 6 years was up.

Ideally speaking, you should get your interview letter in another month or so [assuming that Baltimore maintains the 6 month track record for interview scheduling]. I would hope you should have an idea by august. But it is a bit risky to wait till then.

Did you make any recent visit to the Baltimore office to inquire about your status? If all goes well, you should get a favorable response as it is about 5 months now since your XFer. "Compass", is a couple of weeks ahead of you and is awaiting his interview :).

Good luck,
V!