Baltimore transfer at 8/6 (RD 1/16/2002)

ningxia2000, i believe your case will be cleared within 2 weeks. i think both vsc and local offices are trying to clear backlogs. 2nd fp is a good hint that somebody is touching your case now. good luck and it's time to schedule your vacation now.

My interview experience at Baltimore on 9/10/03

I just wanted to share my experience during my interview yesterday.

First some info about my case:

Derivative applicant to my husband's EB2
RD 11/2001
FP1 6/2002
FP2 7/2002 (my husband's first FP was fine; only I was asked to go back for new prints because the first set was "unclassifiable")
Husband's AP: 3/31/2003
My case transferred to Baltimore 4/1/2003
Received new notice for another FP: 4/16/2003
Went to inquire about my case and found out they had accidentally separated our papers and was waiting for my husband's papers to be transferred when all along he already had his GC: early 6/2003
Received interview notice: late 6/2003
ID: 9/10/2003

So yesterday I went to my interview. I had my lawyer with me. My husband was also there though he did not enter the interivew office with us (I think they would have allowed him but he just waited in the waiting area). Turns out the whole reason for the interview was just because they could not get a clear set of FP for me. The INS official asked me why we did not file together and my lawyer told him everything had been filed together but apparently our papers got separated because of my FP issues.

Here is what the actual interview was about (because that was one of the things we were wondering about---what would they ask me since I was only a derivative applicant): He went over my demographic information, checking them off from his copy of my I-485 application--name, place and date of birth, first name of parents, SSN, any children (especially any born/adopted since the filing), and the questions such as "Have you ever been arrested", etc. He asked to see orginals of my birth certificate and the wedding certificate. Finally, he asked me if I would give a sworn statement that I have not committed any crimes, etc. We all signed it (the INS official, myself, and my lawyer as witness). Then he gave me an address and a letter to bring to another federal office about 15 minutes' drive away to file for a police clearance which they will have to get in lieu of the FBI FP check since apparently my fingerprints do not have ridges deep enough for their checks to work.

Though they did not ask me to bring photos, I had two pictures taken the day before and he took them. Then he asked me to sign a white card front and back and took my index finger fingerprint (later, my husband told me this is what he did when he went for PP stamping). The INS official also took my I-94. So really, my experience was almost like a PP stamping except he couldn't stamp my PP because of the FP issue.

I have to wait 10-15 business days to get the police clearance. Then I mail that with a form back to INS and it's back to waiting!!

thanks for you feedback.. about your interview

our case is also similar case secdule for interview in DEc.
derivate of.. aos

can you pls explain what docs should she take..

employ based docs or family based docs..

appreciate your feedback.

Originally posted by 485bn
thanks for you feedback.. about your interview

our case is also similar case secdule for interview in DEc.
derivate of.. aos

can you pls explain what docs should she take..

employ based docs or family based docs..

appreciate your feedback.

At first I also wondered whether I was technically employment or family based. Our lawyer said that as the derivative of an employment-based application, I am not considered a family-based applicant though I didn't really need to bring everything pertaining to the employment-based application either.

I did bring documents related to my husband's employment (since that was the basis of our application)---employment letter and paystubs. But I did not bring employer's W-2 or the other things listed on the attachment to the interview letter for employment-based. Our lawyer didn't think the employer's tax stuff would be necessary (both because my husband's case was already a done deal, plus he works for a large well-known company whose ability to pay will not be questioned by anyone.)

For myself, I brought the originals of all the documents included in the I-485 (birth certificate, marriage certificate, passports--both current and expired ones because I originally entered on an older passport---the INS official did ask me for these so I'm glad I brought them!) I also brought other supporting documentation of marriage and cohabitation such as both our names on the deed of our house, our names on the car titles, joint bank accounts (the last 6 months and the original one when we opened the account), etc. But really, the INS official only looked at the marriage certificate as proof of marriage.

I also brought stuff regarding my own employment and everything pertaining to my status starting as a student and all my work visas (just to prove I was never out of status). But he didn't ask for these either.

Good luck to you and your wife

Interview notice received

I got interview notice today, as well as my spouse and son. They were issued in Sept 10. ID is Jan 14, 2004, the 2nd year anniversary of our RD (Jan 15, 2002). It seems Baltimore office works pretty stable.

We are from China, what document should represent the required " birth certificate issued by comtetent authority in your country of birth (embassy-issued documents will not be accepted)". Is a birth notarization done in China suitable?

when were your case transfered

Hi, BC

I am on the same boat with you now. My case was transfered to Baltimore on Sept. 17, 2003. I am wondering when your case was transfered. My RD 03/23/02, ND 04/10/02.

Thank you if you can share your information with me.

you are lucky than me.

rage, following is my informaiton:
RD:01/15/2002
ND:01/31/2002
TD:08/06/2003
ID:01/14/2004

It seems Baltimore office works very stable. I guess your ID will be Feb, 2004. Good luck!

Thanks BC. I heard that it's better to hire a lawyer when you go for the interview. I have not decided yet. If you will, please let me know the charge rate. I live in DC metro area. Do you live here also?

It is a long list

They have a standard sheet ask for documents. I believe every body get the same one. There are several catagories such as employment based, family based and derivative based. I can not remenber the exact requirements, but following is for sure: employment letter, 3 recent paystubs, birth certificate, 3-year tax return, I-140 approval, interview notice and passport. For the derivatives they ask for marriage certificate et al. You may reference some previous post.

Affidavit of Support

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the stuff we need to bring for the interview. I am the primary petitioner of our I485. Both my wife and I have a job. In such situation, do we need to bring the "Affidavit of Support" for the interview? Pengh, did you bring it when you took the interview last time? Thanks.

Re: Affidavit of Support

Originally posted by MD485
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the stuff we need to bring for the interview. I am the primary petitioner of our I485. Both my wife and I have a job. In such situation, do we need to bring the "Affidavit of Support" for the interview? Pengh, did you bring it when you took the interview last time? Thanks.

I brought a copy of the Affidavit of Support that had been included in our I-485 application (and of course, the INS official had a copy of it too since he had a copy of our entire I-485 application with him). He did not ask me anything about it. In fact, he did not ask me anything about my husband's employment at all. I brought his paystubs and employment letter (I also brought my own paystubs and an employment letter---just in case---even if my employment is not really relevant to my status as a derivative applicant). But the only thing the INS official asked to see were originals of my birth certificate and marriage certificate.

Good luck!

New development in my case

Just a quick summary: I had an interview last 9/10 basically because my FP kept getting rejected (FP1: 6/2002, FP2: 7/2002 and then after transfer to Baltimore, FP3: 4/2003). I am a derivative applicant to my husband's EB-2. The main thing I had to do after the interview was to go to another federal office in Baltimore to file for a police clearance (in lieu of the FBI FP check). This police clearance was supposed to be for name check only but they insisted on doing both FP and name check. This was supposed to take 10-15 business days. They would send me the clearance and I was supposed to send it back to Baltimore INS.

I was worried that with the storm (so many offices closed last Thursday and Friday here in MD) that I will end up waiting until mid-October. But I was very happily surprised last Tuesday to get the clearance. I sent it via Fedex yesterday.

Anyway, just in case anyone else has the same problem about FP being "unreadable", the police clearance is an added step but at least they seem to do a fairly quick and efficient job. Now I wait again.....but I'm just glad things are moving forward.

pegh, lots thanks for your info.

I have two questions:

should I prepare a new Affidavit of Support for my sponse and kid for the interview or just make a photocopy of old one (the one I used when submitted I-485)?

I am from China and have no orginal birth certificate, what I have is a notarization of birth made by a Chinese agent. Do you think that would work?