Awaiting Asylum Response

Hi.I came to U.S.A. by illegal way which is by border on May 8th 2008.I was in Arizona and I paid bail bond to get out and i came to California San Francisco.And when i was in Arizona i applied for political asylum.and Arizona court sent me to San Francisco.and i had maybe over 10 hiring until June 2nd 2010.Judge stopped to clock on that time.and he gave me next court date which is October 21st 2010.But He did not come to court and my court delayed.but the point is he did not give me a court date or letter.and i have been waiting decision since June 2nd 2010 which is 9 months.On October 21st 2010 he was gonna come but my lawyer said that your judge is in the vacation.and almost 4.5 months past but he never send me letter for next hiring.on next June 2nd 2011 is gonna finish 1 year to get decision.by the way i do not have any social security number.one my friend who is lawyer told me that you can apply for social security number after 3 years and on this may 8th is gonna be 3 years.what i am asking is if the judge does not give me a court date after 3 months,can i apply for social security number ? or how long does it take judge give me a court date ?my next court is gonna be last one.the judge is gonna get decision.what do you think guys ?

hi everyone I have recieved from the uscis a response mail for the inquiry letter that i sent them 2 weeks ago and it says (OUR RECORDS SHOW YOUR CASE IS STILL ACTIVE AND PENDING A DECISION.WE WILL NOTIFY YOU AS SOON AS A DECISION HAS BEEN DETERMINED).does it simply mean they are still reviewing my application and didn't make any decision yet? can you share from your experience guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in the Northeast region by any chance? I am in the same situation as you. I did not receive a response to the Status Inquiry fax I sent in over 2 weeks ago. I was told the Asylum Officer made a decion two weeks ago and it would take a couple of days to receive the decision in the mail. I am still waiting, very frustrating

No my friend am in TX. well in your case they have a made a decision so most probably they are doing a background check. I hope soon they will send you the approval letter. but am perplexed regarding mine already passed 50 days eventhough i was told the decision will be made in ten days!?!?

Thanks for the reply. So I got approval letter yesterday from the office yesterday! I found it strange though because I got a call from the asylum office to go pick it up. It seems I will now have 2 ead cards as well. I hope you get yours soon and it is approved. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. So I got approval letter yesterday from the office yesterday! I found it strange though because I got a call from the asylum office to go pick it up. It seems I will now have 2 ead cards as well. I hope you get yours soon and it is approved. Good luck!

Hi AM HAPPY FOR YOU!, I am in the same situation you were in. I called the IO who interviewed me two months after the interview and she told me that the decision has already been made and that i will receive the notice a few days later. It's now been 7months since the interview and no decision yet. I faxed them and they wrote to me saying YOU DO NOT NEED TO CONTACT THIS OFFICE AGAIN YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR DECISION ONCE WE HAVE COMPLETED REVIEWING YOUR CASE ..lol so i'm hopping for the best!

Thank you! oh wow, I can't believe they told you not to contact them again. From what I have heard, they don't waste time with the ones they do not approve so there is a higher probability you were approved

Thank you! oh wow, I can't believe they told you not to contact them again. From what I have heard, they don't waste time with the ones they do not approve so there is a higher probability you were approved

Thanks for putting hope in me. I will keep you posted. I hope you will not run away from the forum now that you got approved..lol

oh I am not running away at all lol... I have learnt a lot from this forum and I am looking forward to reading your posts and finding out all of you announce you got approved!

Hello all,

I have been waiting for my decision for nearly four months.Our AO officer was very dumb during the interview .She was new to the job and did not know how to interview.Even my lawyer said she is dumb and don't know her job.But she told us the day that she was going on a month leave and she would mail us the decision.Till date we have not heard.We have latest heard that the case is with the supervisor for nearly two weeks now. Getting very anxious as each day is a day a hope.And killing time is the most difficult thing.Any good news from anyone in the forum.Good luck to all who are awaiting there decision.

Let's keep the forum going it will be help to new members.Keep smiling all :)

Today three months after my interview date I recieved a reply for the inquiry letter that I sent them regarding a decision on my asylum case and it states that my case is still under review, what does it mean? is it a good sign? does anyone has similar experience? being out of status I can't work or study It is realy hard time for me.

Hey Lukas,

I am in the same situation as your.My lawyer informed our case is with the supervisor for review.It's been three week the document is with the supervisor.Normally they take maximum 2 to 4 days in my case it has taken nearly 3 weeks ....and i to can not concentrate on anything ,through out the day i am so restless and keep checking my emails every few minutes.It' s a phase hard to describe any people who have gone through this phase can experience.

Worst part none of there actions lead to any signs...we have to keep guessing .

hey awaitasylum
thankyou for replying me I think their purpose is not to encourage more asylum seekers to come here and to make people change their dreams of coming to USA, so they want us to keep telling our families or friends how we are suffering in US a country which we once expected to be a 2nd paradise and land of opportunity but in realty it is nothing like that. you know when I first came to U.S. 7 months ago I had only black hair now I noticed that I am growing more grey hair.

hey awaitasylum
thankyou for replying me I think their purpose is not to encourage more asylum seekers to come here and to make people change their dreams of coming to USA, so they want us to keep telling our families or friends how we are suffering in US a country which we once expected to be a 2nd paradise and land of opportunity but in realty it is nothing like that. you know when I first came to U.S. 7 months ago I had only black hair now I noticed that I am growing more grey hair.

This is not true

I don't think so that might be the reason.But government agencies i guess are slow.And i have noticed if they do not respond within two weeks then it is difficult to know how much time they are going to take.It is a stressful process ,but hope and pray the result is our favor.Amen .Cheer up .
I am in same shape as yours every morning i get up thinking today will hear something ,but as the day pass,all hopes to vanish .All of our things are at stack we can do lot of things ones it gets approved.But we can only wait, no option:(

Hello everyone,
I just registered in for the very first time and would like to know if out there is someone with a situation like me. I am from Venezuela and sent my I-589 on February 24th. I received my confirmation of filling really soon on March the 2nd. indicating my filling date was February 28th. then I went to the biometrics on March the 14th. and my interview was held on March 28th. I have H1-B status until September and they told me that I had to wait for my answer to be mailed. Now a month has already passed and I have not received anything yet. The wait is killing me because my job depends on an answer before May 15th. Is there some way to have any update on the process? I've been researching everywhere how can I know when I am going to received the decision with no luck. Some comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
they told me that I had to wait for my answer to be mailed. Now a month has already passed and I have not received anything yet. The wait is killing me because my job depends on an answer before May 15th. Is there some way to have any update on the process? I've been researching everywhere how can I know when I am going to received the decision with no luck. Some comments?

Yes you can do something about it...WAIT and WAIT until you receive the decision. Nothing else can be done. Sorry but it is the bitter truth. It's been ten months since i was told the same. So, just look for something to do or a collection of movies to watch if you can't work. Sorry!

Ask your lawyer to know the status.With people who have legal status ,most of the time they take it at ease ,try getting your H1 transferred if your current company is not extending,this is the correct time to do that .

I am in your situation ,have legal status but my lawyer updates me about the status ,and we are waiting .And waiting is really killing:mad: ,i check my emails endlessly and check my mail box.So yes Waiting is the option we have .Good luck try to keep your cool .And talk to your lawyer on a regular basis.

Good Luck.