Awaiting Asylum Response

ndakaasylee

Registered Users (C)
I interviewed for asylum on 01/16/2007 and I have not had a response since then. I went to the local immigration office and they told me the last status was in October 2007 when they did a background check. She also said they did a name check. Would they do that if they are planning on denying my petition. Is this a good sign? And..why is this taking so long?

you mean you got asylum interview at asylum office 11months a go and till then no decision? or you mean at court?

if at asylum office, did the officer give you letter saying your decision would be mailed?
why you don't hire a lawyer to get this issue resolved?
it seems like what happened to you will happen to my brother cos he got interviewed in december 4rth 2007 and he was told decision would be mailed and so far it's been 24 days and nothing. we intend to write a letter in few days to make an inquiry about the decision. if they don't want to give, they should just give a decision saying it's denied or rejected, this stupid long wait is painful and makes no sense.

No decision would be made unless Asylum Office / or and USCIS received the result or clearance for the name check. Could take weeks, months even years. Pray that your name check clears soon.

Awaiting Decision

If the name check and the background check standard for everybody or for those who are going to be approved?

this asylum process really is painful, specially to those who are told that their decision would be mailed. it seems that those who are told their decision would be mailed have to wait months and years not two weeks like how it works for most people and most of the time.

I did a research online and found out that those who are told their decision would be mailed are those applicants who are in legal status.
but their legal status is non- immigrant temporary visa status and I don't see any reasons why the asylum office should make these applicants wait for months and years just to receive a YES/NO decision on thier asylum interview.

My bro applied for asylum in DEC 04,07, and he has his visa until 03/08, seems like since he has some temporary few months status, he was made to wait and told his decision would be mailed. But till today after more then 3 weeks, there is not any decision letter from the asylum office. we just want to know yes or no, so my bro would know what to do next. if he was made to wait till FEB 08 and then receives NO decision letter from the asylum office, then we would really get mad and very disappointed.
anyway, I don't think this is cos of NAME CHECK/SECURITY CHECK reasons, cos almost all or most people go pick up decision on their asylum after two weeks of the interview and why do these applicants don't face long wait?

anyway, we are going to send an inquiry or status request letter today or tomorrow to Chicago asylum office and I hope they have a time table answer about the expected longer wait.
share your expereince and knowlegde.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the same boat

Hi Johnny

It seems like your brother and mine are in the same boat.
My brother had interview with an asylum officer in august 2007, till today no decision has been sent to him yet.
But I remember he was given a piece of paper stating that his decision will be mailed by the post office.
He even applied for employement authorization after 150 days, till today no decision is still made, he must wait .
Does anyone know what this mean: 8CFR208.7(a)(1) ?????
Does anybody know how I can check my brother's case satus?Either online or by phone??
No information about his case is desplayed in: www.uscis.gov

Thanks for any reply......

bouki, ur brother or you should send an asylum status check inquiry leter to the asylum office . 4 months is too damn long to wait. i would rather my bro go somewhereelse to apply for asylum then.

we are sending an asylum status inquiry letter tomorrow cos it would be exactly one month then.

Thanks Jonny

I think your idea is good, maybe we better try to do the same.
But Jonny instead of sending a letter, isn't there another way we can find out about my brother's status either online or by phone???
I know another guy who sent them a letter, unfortunately he did'nt receive any reply from them.

no phone check status or online, nope, you got to check with them.
4 months with asylum office is too damn long, if with judge that's another thing.

do something man, that wait is so ********ing long.

My checks all are cleared but still waiting for the officer to probably take my folder and do his job to give me the final approval. I have been calling the refugee center in DC but still same case, Now im waiting for a response from BOTH anaheim office and DC office

but there is no reason to make someone wait for more then 2 weeks, 98% asylum seeker get thier decision in 2 weeks and very few made to wait long is an reasonable

I sent a letter to our local asylum office requesting STATUS/UPDATE on the decision of asylum for my brother. But not getting any response.
I don't know what else to do to make the asylum office asylum officer give a decision on his asylum. we are not demanding approval, he just wants YES/NO answer so he will know what to do next.

If it is really cos of NAME CHECK OR SECURITY CHECK, the USCIS, FBI must be sued for this!

So, guys, how did the things turn out for you all who had been waiting for such a long asylum decision? I got the same situation here and want to know what to expect cause my case has been pending for more than a year already at the asylum.

Hi folks,
I am on the same boat too, I had my interview for asylum in the mid of January and it's wasn't tough and then at the end of the interview The AO let me sign a paper that says to appear in person to pick up the dicision after 2 weeks, however after 9 days she left me a voice message on my cell phone that says not to come and the decision will be sent by mail. Now already passed 1 month and ten days and I never recieved any mail and last week i send them an INQUIRY LETTER cos when i call them they told me to do so. now my question is some people told me if they want to deny my case they might did it in two weeks and they would refer me to the court without wasting time( by the way i am out of status ). Is it true?what do you think guys?

Hi folks,
I am on the same boat too, I had my interview for asylum in the mid of January and it's wasn't tough and then at the end of the interview The AO let me sign a paper that says to appear in person to pick up the dicision after 2 weeks, however after 9 days she left me a voice message on my cell phone that says not to come and the decision will be sent by mail. Now already passed 1 month and ten days and I never recieved any mail and last week i send them an INQUIRY LETTER cos when i call them they told me to do so. now my question is some people told me if they want to deny my case they might did it in two weeks and they would refer me to the court without wasting time( by the way i am out of status ). Is it true?what do you think guys?

No body can tell you the exact cause of the delay. The following is a list of the most common causes of the delay:
1. AO is busy with other high priority cases.
2. AO needs more time to do a research on your case
3. AO is not available (time off, vacation, training, etc)
4. Supervisor is not available (time off, vacation, training, etc)
5. Supervisor doesn't agree with AO decision
6. Supervisor is busy with other high priority cases
7. Alien file can't be located.
8. Background check.
9. Decison is made but the clerks are busy with preparing other high priority cases.
10. Investigation due to a possible fraud.
11. Inadmissibility bar based on 212(a)(3)(b)

Hi Asylum

I have question for you . My date of birth on my i-94 and my EAD cart is not correct ! each of both has different date ! what should i do to fix this problem and how ?

thanks