August Filers Post Here

Just received interview letter

Interview is scheduled for 01/27/09 in Chicago. Best of luck to everyone who is waiting

Finally, card production ordered on 11/19/08.
I called and a service request was submitted. Today, an LUD showed for the card after that right away.

I don't know if it was just time or that my call did something to move the issue but I am not complaining ...

EAD Recieved

Hi Guys,

Got my EAD today. Finally its been a long wait. Will apply for my SSN number on monday.

Thanks 4 all the help n Good luck to all those who r still waiting

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Got my EAD today. Finally its been a long wait. Will apply for my SSN number on monday.

Thanks 4 all the help n Good luck to all those who r still waiting

I do not think you can apply for an SSN based on EAD...
You get an ITIN number but SSN is when you receive your GC from what I know...

I do not think you can apply for an SSN based on EAD...
You get an ITIN number but SSN is when you receive your GC from what I know...

Really? I thought you get your SSN with EAD:confused:. Not sure though cos I got my SSN in 2001. Way then there were no requirements (as F1).

Really? I thought you get your SSN with EAD:confused:. Not sure though cos I got my SSN in 2001. Way then there were no requirements (as F1).

Yes you can get your SSN with EAD. I got my SSN in 2000 when I was on H1, but went to the SSA last week to have a name change (taking my husband's last name now, after almost 5 years of marriage!) and the proof they asked for as evidence of my status in the US is the EAD. Apparently, even with a name change, they ask for proof of your work status.

Yes you can get your SSN with EAD. I got my SSN in 2000 when I was on H1, but went to the SSA last week to have a name change (taking my husband's last name now, after almost 5 years of marriage!) and the proof they asked for as evidence of my status in the US is the EAD. Apparently, even with a name change, they ask for proof of your work status.

I went to have mine changed too, this week and they asked for the same. They however just put my info in the system and told me to wait 4-6wks for verification of information from USCIS. What about you?

I went to have mine changed too, this week and they asked for the same. They however just put my info in the system and told me to wait 4-6wks for verification of information from USCIS. What about you?

Yes, same thing, I didn't get the new card. Will take a couple of weeks. I went to the DMV next and wanted to have my name changed, but they told me that they cannot verify my EAD yet (it's not in the system, since it was just recently issued). So they asked me to go to another DMV office that does the verification (and that will take weeks too) of my EAD. I am supposed to get something in the mail after verification and I will take that to any DMV so I can update my name.

In short, it's a pain in the a**. So I haven't done the DMV part, probably will after Thanksgiving :)

What's your DMV story?

Also, do you have an existing Driver's License already? Mine was issued in 2001 (prior to 9/11) and will expire in 2011. I am curious, since my EAD is only good for a year, will they issue me a new license (with new name) that's only good for ONE YEAR? or will it be another 10-year license? I asked because after 9/11, I've heard from some friends who are H1Bs that they were only issued drivers licenses that are valid for as long as their H1s are valid (so essentially, 3 years). If that's the case, I will probably not change my name yet on my license until after the interview.

What's your DMV story?
Also, do you have an existing Driver's License already? Mine was issued in 2001 (prior to 9/11) and will expire in 2011. I am curious, since my EAD is only good for a year, will they issue me a new license (with new name) that's only good for ONE YEAR? or will it be another 10-year license? I asked because after 9/11, I've heard from some friends who are H1Bs that they were only issued drivers licenses that are valid for as long as their H1s are valid (so essentially, 3 years). If that's the case, I will probably not change my name yet on my license until after the interview.

I didn't bother with DMV cos one of the reqs here is a SS card in your new name. So until I receive my new SSC, I will not be going there. My 1st sch was Ohio U. where I was issued a 4yr DL. Can't remember if this matched my I20's expiration. However, I finished sch in 2yrs and enrolled in another sch in my current state. I didn't change my DL for 2yrs! I didn't change my car plates for 2yrs either! Then the DL expired and I applied for one here; they gave me a 4yr one which definately did not match my I20's expiration. Perhaps just a standard timeframe for F1s. My current DL expires in March 09, so either way, I need a new one. But one thing I don't know for sure is if they will give me a one year one that matches my EAD. Which again is sort of ok for me because I plan to move within 2009 so I will need another DL from my next state. I highly doubt anyone is going to issue you a 10yr one. Probably one that expires with your H1

What's your DMV story?

I received my driver's license while on a J-1. They issued it for 4 year (until 2012, so beyond my J-1 program) but it does say in the corner: "status check 11-30-2009", when my J-1 expires. I don't know what will happen when I just keep this one when I have my green card - I suppose it's still valid. When I had my name changed on it after my marriage, I asked the guy at the DMV what they would do with that status check. He told me to come back after I receive my GC to have it removed from my card - but I don't know if I am actually obligated to do that.
I have no idea what the expiration date will be when you get it with an EAD. Maybe it will have the same "status check" note, with the date your EAD expires.
~
I just received my AP in the mail, and the EAD will hopefully soon arrive as well. Congrats to everyone on their IL's.

I received my driver's license while on a J-1. They issued it for 4 year (until 2012, so beyond my J-1 program) but it does say in the corner: "status check 11-30-2009", when my J-1 expires. I don't know what will happen when I just keep this one when I have my green card - I suppose it's still valid. When I had my name changed on it after my marriage, I asked the guy at the DMV what they would do with that status check. He told me to come back after I receive my GC to have it removed from my card - but I don't know if I am actually obligated to do that.
I have no idea what the expiration date will be when you get it with an EAD. Maybe it will have the same "status check" note, with the date your EAD expires.
~
I just received my AP in the mail, and the EAD will hopefully soon arrive as well. Congrats to everyone on their IL's.

when you get a driver's license with the EAD it is only valid for the time the EAD is .usually 1 year

Yes, same thing, I didn't get the new card. Will take a couple of weeks. I went to the DMV next and wanted to have my name changed, but they told me that they cannot verify my EAD yet (it's not in the system, since it was just recently issued). So they asked me to go to another DMV office that does the verification (and that will take weeks too) of my EAD. I am supposed to get something in the mail after verification and I will take that to any DMV so I can update my name.

In short, it's a pain in the a**. So I haven't done the DMV part, probably will after Thanksgiving :)

What's your DMV story?

I talked to my friend on H1B, she moved in from FL and didn't change her DL, so by the time she went to get a new DL for this state, she was almost 2yrs into her H1B. She was given a new DL valid for 1yr and a few months, i.e. until her H1B expired.