Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

How can I obtain court records of traffic violation? I have 2 traffic violations in last 9 yrs (reported on N-400). One is speeding in Duluth (2006) and another accident in downtown Atlanta (2002). Paid fines in both cases but did not keep any record. How can I obtain them?

you can to go the traffic court for each local government and request disposition documents. I did like that. But some governments keep the disp. documents for the minor traffic cases only for last 5 years. I am not sure if Atlanta is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mimi looks like you are online and probably everything is fresh in your mind. Did the office ask for your birth certificate? I don't have mine and i only have the affidavit from relatives which i had given at the time of GC. Just little worried?

No, he did not ask for it even tho I had it with me just in case, so I don't know if this is something that some IOs do some others don't? but I think you should be fine unless your name is not the same on every ID you have and they need to know what your real birth name is.

How can I obtain court records of traffic violation? I have 2 traffic violations in last 9 yrs (reported on N-400). One is speeding in Duluth (2006) and another accident in downtown Atlanta (2002). Paid fines in both cases but did not keep any record. How can I obtain them?

I also had a speeding ticket for $70, 2 years ago for jumping a red light taken by a camera which caught me within .08 of a second. I just called the court in riverdale, ga and they said i could come and pick up the receipt as they have it in the records? just wanted to make sure that do i really need a receipt from the court or a copy of cashier check i had sent would work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah! I wanted to let you know that something I noticed is that the IO gets the file from the same window we turn in the interview letter, so they DON'T review anything before the interview, they come to the window and the guy there gives them the file, they open it take a quick look and call your name...I thought they review your file before hand, maybe this is something that ATL does?

I also had a speeding ticket for $70, 2 years ago for jumping a red light taken by a camera which caught me within .08 of a second. I paid the fine, but how do i get the record that i paid off the fine?

Try online first, go to the clerk of courts website and search for records, that's how I did one of my tickets and it did have all they need to see it was paid etc, if not go to the actual court house and ask for a copy of the receipt or something showing u paid. ONLY if you mentioned it on your application, if you didn't I dont think you should worry about it.

I also had a speeding ticket for $70, 2 years ago for jumping a red light taken by a camera which caught me within .08 of a second. I paid the fine, but how do i get the record that i paid off the fine?

I have the similar red light camera ticket. I went to traffic court and they gave me a certified document showing no payment is pending and everything is paid off.

Can anyone confirm whether you can simply just walkin to get your fingerprints taken, if you have received an appointment letter. I am due to be out of town on my appointment date. The notice states I can have them done "on any following Wednesday". I was wondering whether I can go earlier on any given day, before my appointment?

A lot of people have posted that they did walk in appointments.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

If they are not busy, they may (or may not) let you do. There is no guarantee for that.

Ah! I wanted to let you know that something I noticed is that the IO gets the file from the same window we turn in the interview letter, so they DON'T review anything before the interview, they come to the window and the guy there gives them the file, they open it take a quick look and call your name...I thought they review your file before hand, maybe this is something that ATL does?
You are correct as why would they send "Yellow letters" upfront? IO won't have the time in 10 mins to review everything!!! I did not mention traffic violations in the N-400, but after reading your case it makes me wonders should i take an extra step, although i just confirmed that the fine was paid off and the court website does not keep records, thus i have to get them in person

You are correct as why would they send "Yellow letters" upfront? IO won't have the time in 10 mins to review everything!!! I did not mention traffic violations in the N-400, but after reading your case it makes me wonders should i take an extra step, although i just confirmed that the fine was paid off and the court website does not keep records, thus i have to get them in person

Well everything I was questioned for I HAD mention on my application, so IF you want to take the receipt fine but I don't think they will ask you if you didn't mention it =)

My experience:

Came back asked for a dismissed case I have, I had already sent more than enough documents/disposition with my application and he had them because he kept looking at them, then said to wait that he would be back in a minute –again-. He came back and did something on his PC then handed me a form saying I had passed the test but a decision can’t be made ALSO another form saying I had 30 days to send additional evidence because what he had didn’t clearly say my case was dismissed, at this point I was telling myself wow I didn’t see that coming but then again it is his discretion to ask for those papers, so I asked him that if I was ok after sending that based on his experience and he said YES just send this on the mail and it should be ok. I’m thinking that because it was a Florida disposition and it was different than GA what he is used to he probably didn’t know enough and wants to make sure I don’t owe anything and that my case is long closed haha. I didn’t see this at a big deal, but I don’t have a choice right? =)

So, I"m confused. This evidence that he was wanting - did this have to do with just a regular traffic ticket? Or was this arrest something more serious? I"m just wondering why he was being so insistent that what you had was not enough...

Got my interview/ Oath done yesterday (11/16).

Appointment was at 08:15am. Reached there at 07:35am. went thru the security, got directed to 2nd floor. Checked in at 7:43am. Got called in at 08:20am, I was then asked for my GC and Drivers license.

Initially, I was asked to raise my hand and swear that I would only speak the truth.
She suddenly started asking me the following civic questions:

1. Who wrote declaration of independence
2. Who is commander of armed forces.
3. Name one state that borders Mexico.
4. What is the policitical party of the current President
5. Name two main political parties
6. Name 3 states of the 13 original colonies.

That's all, she stopped as I answered all questions correctly.

She then asked me to read a sentence "Where does the congress meet"
and made me write "The congress meet in Washington".

She spent most of the time going thru the papers. Asked me to confirm my travel and other entries on the form. Asked my passport, she verified the latest exit/entry stamps on my passport. Last time I travelled out of US was in year 2008.

I had three traffic violations but I haven't mentioned about Traffic violations on the N-400 application form.
I had proof of payment for all these three violations, but didn't have disposition letters. I tried to obtain from the court but I couldn't get the disposition letters.
My latest speeding ticked was in year 2004 in CO, after going thro this forum to be on the safer side I called the court and request for a disposition letter. He haven't understood what I was asking, he mentioned that he can send me a receipt for the amount I have paid. He sent that letter in mail on my request.
For the other two tickets in CA, the court mentioned that they do have my info in their system. I didn't try for the disposition letters after that.

At point # 21. She asked me, Have you been in Jail or prison? I answered No.
I mentioned about my traffic violations to her. She asked how much fine did you pay to the court?
All three were $200 or less, I had my file with copies of tickets/receipts in my bag, when I was about to pull my file from the bag to keep it ready, she noticed and told, "don't worry about it." Believe me I got totally relaxed.

She had gone thro the remaining portion of my application. Asked me to sign on my photos and couple of signatures on the forms.

Asked if I wanted to oath same day?... YES!!!
Gave me a letter that my case is approved and will be reviewed by another officer. She kept the green card. Was out at 8:30am. Overall process took 10mins.

Asked me to wait at 2nd floor. After 30 mins, I was given the letter for 2pm oath.
We had to initially check in, to verify our certificate to ensure that name, DOB were correct.

Then the oath. pictures..

At 3:15pm, walked out as new citizen!!!

Thanks a lot for all the help from this forum. All the Best for everyone of you.

Any early October filers?

Green Card Date - 01/07/2005

D/O Atlanta

10/09 - N-400 Delivered
10/14 - Check Cashed (10/13 Priority Date)
10/17 - Received I-797C NOA
11/10 - RFE/ FP Sent
11/11 - RFE Text/Email rcvd
11/17 - Received Fingerprint Appt.
11/17 - Finger Prints Done - Walk In
12/01 - Fingerprint appt
**/** - Interview Letter Rcvd
**/** - Interview Date

So, I"m confused. This evidence that he was wanting - did this have to do with just a regular traffic ticket? Or was this arrest something more serious? I"m just wondering why he was being so insistent that what you had was not enough...

No, I said that for the 2 tickets I had receipts of payment, he was fine with that. This was something else, I think he wasn't familiar with the documents since they are from another state and county, they don't say that the case was dismissed CLEARLY so he wanted more documents that say so.