Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

It is my understanding one shouldn't take color copy of naturalization certificate. It is illegal and can cause trouble if seen by someone. It was told to me by a Notary public. In fact Naturalization certificate clearly state in front that any type of photocopy is not law ful.

-Swadesh

Swadesh: It is INTENT that matters. If you make copies with intent to defraud, then even b/w copying is illegal. If you are making copies just for backup and for your own record-keeping, then it is not illegal. In fact, USCIS asks for a copy in case your original is lost or damaged!

I myself have scanned/stored electronically & made one good color and one good b/w copy for safekeeping. Ditto for my driver's license, passport, green card, etc.

But if you feel uncomfortable making a color copy for your record backup purposes, then don't do it. But definitely make a b/w copy before you send it off for your passport application.

It is my understanding one shouldn't take color copy of naturalization certificate. It is illegal and can cause trouble if seen by someone. It was told to me by a Notary public. In fact Naturalization certificate clearly state in front that any type of photocopy is not law ful.

-Swadesh

Seems that the notary public who told you this is assuming you will use the copy illegally.
Is it legal to make copies for yourself for backup

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Atlanta Brother!

It seems the Indian Constitution does not permit dual citizenship. But the closest we can get to dual citizenship is with this OCI registration.

The 'Overseas Citizen of India' terminology is a misnomer, because the citizenship emphasis is on the 'Overseas' portion rather than on the 'India' portion of this term. But as an OCI, we get lifetime visa privileges and multiple-type visa privileges (we can work, tour, visit, literally do anything). The only things we cannot do that an Indian citizen can do are - to vote, be an MP/MLA, hold government jobs, and buy agricultural/plantation properties.

We used to have a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) Card that is similar to your NICOP. The PIO card's validity is 15 years. We still have that facility, but I do not know who will prefer the PIO to the new OCI card.

Regards,

Ravi,

can you apply for OCI/PIO after you become USC?

thanks.

Yes. You can apply for OCI or PIO registration only after getting US citizenship and US passport. It is like applying for a visa - only that the OCI is a lifetime visa and PIO is a 15-year visa.

Had my interview today. 1:05pm, but didn't get called in until about 1:55pm. Only took about 15 minutes. Answered 7 civics questions, answered some other questions that were originally asked in the application, read a sentence, wrote a sentence, signed the photos, and then was asked if Friday the 25th was okay for oath.

Talked to a guy who had a 12:45pm interview, he went in about 1:15pm and was out around 1:30pm. His oath is on Friday as well.

Had my interview today. 1:05pm, but didn't get called in until about 1:55pm. Only took about 15 minutes. Answered 7 civics questions, answered some other questions that were originally asked in the application, read a sentence, wrote a sentence, signed the photos, and then was asked if Friday the 25th was okay for oath.

Talked to a guy who had a 12:45pm interview, he went in about 1:15pm and was out around 1:30pm. His oath is on Friday as well.

congrats YYZ

i have interview at 12:45pm and not sure will i be able to make it for oath.

what time you were there?

dsmportal,

They say not to arrive before 30 minutes prior to your appt so that's what I did. I would not count on getting your oath the same day. My wife also had a 12:45pm interview and did not get called until about 1:20pm. Got out of her interview about 1:35pm, had oath a week later.

I applied for my passport last Friday 04/18/2008 at the local post office, and got it back priority mail today, Friday, 04/25/2008 - in 7 days flat, that too for normal processing by normal mail (not expedited processing & express mail).

I hope Government of India-Ministry of Home Affairs-OCI folks take the cue from the US State Department-Passport folks. Very simple and straightforward process, clear instructions, excellent web & email updates, excellent customer service over phone - all for about $100 !! You actually need a Ph.D to decipher the document checklist to apply for OCI card - and that differs from consulate to consulate, and even within a consulate. One part of the Houston website says 4 passport size photos, and another one says 5!! Very confusing instructions, pathetic web/email updates, and horrible phone service - they simply do not answer or return phone calls and emails!!

I applied for my passport last Friday 04/18/2008 at the local post office, and got it back priority mail today, Friday, 04/25/2008 - in 7 days flat, that too for normal processing by normal mail (not expedited processing & express mail).

I hope Government of India-Ministry of Home Affairs-OCI folks take the cue from the US State Department-Passport folks. Very simple and straightforward process, clear instructions, excellent web & email updates, excellent customer service over phone - all for about $100 !! You actually need a Ph.D to decipher the document checklist to apply for OCI card - and that differs from consulate to consulate, and even within a consulate. One part of the Houston website says 4 passport size photos, and another one says 5!! Very confusing instructions, pathetic web/email updates, and horrible phone service - they simply do not answer or return phone calls and emails!!

WOW ravi that is excellent!! Have you ever been able to track your passport process online? I tried the website but the tracker can't find me

WOW ravi that is excellent!! Have you ever been able to track your passport process online? I tried the website but the tracker can't find me

Don't worry, Jojo72! Give it a day and you will see it online. If you applied on 04/21, you should get the passport in your hands by 04/30 or even a day or two earlier. I got mine back in 7 days flat - and that too for normal processing!!

My wife had the same experience. Mailed passport application last Friday (18th) and got hers today(25th). In other words, don't pay the extra for expedited processing.

Had my oath ceremony today, then immediately went to post office and sent passport application.

An interesting note - while waiting for the ceremony, the lady beside me said she had lost her green card between the interview and the ceremony. Didn't seem to be a big problem. They had her complete a form stating that she had lost it, and was still able to get her oath certificate today. I would have thought that would have caused a bigger problem, but no.

Clarity, unambiguity and good presentation have never been strengths of the Indian Government or even the Indian private sector for that matter. But thanks to the people on this forum, you can draw from the experience of others and prepare your OCI application. Good luck.
Nice to see though that US passports are being issued in a pretty speedy fashion.

You got that one right. Check on Passport Id card as well. This way you will get your pocket size passport id card in the same application.

thanks bro.

should check both: US Passport Book & US Passport Card ? or only one ?

bro, i have question

in my interview letter it mentioned that:

if applying for naturalization as a the spouse of a US citizen
1) your marriage certificate
2) your spouse's birth or naturalization cerfiticate or certificate of citizenship

so my question, i dont find my spouse natz certificate, is that enough to take Passport with me and show the passport ?

thanks again.

thanks bro.

bro, i have question

2) your spouse's birth or naturalization cerfiticate or certificate of citizenship

so my question, i dont find my spouse natz certificate, is that enough to take Passport with me and show the passport ?

thanks again.

Either one NATZ or US Passport should be sufficient proof that your spouse is a US Citizen. Take both if you can I guess, but in my humble opinion just passport should be fine.

Passport

thanks bro.

bro, i have question

thanks again.

Yes, your spouse's original US passport would work coz that is as good as natz certificate. Check both boxes in that DS-11 (passport applocation). This way you will get your blue passport and your mini passport id card as well.

my wife had her interview and oath today. it was an exciting day for her. interview was simple. we took almost all possible docs like w2s, tax returns, utility bills, marriage certificate, birth certificate, spouse documents. more than required. officer just asked for docs mentioned in interview letter. had her interview at 11. civic questions from those 99 questions. officer told she will recommend for approval. did not got the approval letter till 1.30 PM . later we found that computers were not working . meanwhile my wife was tensed a bit. she had one speeding ticket back in 2003. $110 fine. she told the same to officer. she traveled to india for one month after applying . updated travel info. also corrected a typo in my DOB.
looks like tickets are ok if the fine is below $500. had her oath at 2 PM. I was there standing in friends and relatives area.
for all those who had interviews after 11 AM did not got their certificates at ceremony. we had to wait. again to test our patience, computers were down. there were only 2 type writers. by the time we left the building it was 4.30 PM. we just had breakfast. did not got time for lunch. we had our lunch cum dinner at 5 PM.
I found out that my application is still with name check. just now I did google search on my first name. found 2,210,000 results. first time i hated my name ( just kidding ).
I consider myself a better driver than my wife. never had any speeding ticket. just had one warning ticket with no fine for expired car inspection and 2 parking tickets($20,$25) because i couldn't see the timings to park thats it/ paid the fine immediately. worked for the same sponsored employer for 8 months even after getting my green card. I wonder why my name is stuck in name check. i had 5 addresses(5 cities, 3 states) in last five years. changed 4 jobs.
my first name can spell in 2 ways with an extra letter 'H'. i mentioned both when i went for finger print. i have few documents without extra 'H'. also i think employee at FP office had trouble taking my finger prints. he wasn't getting proper prints on his computer screen. looks like an inexperienced trainee or i have bad fingers. what ever. can't speculate more. i think i just have to wait with patience. now time to leave atlanta thread and move to "stuck in name check" thread. I got very good info here in atlanta thread. thank you all. also i am planning to move out of state in 2,3 months. I hope i will have my interview done before i move.
interview process is cool out there in atlanta office. for most people it is quick. it took 4 hours to get my drivers's license in New Jersey when i was on H1B visa. i have seen people who came at 10 and left by 12 PM for lunch. plus one hour oath ceremony at 2 PM.
here is my wife timeline
N400 first time sent to USCIS in august first week. we should have mailed it by july 31st. application rejected and got letter in December last week because of insufficient fee. we sent old fee $485 or something money order.
applied again with bank cheque(new fee). priority date 01/15/08
FP date : 02/26/2008
interview and oath : 04/30/2008
total 105 days.

Last edited by a moderator: