Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Guys, I passed my interview on Sept 3. It was at 8:15am, I got there around 7:30am and was called at 7:45ish by really nice young hispanic officer. He was well aware of my asylum status, I went to COP recently in the beginning of the year but no questions asked, jst asked me the length of the trip and asked for my national passport, which I had, answered six civics questions correctly, wrote and read a simple sentence. Then he congratulated me and handed me the recommended for approval letter and told me to wait for oath letter and I was out of his office in 10 minutes. Does anyone know when can I expect the OL in the mail? I checked on internet the next oath ceremony in Los Angeles is on Sept 24 for 10,000 people, who knows may be I get in there?

I heard several people like you recently. My lawyer told me it is your background checking has not finished yet. God Bless you.

Guys,

I have a question regarding the yellow letter and will appreciate response and apinions form anyone.

I noticed most people in the forum put next to their yellow letter (Bring State ID or DL)......

In my case it is asking for both DL and Passport. Did anyone get a similar request or is this because I hold a valid COP passport?

Guys,

I have a question regarding the yellow letter and will appreciate response and apinions form anyone.

I noticed most people in the forum put next to their yellow letter (Bring State ID or DL)......

In my case it is asking for both DL and Passport. Did anyone get a similar request or is this because I hold a valid COP passport?

I am sure holding a passport from COP is not the reason why they asked you to bring a passport, there might be other reasons or it may just be standard. I was asked for a state ID or DL only, i have a COP passport but i will also take my COP passport with me since i have renewed and traveled with it a few years after my GC. If the IO asks for it i will provide it, if not i will not volunteer it. From this forum, people are asked to bring different things. I also read IO usually asks for GC and all travel documents, sometimes they look inside, sometimes they don't. What is your DO and timeline? Did you travel back to COP?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure holding a passport from COP is not the reason why they asked you to bring a passport, there might be other reasons or it may just be standard. I was asked for a state ID or DL only, i have a COP passport but i will also take my COP passport with me since i have renewed and traveled with it a few years after my GC. If the IO asks for it i will provide it, if not i will not volunteer it. From this forum, people are asked to bring different things. I also read IO usually asks for GC and all travel documents, sometimes they look inside, sometimes they don't. What is your DO and timeline? Did you travel back to COP?

Fairlakes,
Thanks for the feedback and yes I did travel to COP. As of the timeline, I see on the USCIS website, it's 5 months for Dallas

Fairlakes,
I also noticed you recieved your YL in September - Is there a reason you haven't received your IL six weeks later? Have you contact USCIS?

Guys, I passed my interview on Sept 3. It was at 8:15am, I got there around 7:30am and was called at 7:45ish by really nice young hispanic officer. He was well aware of my asylum status, I went to COP recently in the beginning of the year but no questions asked, jst asked me the length of the trip and asked for my national passport, which I had, answered six civics questions correctly, wrote and read a simple sentence. Then he congratulated me and handed me the recommended for approval letter and told me to wait for oath letter and I was out of his office in 10 minutes. Does anyone know when can I expect the OL in the mail? I checked on internet the next oath ceremony in Los Angeles is on Sept 24 for 10,000 people, who knows may be I get in there?

Dear Friend:

Have you got oath letter? I heard LA area will have Oath ceremoney on Dec. 16, morning 6000 people, afternoon another 6000 people. Hope you are.

Fairlakes,
I also noticed you recieved your YL in September - Is there a reason you haven't received your IL six weeks later? Have you contact USCIS?

My DO is one of the slowest in the nation. I haven't contacted USCIS because there is a thread for my D.O and there are a lot of people on the same boat. The processing time for my DO is not in months which means it takes longer. People who have applied before me are just now receiving their IL, their cases are transferred more than 2 months after the YL, so i will just wait and see, read other people updates and hope for the best.

Fairlakes,
Hang in there buddy... I'm sure it's probably just as backed up in Texas as I have already reviewed the timeline with other applicants and the timing is off.

Fingers crossed and hope for the best. I wouldn't wait beyond the 120 days though.

I do really want to change my name for personal reasons but I don't want to delay my process. I'm in Miami. Are we talking about a year to have my US passport? More? I don't know how long this process takes and if there is chance to have a same day ceremony when requesting name change.

Hi All,
My question is regarding the interview letter.
I noticed from several threads that the average time between the "Sent to Local Office" email notification and receiving actually interview letter is normally four days.

I got the notification on 26th November (8 days) and still haven't received the interview letter.

I would like to know if this is normal and when I should consider contacting USCIS.

Thanks in advance for your response(s).

Hey y'all. any new citizenship interviews? especially wanna know how much they care about asylum related issues in the San Francisco DO. Thanks

Hey guys i received my YL two months ago but i am still waiting
For my IL and i havent gotten it. I called them 7 weeks ago they told me
To wait. I do not know what i should do. Please share your experinces. Thanks

Obviously many Asylees, like myself, have EWI (entered without inspection), no documentation; but we received our asylum afterward and GC. My question is how did you guys answer questions 23 and 24 on the N-400 Naturalization application? I am about to send my application and I am stuck. I know that the EWI is forgiven and the Naturalization will be approved, however I want to have a smooth interview.

Question 23: “Have you ever given false or misleading information to any U.S. government official while applying for any immigration benefit or to prevent deportation, exclusion or removal?”
Question 24: “Have you ever lied to any U.S. government official to gain entry or admission into the United States?”

My gut instinct is to answer yes and yes; then write a paragraph explaining it. It feels like I am about to be interviewed again for asylum.

I had my citizenship interview in San Francisco DO yesterday. Just wanted to let everyone know that it wasn't any different from any other citizenship interview. The officer did not bring up the issue of asylum whatsoever. I gave her my expired NP that she didn't look at. She didn't ask about going to the CP- I haven't been anyways. I even threw something like "when I filed for asylum" but she couldn't care less!

Thanks for updating us, most of us know it is really a case by case basis with interviewing officer. i noticed in your signature, you did a walk in fingerprinting done before your actual appointment, can you really do that ?

You are def right in that it depends on the officer. As far as the walk in goes, i think it depends on the office and the situation. I was going on a biz trip on my fingerprint appointment day but when i did a walk in they didn't even ask why i was there before the appointment!