Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Yupi28,
I was asked if I went back to COP and I said yes, (I only went once for two weks to visit ill family member) IO said nothing negative, just moved on with the interview process.
I know some people who were granted Asylum and went back to COP and now they're US citizens. Don't worry be very positive IO are humans too and understand that some times you have to take a risk to see a family member who is ill. Wish you best of good look, take care.
CONGRATULATION
that's great/..i'm so happy for you..Boston is faster..that's why is better to get naturalization in cities with not too much inmigration like new york where i live...enjoy your freedom ..no more visas ..lol
i just want to end this year and aply for mine..blessings and be happy
:eek:

Yellow Letter

Hello Everyone,

I just received a Yellow letter requesting to present a state issue ID at the interview but I have no received the IL nor my case has been updated online. Am wondering what this YL means? and what are the next steps?

thanks everyone in advance,

DO. DC
LR Since March 2005
N-400: Abril 21 2010
NOA: May 5th
FP appointment: June 10
FP done: May 26
YL: July 9

Planeta59,
The fact that you received a Yellow letter is good news! because means that USCIS is working on your case. Don't worry I received the same letter and IO not even asked for it. IO only asked me my GC, Travel Docs or NP.
Just be very positive soon you're going to receive the appt letter for for interview. Keep us posted take care, :)

Yellow Letter

thanks a lot KIKI2010,

Do you happen to remember how many days after you received the YL you received the actual interview?

thanks,

Planeta59,
In my case I received the IL letter 1st after two weeks I received the YL. But other friends received the YL 1st and after a week or two received the IL. It works different in each case. But as mentioned before the fact that you have received the YL is in fact good news! :)

Hello everybody!!!

Finally i am home, i am a US citizen now and still sounds surreal, my story start a 6am, getting ready to be there, got there at 7am, i live really close, my appointment was a 740am, at 745am i was outside of the building waiting to be open, I was like number 10 on the line, the security guy was very slow, i made it to the 15th floor by 750am, gave my appointment to the lady in window 1, i thought we were going to be call by the time of our appointments, to my surprise the start to call people randomly, i guess, because I was called at 940am. at this point my heart went to my stomach!

The officer was a black african american woman, she was very nice and kind of funny, she told me to tell the truth and I swore, and seat, the asked question of the end of the n400, like arrested, prostitution, drugs, all of those, after that she asked for my passport and my green card, she gave some papers, told me to check if everything was spell right, everything was ok, and she starts telling me to write: "lincoln was the president during the civil war" and i told her why lincoln, i am going to misspell it, and i was right, she told me to put the L in the right place, and told me to sing underneath.

after that the question:
1. longest river in the usa.
2. we elect the president for how many years?
3. who live in america before the european arrived?
4. when was the declaration on independence adopted?

I have been trying to remember and i am almost 95% sure that she didn't asked me for questions, but not sure the other 5% after that I signed more papers, and tole me told me to wait in the waiting area to be call for the oath.

The whole interview process took less than 5 minutes. I still can't believe that! was so fast!

I was call around 11am, check my names, everything was right, and they sent me to the room with the other new american citizens, around 1130am, i had everything in my hand!!! and i was taking pics with mr and mrs obama!

Now I am a US citizen...on my way tomorrow morning to philadelphia to get my passport. NYC passport office didn't have any appointments until next monday!

Once again!!!!

thank yo so much to everybody in this forum for all your help all these years, I really appreciated!

CONGRATULATION DVFM
WHAT a great news now enjoy the freedom my friend..just one question..did you go to your cop the time that you were permanent resident?
wow everybody is getting their citizenship...man..i want 2011...is gonna be my year for aply...keep the good news coming
blessings to you DVFM..did you get your passport?

Guys, I passed my interview on Sept 3. It was at 8:15am, I got there around 7:30am and was called at 7:45ish by really nice young hispanic officer. He was well aware of my asylum status, I went to COP recently in the beginning of the year but no questions asked, jst asked me the length of the trip and asked for my national passport, which I had, answered six civics questions correctly, wrote and read a simple sentence. Then he congratulated me and handed me the recommended for approval letter and told me to wait for oath letter and I was out of his office in 10 minutes. Does anyone know when can I expect the OL in the mail? I checked on internet the next oath ceremony in Los Angeles is on Sept 24 for 10,000 people, who knows may be I get in there?

I just completed my citizenship interview today. I got my GC based on asylum. It was a very fast interview completed in less than 10 min or so. Although the IO was skimming through my file while she was asking me questions from the application form, nothing is been asked about my asylum case except why I renewed passport. I have renewed my passport but didn't go to my COP but traveled to Mexico, Canada and south east Asia for business ( IT consulting ). I explained to IO when asked why I renewed passport. I have the paper work to prove that I have to renew passport for my modes of transportation.

Friendly advice (from what I have been observing in this and other forms in regards to asylum-citizenship and my experience):

Have a legitimate reason for you to go back to COP. Document properly now for your future use. If I have gone, I know the IO will ask and could make it worse or not. Why bother.

Passport renewal - I thought about this interpreted as protection from the COP gov. She said exactly that. Make sure here to have a valid reason to do it. Just don't do or not do because others say so. Have your own valid reason like I did. It saves you heartache and lot of worries.

Information disclosures - don’t hide but don't volunteer until asked and then reply truthfully. Don't steer the IO from their path of questions. Make it short and precise (preferably yes or no). It helped me a lot today.

I just completed my citizenship interview today. I got my GC based on asylum. It was a very fast interview completed in less than 10 min or so. Although the IO was skimming through my file while she was asking me questions from the application form, nothing is been asked about my asylum case except why I renewed passport. I have renewed my passport but didn't go to my COP but traveled to Mexico, Canada and south east Asia for business ( IT consulting ). I explained to IO when asked why I renewed passport. I have the paper work to prove that I have to renew passport for my modes of transportation.

Friendly advice (from what I have been observing in this and other forms in regards to asylum-citizenship and my experience):

Have a legitimate reason for you to go back to COP. Document properly now for your future use. If I have gone, I know the IO will ask and could make it worse or not. Why bother.

Passport renewal - I thought about this interpreted as protection from the COP gov. She said exactly that. Make sure here to have a valid reason to do it. Just don't do or not do because others say so. Have your own valid reason like I did. It saves you heartache and lot of worries.

Information disclosures - don’t hide but don't volunteer until asked and then reply truthfully. Don't steer the IO from their path of questions. Make it short and precise (preferably yes or no). It helped me a lot today.
CONGRATULATION..a lot of good wishes to you....can i ask you..you don;t need to tell me your city..but what state was your interview? i just curious about the differents states...thanks for your answer

I have been reading this forum and i finally decided to post my timeline and my journey. I am applying for citizenship.

01/08/1997 Asylum granted (AS06)

1998 Application to adjust status. Sent my application to local office... Fingerprint and medical exam done

1999 Went for an interview, I94 stamped and i did not hear from Immigration

Around 2002 i obtained and appointment to speak to an officer who told me my application was transferred to Nebraska, he said after 2001 applications were sent to the center.

2003 i called the 1800 number and i spoke to a very nice lady who told me my application was received in 2003 at the center and she believed that's the date they will go by. I pleaded with her and told her that i had sent my application in 1998 to the local office, and if i wait again until they reach my priority date i might be waiting for 10 more years as there's a 10000 cap per year for asylees who adjust their status. She puts me on hold for a while, came back and told me that i am correct about sending my application in 1998 but she spoke to an IO who is asking me to wait for a response from the immigration.

2004 i go to the mailbox and i got my green card in the mail backdated 2003.

Here's my timeline for my citizenship.

Resident: 06/23/2003
DO: Fairfax, VA

07/20/2010 - N400 Mailed-Lewisville, TX
07/27/2010 - Received Date
07/27/2010 - Priority Date
07/29/2010 - NOA
08/04/2010 - RFE Notice Date
08/10/2010 - FP Notice received: Appointment on 08/25/2010 at 3PM in Alexandria
08/25/2010 - FP Done
09/28/2010 - Yellow Letter Date (Bring State issued ID or D.L)
??/??/20?? - Local Office transfer
??/??/20?? - IL received
??/??/20?? - ID
??/??/20?? - OD

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been so quiet here. Could someone please post their experiences (Questions asked during interview....). Also please indicate your DO and your timeline. My DO is Fairfax and they are taking a long time to process. Also post if you traveled back to COP and renewed your NP (National Passport) and the reason why. This will help other people tremendously.

I was granted asylum in 1997, i went to COP to visit my ill mom in 2006 almost 3 years after obtaining my GC and i renewed my NP before my trip. It's the only time i have ever been to COP and I am a worried

Last edited by a moderator:
During my citizenship interview, IO clearly asked why I renewed my Passport. I have collected detail documents of my business trips and the need for the renewal. I haven’t gone to COP or any neighboring country. She clearly stated that renewing passport is considered as asking protection from your COP government.

My advice is prepare a compelling evidence of the time when your mom was sick (hospital reports etc) just in case IO asks. But I have seen in this forum where people went back to COP with passport or not and got approved and I have seen also cases where people got ‘decision cannot be made ‘at the interview. For my case, I know the IO will definitely denied my case if I haven’t provided the detail docs just ONLY because I renewed my passport.