Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Be4 -

Correct me if I am wrong. As per what you stated here , You applied in mid 90's for your asylum case and you got you GC around 2006 but since you were married to USC , you become eligible to apply for citizenship in three years. Do you mind telling us why it took so long for you to get approved on your asylum case ? If it's too personal , you don't need to disclose at all.

I wish I knew the answer - it took over two years for my asylum case to be approved. Mine was affirmative asylum approved by the asylum office. 90s were extremely hard times to be an asylee or an asylum applicant. After my asylum was approved, I had a chance to apply for permanent residency only in 2001 for financial reasons: the process of waiting for the decision on the asylum case was totally devastating financially and otherwise. (When I applied I was not allowed to work for 150 days and then, if the decision on the case was still not made, had to apply for EAD and pay full application fee - over and over and over. No fee waver requests were accepted - I tried to apply and was rejected - that's how I know. Also, I had to wait for months just to receive the actual card) It was a dark, sad, hopeless time. As you, probably, know there was a cap on the asylee adjustment at the time and, according to the INS schedule I could anticipate to be adjusted somewhere around 2010, if I was really lucky (which does not appear to be my case - even my naturalization application is taking way longer than average on this board). That was totally devastating, simply crushing news! I lived in a limbo with no prospects of getting permanent status any time soon and technically was residing in the country temporarily. It affected all aspects of my life: I could not choose the careers I wanted to pursue due to restrictions posed on me by my status and it was not good for my marriage, either: it eventually crumbled. Then I met my current spouse. We got married in 2006 and at about the same time my AOS application was approved due to the changes which happened after Ngwania vs Gonzalez settlement (I was a member of the class covered in it) and REAL ID Act, which lifted the cap on the asylee adjustment. So, my GC is asylum-based. My journey which stretched far into the second decade is still not over...
That's a brief summary of a third of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be4 -

Thanks for your heart felt explanation. Your patience and perseverance is very commendable. I salute you !!!

I was complaining like crazy why my asylum case took 10 month to approve. I have learned so much from people's experiences since I start visiting this forum and help me see my immigration journey through different perspective.

Best of luck !!

Be4 -

Thanks for your heart felt explanation. Your patience and perseverance is very commendable. I salute you !!!

I was complaining like crazy why my asylum case took 10 month to approve. I have learned so much from people's experiences since I start visiting this forum and help me see my immigration journey through different perspective.

Best of luck !!

Me too Be4, thanks for shareing.
:D

Greentocitizen
Colombian PR
Thank you very much for your kind words!
Sadly, my story is not unique at all. There are quite a few folks on this board alone who have something very similar in their backgrounds.

Dear Fellows,

I have a question for all of you who can kindly could give me an opinion about my current situation.

I just find out that my Grandma is about to pass away, I am thinking seriusly to go to my COP and say good by to her (I haven't seen her in 10 years), but at the same time, I am worried about coming back at the port of entrance and being rejected or nothing like this happen at that moment, once I applied for my N400 in 03/2010 it gets rejected.

I will love to hear any suggestions, any comments, any advises, should I travel with my COP pasport and residence, should get a travel permit, should I just say good by from here without seing her?

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

This forum has been really helpfull everytime I have had a doubt about something

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Jcasylee

Dear Fellows,

I have a question for all of you who can kindly could give me an opinion about my current situation.

I just find out that my Grandma is about to pass away,

I would suggest for you to documents all your correspondences ( email, fax , mail etc) with your immediate family members in regards to your grandmother medical records ( how long she was cared for in the hospital , private care or else ), what kind of treatment given for how long, sorry to say this but death certificate ,burial ceremony records etc etc. The longer span in dates ( meaning 1 or 2 years from to_date ) of the documents the better.

[/QUOTE]
I am thinking seriusly to go to my COP and say good by to her (I haven't seen her in 10 years), [/QUOTE]

Make your trip as short as you can. I would suggest using travel document and not you’re NP.

[/QUOTE]
but at the same time, I am worried about coming back at the port of entrance and being rejected or nothing like this happen at that moment, once I applied for my N400 in 03/2010 it gets rejected.[/QUOTE]

I cannot say for sure what will happen here. You can inquire more from Columbian PR or cleo4 on this specific forums about their experiences when entering united states. They can shed more light on this.But to this day I never heard a story where an asylee is sent back home from the POE because he/she traveled COP to say good back to dying grandmother……

Please understand this is my opinion and not meant to be taken for exact. Hope this helps !!

I would suggest for you to documents all your correspondences ( email, fax , mail etc) with your immediate family members in regards to your grandmother medical records ( how long she was cared for in the hospital , private care or else ), what kind of treatment given for how long, sorry to say this but death certificate ,burial ceremony records etc etc. The longer span in dates ( meaning 1 or 2 years from to_date ) of the documents the better.
I am thinking seriusly to go to my COP and say good by to her (I haven't seen her in 10 years), [/QUOTE]

Make your trip as short as you can. I would suggest using travel document and not you’re NP.

[/QUOTE]
but at the same time, I am worried about coming back at the port of entrance and being rejected or nothing like this happen at that moment, once I applied for my N400 in 03/2010 it gets rejected.[/QUOTE]

I cannot say for sure what will happen here. You can inquire more from Columbian PR or cleo4 on this specific forums about their experiences when entering united states. They can shed more light on this.But to this day I never heard a story where an asylee is sent back home from the POE because he/she traveled COP to say good back to dying grandmother……

Please understand this is my opinion and not meant to be taken for exact. Hope this helps !![/QUOTE]

Absolutely!!!

Thank you for all your answers, since this health issue is something new, I won't have that old support that you mentioned, but at least I will get all suport relative to what is happening today.

Greentocitizen
Colombian PR
Thank you very much for your kind words!
Sadly, my story is not unique at all. There are quite a few folks on this board alone who have something very similar in their backgrounds.

Which district office did you apply your N400 at?

It is finally over!

Was sworn as a USC this morning and tremendously relieved! Not feeling anything in particular.

A cup of coffee - $3.00
Parking fee - $4.50
Starting INS-free life - priceless...
(HUGE sigh of relief)

I just though of something and did some calculations. It took for my naturalization application (and it was not the shortest wait on this board) - from mailing the paperwork along with a fee till receiving Naturalization Certificate - 5.3 times shorter than wait for my I-589 approval and 12.3 times shorter than my I-485 adjudication.

Was sworn as a USC this morning and tremendously relieved! Not feeling anything in particular.

A cup of cofee - $3.00
Parking fee - $4.50
(HUGE sigh of relief)

congrats . Why r u not feeling happy ?

Fantastic News !!!!!

A cup of cofee - $3.00
Parking fee - $4.50
(HUGE sigh of relief)

Good news be4!! I think the elated emotions that were defeated will resurface eventually. You have been and seen a lot and you deserve this!!!

No, I think you should be extremely sad and crying upon becoming a US Citizen.... ;):D

No reason to resort to extremes, really! ;)
The whole process of going through the asylum procedure then waiting (and fighting) for permanent residency fully depleted my emotional resources. I feel numb and for the sake of keeping the remnants of my mental health cannot react emotionally to every event in my life more than I absolutely have to.