Are there any benefits specific to when you become a citizen-now or a year later-does it matter?

Throughout the 1990s, my father used to drive a yellow cab in NYC. He shared the cab with another driver, working on an "every other day" basis. On the weekends, he frequently asked me to start the cab's engine and fill out his trip card, while he was having breakfast. One morning, while I was filling out the trip card, I found a small bag of marijuana on the floor, probably dropped by the other driver. At the time, I was in 7th grade and completely brainwashed by the "Just Say No" campaign. I immediately ran upstairs and showed the bag to my parents, who immediately flushed it down the toilet.

Let's suppose that neither my father nor I noticed the bag and my father ended up getting pulled over for a traffic violation (frequently happens to cab drivers). If the cops happened to find the bag, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they'd believe my father. As Jackolantern stated, it's not uncommon for bad things to happen to good people.

Let's suppose that neither my father nor I noticed the bag and my father ended up getting pulled over for a traffic violation (frequently happens to cab drivers). If the cops happened to find the bag, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they'd believe my father. As Jackolantern stated, it's not uncommon for bad things to happen to good people.

Believe it or not, judges and juries aren't completely stupid. A cab that is shared with multiple drivers and has dozens if not hundreds of people in it a day? No sane jury would ever convict on such a silly charge - because there's obvious reasonable doubt as to who it belonged to.

Believe it or not, judges and juries aren't completely stupid. A cab that is shared with multiple drivers and has dozens if not hundreds of people in it a day? No sane jury would ever convict on such a silly charge - because there's obvious reasonable doubt as to who it belonged to.

However immigration law could deny/delay your petition based on GMC grounds even if judges and juries would give you a chance. Also if you delayed your naturalization, now you don't have any other options but to go through trial and come out clean which requires lot of patience, time and money.

In short, unless you have valid reasons to delay naturalization, don't delay it.

In short, unless you have valid reasons to delay naturalization, don't delay it.

Why would anyone want to delay to be naturalized? I didnt feel completely belong here before my naturalization. I think , do it as soon as you can. you never know along the road what would happen. Laws can change etc etc. if you pick a country to live, you may want to have a closure to your immigration status...

Why would anyone want to delay to be naturalized? I didnt feel completely belong here before my naturalization. I think , do it as soon as you can. you never know along the road what would happen. Laws can change etc etc. if you pick a country to live, you may want to have a closure to your immigration status...

See post # 5 on this thread. I think Jackolantern has laid out good reasons which sometimes we don't consider (particularly those who falls under high net worth category)

For some people, it isn't necessary to be a US citizen to belong. It's understandable. Being a citizen doesn't always mean you belong, either.

I must say one thing about juries and the law: they are fallible. The law is not always just, and a racist or bigoted jury is far from it.

A conviction probably wouldn't happen in this situation. An arrest, on the other hand, would be almost guaranteed.

Waited 5 years after being eligible...

And only because it was a pain to get visas to travel.

For some people, it isn't necessary to be a US citizen to belong. It's understandable. Being a citizen doesn't always mean you belong, either.

Correct, for some people is just not important or they don't want to. Considering that you can keep renewing your PR until you die.