April 2013 Asylum Applicants

My case has been pending for 116 days.
San Francisco AO

I sent a request to the EAD.
Waiting for an answer from them.

My legal status expired on September 6.

Hi,
I entered USA as a tourist about 11 months and 15 days ago. My visa expired in 6 months.
My story changed, I had to apply for I-589 ( Affirmative Asylum), now I am waiting for the receipt of my filing and also my withholding of removal.
In the meanwhile the homeland security tried to contact me in my former address ( in San Jose), they asked the neighbor, that I give them a call. ( they gave their phone number).now I live in LA.
What should I do?
calling them and explaining to them?
or just wait for my withholding of removal letter and then call them?
or never call them?

Thank you for your kind attention

Best

Nima

Hi,
I entered USA as a tourist about 11 months and 15 days ago. My visa expired in 6 months.
My story changed, I had to apply for I-589 ( Affirmative Asylum), now I am waiting for the receipt of my filing and also my withholding of removal.
In the meanwhile the homeland security tried to contact me in my former address ( in San Jose), they asked the neighbor, that I give them a call. ( they gave their phone number).now I live in LA.
What should I do?
calling them and explaining to them?
or just wait for my withholding of removal letter and then call them?
or never call them?

Thank you for your kind attention

Best

Nima

First, why Homeland Security is looking for you?
Second, why do you have to apply for withholding of removal? (why you are in removal proceeding ?)
Third, what did you mean by your story changed? (do you apply for asylum before and got rejected?)
Forth, if you never applied for asylum before, why did you have to wait until near 12 months after you arrive before you apply for asylum?

Last edited by a moderator:
April 2013 Applicant

After 190 days , finally yesterday I did my interview in Anaheim!
It took 2 hours! Not bad!
There is no way to predict answer based on officer's eyes!!! Again I have to wait!
BUT Good news for Anaheim applicants, they've employed near 50 officers! They used to work with just 10 officers during the past 10 months!
With these new officers our process will be faster and backlogs will be soon processed!
I've applied for EAD after 150 days, and still nothing!
I'll update my status if I get any news!
Wish you all luck! Need your positive energy here! :)

There is no way to predict answer based on officer's eyes!!! Again I have to wait!
BUT Good news for Anaheim applicants, they've employed near 50 officers! They used to work with just 10 officers during the past 10 months!
With these new officers our process will be faster and backlogs will be soon processed!

Congratulations for you :)
I hope the will decide the case soon and give you Good News...
oh, I forgot to ask on my other reply,
Did all those 50 officer all for interviewing people?
Thanks

I heard newark office is training new employees so I hope I will receive interview notification soon, I have been waiting for 120 days.

Nice to know that you pass already the most important part of your case! I am sure everything will be good! Wish you to recieve your approval very soon!

im so happy for you april and thats good news for us a bout anaheim office
i hope you to receive approval as soon as possible :)

Congrats to you! I hope you get your approval soon! ;)

do you suggest to apply and have interview in New York or New Jersey? Plshelp, I have not ddecided where to apply from...

Thnx but how? If I live NJ or NY how can I apply or from where in order to be interviewed Arlington? Where is this?

Thank you...

You can submit PO box address as mailing address so, also UPS offers you physical street address. You can go to UPS office near arlington open there physical street address, or you can go to USPS office and open PO box address, it may cost you from 6$ to 20$ per month. Then you file application in Arlington and wait for the receipt in your PO box, also you can then make mail redirection,USP must have service to redirect your mail from Arlington UPS office to anywhere you like. SO USCIS has your Arlington address and sends everything there and UPS redirects it where you want. I didn't do it myself, just figured out after I made research. Currently I have Manhattan PO box address as mailing address and I live in New Jersey.

You can submit PO box address as mailing address so, also UPS offers you physical street address. You can go to UPS office near arlington open there physical street address, or you can go to USPS office and open PO box address, it may cost you from 6$ to 20$ per month. Then you file application in Arlington and wait for the receipt in your PO box, also you can then make mail redirection,USP must have service to redirect your mail from Arlington UPS office to anywhere you like. SO USCIS has your Arlington address and sends everything there and UPS redirects it where you want. I didn't do it myself, just figured out after I made research. Currently I have Manhattan PO box address as mailing address and I live in New Jersey.

Becareful,
there are times when the interview officer ask you to prove that you actually live in that address,
they might ask for your bank statement or bill (electricity/water/gas) to establish prove of your residency.
so it is best to just apply at the office where you really live.
or to physically move to the new area where that office service.

No this is not true,

what if you are homeless beggar? You don't have right to apply asylum?? you will tell officer that you are dirty nasty homeless and you don't have permanent address and you live on street, you have PO box as your address.

No this is not true,

what if you are homeless beggar? You don't have right to apply asylum?? you will tell officer that you are dirty nasty homeless and you don't have permanent address and you live on street, you have PO box as your address.

Do you think Americans Care? Why did they give you a J or B visa if you will be a public charge They DONT CARE !!!

They approved your visa because you entered an Address you gave them in US-VISIT system

No this is not true,

The dirty nasty homeless have the right to apply for asylum, don't get me wrong,
but
Even a dirty nasty homeless should decide (and tell the truth) where they live most of the time (majority of their time).
(although I am sure you are NOT a dirty nasty homeless at this moment, right?)

This is a matter of jurisdiction, the asylum office interviewing you got to be sure that they
had the jurisdiction to review your asylum case.
you can have PO address, but you can NOT CHEAT on where you actually live just because you have
preference on one office over the other.

If they do not double checked, then you will be fine...
but the last thing you want is to be found CHEATING by opening a PO Box in other jurisdiction,
while you actually live in different area.

If the officer found out that you cheat on the address, how will they believe your story that cause your asylum?
your credibility is on the line here,
if you don't get caught, good for you,... but what will happened if you got caught?
the easiest one is, they will tell you to reapply to the correct asylum office and this will delay your asylum process (stop clock and delay your job permit), the hardest one is, they will accuse you of FRAUD and this is much worse...

so if you really like one asylum office, it is best if you move to the area/address under that jurisdiction office.

There is a case here about this.