April 2013 Asylum Applicants

I am very happy for you man! I just feel you made my day! I was very worried and I couldn't dare to come here to see the result, now I feel happy and wish you the best days ahead.

Would you please share with us your experience? as you know I don't have lawyer, did you? and what evidence and documents did you have? can you please tell me your story? and how you answered the tricky questions. you know any thing you share with us can change a person's life forever!

Congrats for your new life! I wish you peace and happiness!

Thank you so much. Thats so nice of you, Hope you guys also get it soon.
Dear Nima; you asked similar questions in another topic, and Persian37 and I answered you dude :) please re-read them. But no problem at all, I try to give you some more advices!

I done it by myself, and I love to see others also doing it by themselves and fighting for their life, but its not easy. if you want to do it by yourself please start with writing whole details from your childhood till now. then you will find that some people in your journey are more highlighted and know about you, so choose 2-3 people who can write one page about you and your problem. then you need to collect all recent reports and facts about human right related to your case situation in your country, released by american and other agencies. all of this are enough as docs. then the most important part is: you. you need to have consistency. consistency is really easy when you doing every thing by yourself and living every moment with your fear and thoughts about what will happen if you go back to your country. Interviewer want to believe you through what you wrote and what you say,to approve your case. if you feel they want trick you, definitely they do.
I had a long journey in my life, so it took really hard time(emotionally) to write and remember every detail and then talk about it in interview date. It was 2 hour of lots of questions, based on what I wrote in my testimony. I replied all every time she asked in different styles and I never fell its tricky, but its a way for her to know me better. Its kind of like visiting your doctor, are you going for a serious illness or just for "call in sick" paper!

wish you the success
Blessings,

Last edited by a moderator:
delay for interview date notification

If they are recruiting new guy, that means the office is till shorthanded, which does affect the interview schedule.

Hi Guys, I also filed my application two months before and finished with finger print and biometrics. But I have not yet received the notification date for interview. My asylum office would be Arlington. From reliable source I heard that all Asylum officers from all states have been on the field to see the case of those detained in Texas and refugees in foreign countries. And the USCIS is facing budget difficulties to hire additional employees. So, the office has temporary suspended its work and that is why most of us have not received our interview date notification.

The most disappointing thing I heard is that, when they start scheduling interview date using automated program, they would start scheduling starting from the recently filed case to the oldest. And the scheduling is done at the beginning of each month and the machine always starts from recently filed case including the case filed in that particular month. If that is the case our case will stay in the back log for several months....even years. For more information goggle "Affirmative asylum procedure" .

Any way lets prey for the good outcome and your comments are appriciated.

Inquiry

Hi Guys, I also filed my application two months before and finished with finger print and biometrics. But I have not yet received the notification date for interview. My asylum office would be Arlington. From reliable source I heard that all Asylum officers from all states have been on the field to see the case of those detained in Texas and refugees in foreign countries. And the USCIS is facing budget difficulties to hire additional employees. So, the office has temporary suspended its work and that is why most of us have not received our interview date notification.

The most disappointing thing I heard is that, when they start scheduling interview date using automated program, they would start scheduling starting from the recently filed case to the oldest. And the scheduling is done at the beginning of each month and the machine always starts from recently filed case including the case filed in that particular month. If that is the case our case will stay in the back log for several months....even years. For more information goggle "Affirmative asylum procedure" .

You are right!
I'm waiting for 3 months now!
I sent an inquiry 2 weeks ago and the answer is:
No interview has been scheduled as of the date of this review. You will be notified by mail 2 weeks prior to the interview. Thank you for your patience.

pending interview notice

i dont think so , i think they are busy specially in anaheim maybe arlington
we have a friend in our forum he's name is persian 1 , he waited for everything about 3 month, after 3 month he granted

then we are star crossed unfortunately ,and i have a friend in the other state he approved after 3 months too

i pending for my interview notice 135 days ( about five months ) and also i'm out of status

Congratulations!

Hey guys...guess what?! ...... "GRANTED Indefinitely" :D
Grant date is the same as interview date: June 3
Today I Born again and wish it for all of you. thank you for your posts and crossed fingers.

They gave me I-94, and some other papers which talks about benefits. officer said: don't apply for EAD, we will send it for you in 2 weeks.

Congratulations!
I'm very happy for you!

I have no news about my case.
I'm still waiting for the date of the interview.

April 26 I made the fingerprints and the silence ...

pendiing interview notice

Hi my freinds

I want take my case from anaheim office and i move to the other state
i think they never interview with me
perhaps my case is going to take years to be processed, maybe after interview with me , i'll wait so many years again for decision

Thats bad situation i'm out of status actually and i pending about 5 months just for interview notice , but that's not important for anaheim asylum office

god bless you

Moving case

Hi my freinds

I want take my case from anaheim office and i move to the other state
i think they never interview with me
perhaps my case is going to take years to be processed, maybe after interview with me , i'll wait so many years again for decision

Thats bad situation i'm out of status actually and i pending about 5 months just for interview notice , but that's not important for anaheim asylum office

god bless you

Hi Rimaya,
You are entitled to change your CIS processing office at anytime you want. However you need to understand the risk you face by doing that;-
1. Your clock will be stopped and restarted over again. This means you will not be eligible to apply for EAD until another 150 days from the day you changed the office. Currently you have only 1 month to apply and get your EAD. So you need to think about what you would prefer and the benefits.

2. Changing the CIS office may not really help. Coz all offices tend to have some sort of delay. You may just end up waiting even longer at your new CIS office. The CIS normally line up cases as they come in, so yours may end up being so far down the road.

3. Have you checked out the CIS acceptance rate at your new or old CIS office. Each CIS office have their denial and acceptance rate. Some are 80% denial and others are 80% acceptance rate. I would try to get this info before changing the CIS office.

I hope and pray for the best in your situation.

Wazimu.

Any body applied in Chicago office?

Hi everyone,

24 may 2013 :Asylum application sent
28 may 2013 : received acknowledgement of receipt for asylum
07 june 2013: fingerprint notice received
11 june 2013: I went to do my fingerprint

Still awaiting interview notice from Chicago CIS office. Is there anybody who applied at Chicago office and is still waiting? I understand that I haven't waiting for long, but I would like to share some ideas with somebody who is also waiting for Chicago office to send them their interview notice. Or someone who received it already. Thanks.

Waz!

i dont think so , i think they are busy specially in anaheim maybe arlington
we have a friend in our forum he's name is persian 1 , he waited for everything about 3 month, after 3 month he granted

then we are star crossed unfortunately ,and i have a friend in the other state he approved after 3 months too

i pending for my interview notice 135 days ( about five months ) and also i'm out of status

Hi Rimaya,

I doubt if you are out of status as you said in this post. Whenever one files for asylum and submits form I-589 to CIS, they normally send a receipt. When you receive that receipt, you are no longer out of status, coz your case is in process. So one can and should always carry that receipt everywhere, to show that you are not out of status but awaiting processing by CIS.

I have my asylum approved in sep 2012, I wanted to travel to India as i want to sell all my property before i live here forever, I was told i could travel from nepal with no problem. As i could just drive from Nepal to India and come back the same way , i was planning to go there for 30 days . I have a Refugee Travel Document and will be applying for my green card in september 2013, Can some one please give me the best advice, i would really appreciate it.

Hi lloyddacosta,

I want to give you the best advice. Do not travel to India if that's the country you ran away from. Stop making it hard for yourself and easy for the system to catch up with you. I would like to warn you that it's against asylum rules for one to travel back to where they claim they would face harm, or fear persecution. You will be caught, lies cant be buried that deep.

Waz.

what kind of job permission an applicant for asylum gets if his case is not approved? a permission to work just like an american? full time and in any major he or she wishes?

Hi Nima,

Let me clarify to you how the process works.

When you 1st apply for asylum, you apply at Citizenship and Immigration Services. They have the responsibility of processing you and hearing your case at an interview in one of their offices closes to you. Now, they will call you for an interview and either grant you the asylum or deny you asylum. If they grant you asylum, you don't need to apply for a EAD, "job permission". The EAD will be sent to your mail in 2 to 3 weeks. This is automatic.
However, if they deny you asylum, they will tell you and refer your case to a Judge, an Immigration Judge. They do this for cases where the applicant is already out of status. I.e your I-94 has expired. The case is there fore moved from CIS (Immigration) to the judiciary system for their approval or denial. Here, is where I would advice all those who seek asylum to get a good attorney (lawyer) to help them with their case. At the court, it will be like a real trial against you and the government side will have an attorney to say they want you out of the country and stuff... So one needs a good attorney.
By this time your days are still accumulating and if it gets to 150 days since you filled for asylum and still have no decision, then you should go ahead and apply for a work permit. But if the Judge grants you asylum, then you will get it immediately. If the judge denies you asylum and you still have not accumulated 180 days since you applied for asylum, then you can't get an EAD and you can't officially work in the States. If you disagree with the judges decision, you can appeal at the board of immigration judges for a review of your case.

In short, an EAD can work full time in America. However it has some limitations that you may need to know. The EAD can not make you get a job at USA government offices, the army, navy or marines and in some special cases some organizations that need top official clearance. These kinds of jobs require at least a Green card Holder.

Waz!

hi friends

I find this forum very good and it helps a lot. I would like to know some thing about interview decision. I filled my application in January 10,and the called me for interview which I went 18th June. But the interview turn out to be different. The Ao never asked me a lot of question about my statement, instead she was asking me about the embassy information which was different with my application. I was help in filling the application of visa because I was still in hide out. am still in fear of returning to my country can the way I came affect my asylum.pleace need advice

Hi Nunka,

Now, let me try to respond to your question. Under section 212(a)(6)(C)(i) of the immigration and national act, a person is inadmissible to united States of America if she or he willfully of fraudulently misrepresents a material fact to a consular officer of DHS officer in an attempt to or in obtaining a visa. So it's not a good thing to lie during your visa interview.

However, people seeking asylum most of the time have to lie in order to get visa to come to the states. So it's not common to see such cases. It's important that you clearly explain the situation properly, (with the help of a good attorney) if yourcaseis referred to an immigration Judge. Saying you we're assisted to fill the form is never a good defense, coz you know what, you signed it at the end. But it's better to say it was based on your fear of persecution and you has to leave your country either way. When you say this, you turn your weakness into a strength. The officers understand that getting a visa is hard, and unfortunately one can only file for asylum once in America, so they can and do forgive when you make it clear that you were running for your life.

Waz!

Hi Rimaya,
You are entitled to change your CIS processing office at anytime you want. However you need to understand the risk you face by doing that;-
1. Your clock will be stopped and restarted over again. This means you will not be eligible to apply for EAD until another 150 days from the day you changed the office. Currently you have only 1 month to apply and get your EAD. So you need to think about what you would prefer and the benefits.

2. Changing the CIS office may not really help. Coz all offices tend to have some sort of delay. You may just end up waiting even longer at your new CIS office. The CIS normally line up cases as they come in, so yours may end up being so far down the road.

3. Have you checked out the CIS acceptance rate at your new or old CIS office. Each CIS office have their denial and acceptance rate. Some are 80% denial and others are 80% acceptance rate. I would try to get this info before changing the CIS office.

Wazimu.
100% I. Agree with Waz. Do not change you office. It can make you wait longer.

Hi everyone,

24 may 2013 :Asylum application sent
28 may 2013 : received acknowledgement of receipt for asylum
07 june 2013: fingerprint notice received
11 june 2013: I went to do my fingerprint

Still awaiting interview notice from Chicago CIS office. Is there anybody who applied at Chicago office and is still waiting? I understand that I haven't waiting for long, but I would like to share some ideas with somebody who is also waiting for Chicago office to send them their interview notice. Or someone who received it already. Thanks.

Waz!

Hi Waz
I read all your posts! You have good info about the topic!
We have friends here from Chicago office like Seanmat ! He waited along time for his interview and finally after 3 months he got it! the previous week!
Mine is in Anaheim and it's about 90 days waiting for interview!
Do you have any information about these delays? Most of the people say that this is unusual!

Hi Waz
I read all your posts! You have good info about the topic!
We have friends here from Chicago office like Seanmat ! He waited along time for his interview and finally after 3 months he got it! the previous week!
Mine is in Anaheim and it's about 90 days waiting for interview!
Do you have any information about these delays? Most of the people say that this is unusual!

Hi April2013,

Thanks for reading all my posts! I will try to help as much as I can.

I am certainly aware of the delay in processing the various forms and applications by immigration. I am not an attorney but work for an immigration attorney who has some friends at immigration. Part of the delay is caused by the recent Sequester Act that was introduced and rolled out in March of this year (2013). The Act led to federal budget cuts designed to save $85.4 billion in fiscal year (FY) 2013, and as you are aware immigration falls under federal issue. This has led to the CIS having to work with less staff and yet the number of asylum request has gone up. As a result, there are so many delays in processing cases. The trickle down effect has been seen in the immigration court where the immigration judges are scheduling some cases for 2015 due to their full calendars. It's so bad and I pray for all of us to have a fast processing time. See attached URL for your review and further reading.

http://blog.ogletreedeakins.com/sequestration-likely-to-affect-immigration-services/
http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision.../story?id=18600283&ref=http://www.google.com/

Waz!

thnaks a lot my friend about your information

ok i agree with you, i don't change my asylum office

Hi Rimaya,

Wazimu.

Heeeeeeeey! Just keep up! We're in the line! Me, you, Asylum 2012, and ... are all in Anaheim Office, and if we keep each other posted on our status there is no place for anxiety! Just wait and never give up!

Heeeeeeeey! Just keep up! We're in the line! Me, you, Asylum 2012, and ... are all in Anaheim Office, and if we keep each other posted on our status there is no place for anxiety! Just wait and never give up!

ok my friend i never give up

thnks a lot

waz

Hi Nunka,
hi waz thank so much for you words. i under went alot in my country,
its true i hard to leave my country either way.am still positive i didn't get their decision yet but am positive.i applied for my work permit 2 weeks ago but they didn't send me for figure print yet is it normal.