Applying for Family member (Brothers)

desi1234

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Happy Holidays!
I recently became a citizen. I would like to apply for my two brothers to come here on immigrant visas (Permanent Residents) . Both of them are under 16 years of age. They are currently in my home country. What form(s) do I need to file relating to bringing them here?

You help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Thank you for your quick reply and response. So it will be more than 14 years before they get immigrant visas?

Is there a website to check this timeline?

Once again, Thank you!!

Thank you for your quick reply and response. So it will be more than 14 years before they get immigrant visas?
Yes, it's about that long, as siblings have the lowest priority of all family-based categories. And while they wait they won't be able to get a tourist visa to visit the US.

What if they already have a tourist visa? I am planning to sponsor my brother who is over 21 and single, he has a tourist visa that is good for 10 years, he has also come to visit a couple of times and stayed 1 - 2 months then he has gone back since he is a full time student. Would he be able to visit us while his I-130 is in process???

Thanks!

Would he be able to visit us while his I-130 is in process???

There is no statutory prohibition against entering the US in B status while one has a pending or approved immigrant visa petition. However, the onus will be on him to clearly prove to the satisfaction of the POE officer that he will leave the US at the end of his authorized stay. Having ties to his home country is critical, as is a return plane ticket. Indicating at the POE that he is aware of the long priority date wait and intends to return may help, as will requesting a period of stay only a few days longer than his return ticket date.

If he can do this successfully once or twice and can establish a clear pattern of temporary stays, in theory future entrances as a B visitor will become easier, but there are no guarantees.