Applying for Canadian Citizenship after having US Green Card

dhirendra_sh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a Indian passport holder. I got my Canada PR in Dec/2004. In Dec/2007 , I got my US GC.

Can i apply for Canadian citizenship ? Will it impact my US citizenship as I will be accepting Canadian citizenship after becoming a US PR?

As soon as i get Canadian citizenship, my India passport will become invalid.

What you guys recommend ?

Thanks,

US citizenship won't be affected if you get any other citizenship. You just have to maintain residence and ties to the US during the process.

Hi,

I am a Indian passport holder. I got my Canada PR in Dec/2004. In Dec/2007 , I got my US GC.

Can i apply for Canadian citizenship ? Will it impact my US citizenship as I will be accepting Canadian citizenship after becoming a US PR?

Thanks,

You can apply (and hope to get it) only if you have lived in Canada for 3 years out of last 4 years.

Your USC should not be affected because of you becoming cdn (in case you become cdn).

My understanding was if a US PR takes up a full time job in a foriegn country (excluding US based companies and US Govt. jobs), US PR status and citizenship eligibility both are jeopardized.

If a person becomes a Citizen of another country, then there is no impact on US GC / citizenship eligibiility ?

Yes. If you can become another country's citizen while being able to maintain US residency, then it's no problem.

Should you mention that you are US green card in the canada citizenship?

If so, will US know that you are applying for Canada citizenship?

What about the field in application - should mentioned US greencard or not? If put US greencard, any adverse impact to US greencard or future US citizen application?

Not sure how it work now a days, but about 2 years ago I read in this forum that if at the time of border crossing between US and Canada, they (Immigration officer) find out that you have PR for both UA and Canada, you were supposed to surrender one. Search in this forum and you should be able to find such threads. The basic idea behind PR is that you want to stay there permanantly. If you take PR for 2 countries at the same time, then which one you are living in. I understand that you can have PR for one country, become citizen of that country, then go to 2nd country and become PR and eventually may be a citizen also. Taking PR of 2 countries at a time does not sound right. This is just my opinion, do your own research on it.

This is a good question.

Is there anyone here who has more insight (up-to-date) about getting Canadian PR while somehow maintaining US PR?

If you apply for Canadian PR, and disclose that you hold US PR, could this information end up with US gov't (who might use the fact that you are applying for Canadian PR to cancel your US PR status)

In theory, if a person gets Canadian PR while still in US, he can use that to enter Canada then go back and forth between Canada and US (I think now we need re-entry permit to re-enter USA even if driving) just in time to avoid staying too long out of either country which would lose either PR status.

Please share if you have any relevant knowledge/insights about this subject. I think some people could benefit from this as one could apply for Canadian PR (and eventually Canadian citizenship)

Hello Dhirendra

What happen for your case

Hi,

Thanks,