Applying for a US passport - STICKY

How long is regular processing taking now anyway? Has the rush passed?

My wife needed to renew her existing passport, so we sent the application 2 weeks ago. According to the the DOS website, it's currently taking between 4-6 weeks for regular processing. From what I've seen, it's been taking closer to 4 weeks than 6.

My wife received her new passport yesterday, along with our marriage certificate that we had to submit as evidence of her name change. All in all, it took 3 weeks to process a renewal application.

I applied for my passport and passcard on February 15. Status now states;

If you applied for both a U.S. Passport Book and a U.S. Passport Card on the same application, the newly issued documents, as well as your returned citizenship evidence, may be mailed to you in separate packages at different times. Therefore, it is possible to receive 3 separate mailings; one with your returned citizenship evidence, one with your newly issued passport book, and one with your newly issued passport card. It is currently being processed.

Your passport application locator number is 24xxxxxxx.

When you applied, you requested Routine Service. See our website for more information on current Processing Times.

We are processing Routine Applications in approximately 4 to 6 weeks from the time of application.

If you are traveling within 2 weeks and have not received your passport and have further questions about the status of your application, you may e-mail or contact the National Passport Information Center with the above locator number. It will enable them to update you on the status of your application.

Anyone has a recent timeline on how fast they got their pp and pc?

It depends on the passport centre that is processing your application. For Seattle centre it is approximately 4 weeks for routine and 2 weeks for rush.

Mine was sent to NH and it still showing locator number. What process do they go through for verification? I'm not sure if they will finish processing my passport due to my drivers license not bearing my full name, if that happens will they suspend the application, and send me back my birth certificate?

FlyingHigh - mine was sent to NH as well on Feb 12th - still showing the same status.... no change. I am concerned that if the federal shutdown happens next week, the passport creation may get stalled for longer. I have a planned trip in March............. :-(

I am just in need of a passport because the new employer that will be hiring me would want me to travel back, and forth from the States to Canada. Did you apply expedited, or regular service? I hope there is no March 4th shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regular service. But now I am wondering if I should call it in and change it over to expedited. It might get done by next week! :) Keeping my fingers crossed.

Have you called lately to find out the status, or did you just look online? Keep us updated over here.

went to check on my status and got this.

U.S. Passport Application Status

ADODB.Command error '800a0e7d'

The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either closed or invalid in this context.

/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp, line 43

My status just changed to :
________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book!

Your passport application locator number is XXXXXXXXXX.

We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you using Priority Mail.

You should receive your passport on or about 03/05/2011.
________________________________________________________________________________________

They even have a priority mail tracking number. Now the wait for USPS to deliver it :)

FYI - I thought my application would be processed by New Hampshire or somewhere close to me, but based on the tracking information, it sounds like it is coming from Arkansas! Interesting! :)

Hmm I think that is the printing facility, your actual paper work goes to a different dept after lock-box, and sent for adjudication. You will see when you get your birth certificate that would be the facility it was originally processed at.

Got my passport today! :)

Another interesting fact. Based on tracking information, the package was mailed from Arkansas. But the return address is to New Hampshire. I guess the latter is the processing facility and the former is the printing facility.

Congrats. I was typing to a fellow friend of mine that applied on the 12th of Feb, and she has got her passport today also, but the funny thing is on the website it did not warn her, or give her any information that she would be receiving it today.

Yeah, it was kind of weird in my case too... Last Saturday, I saw the status update to what I posted above, with a link to the USPS tracking number. When I check it on Wednesday again just to track the package, the tracking number was gone and my expected date of delivery was changed to 3/6 (from original 3/5). Funny how it works.... :)