Any May filers around?

I have a question for you, how hard is it to get a second level IO on the phone.

I tried crying like you did, even sniffled a bit. Unfortunately the Customer Service Rep just laughed in my face and said "try again mate" :)

I guess it depends on how lucky you are and your individual circumstances.

austraicus, constructus, praetorian XI ........... stop all the mayhem, you all sound characters from a scene in Julius Caesar :) waiting for who is going to do the stabbing

I tried crying like you did, even sniffled a bit. Unfortunately the Customer Service Rep just laughed in my face and said "try again mate" :)

I guess it depends on how lucky you are and your individual circumstances.

well go check my thread and you'll see how lucky I was in talking to an IO today. July/August thread

Once again, drama is not entertainment to me.

I still believe that political views have not their place on this forum. Legally people have the right to say whatever they want as long as it does not hurt anybody but it does not change the fact that amidst all the people with serious problems here that behavior is one of a bunch of "JERKS".

I have some info for YOU people who get your GC's and think you "RUN THIS". You are guests here. We are guests here. Paying taxes for 3 months doesn't make you a decider. Whether you like it or not, that's what you are: a guest. Read this if you do not believe me: http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/retain-greencard.html

A GREEN CARD IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT.
You can be stripped of your residency. So re-think all that CRAP about this is your home: It's not!! You are a guest so be thankful that this great country "invited" you in until you at least become a citizen. A homeowner does not get kicked out of his OWN house right? So if a LPR can get stripped of his residency, that makes him a guest.

Since this is all fun and games with "your newly found internet friends", why not get each others emails and phone numbers via PM and chat together.

Show respect to people, and people will in turn show you that same respect.

Hey Mr P. do I sound like a doormat to you now still? You do not know people so use your expressions wisely. I will not let myself put down by ANYBODY, but I will always know where my place is.

Enough with this BS at this point.

Note: I apologize to other people with serious problems for all this BS that has been posted on my behalf because it took us away from the goal of this forum. But I blame the new OWNERS of the USA for this situation.

Part of respecting the laws of a country is to let ITS CITIZENS decide what it should become. You do not like it: then leave.

I repeat that I do not understand why some people do not want to learn ENGLISH, or why some things should be in SPANISH, and I know a lot of people disagree with what I think. But I, think this is not the place to express such views that's why I was "intelligent enough" (Yes Mr P. I said Intelligent) to not bark all my personal views here on a public immigration helping forum.

Constructus, I think you have a very narrow idea of what becoming a permanent resident is... I will attribute it to the fact that you are not one and have not read about it?

Here is some info straight from USCIS, just to let you know some of the rights of an LPR and how USCIS can't just come and kick you out of your "home".

Link:http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

Welcome
Now that you have become a Permanent Resident of the United States we would like to welcome and congratulate you on your accomplishment. Some of you came to the United States as immigrants through a relative or through an employer. Some of you came as refugees or were given asylum status. And some of you came through other programs, like the Diversity Visa Lottery. But now that you are Permanent Residents you all share the same status. You have certain rights and certain responsibilities as Permanent Residents. This document will give you a general idea of what those rights and responsibilities are and some other useful information related to your immigration status as a Permanent Resident. You may also wish to read Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants, a guide (in English and 10 other languages) containing practical information to help immigrants settle into everyday life in the United States, as well as basic civics information that introduces new immigrants to the U.S. system of government.

Some of you may be CONDITIONAL RESIDENTS. This page applies equally to you while you are in conditional resident status. The difference between you and an unconditioned permanent resident is that your permanent resident status will expire in two years from when it was given, unless you successfully petition to have the condition removed. Those of you with conditional permanent residence either received your residence through a marriage relationship where the marriage was less than two years old at the time you became a Permanent Resident, or you received that status through an investment as an employment creation immigrant (EB-5). If you successfully petition for removal of the condition on your immigration status, this page will still apply to you as a Permanent Resident.

Rights
As a Permanent Resident you have most of the rights of a United States Citizen but there are some exceptions.

Rights
  • To live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable (deportable) under the immigration law (section 237, Immigration and Nationality Act).
  • To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.
  • To be protected by all of the laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions.
  • To vote in local elections where United States Citizenship is not required.
Exceptions
  • Some jobs will be limited to United States Citizens because of security concerns.
  • You may not vote in elections limited to United States Citizens.

Responsibilities
You are required to obey all of the laws of the United States, the States, and localities. You are required to file your income tax returns and report you income to the US Internal Revenue Service and State IRS. You are expected to support the democratic form of government and cannot attempt to change the government through illegal means. If you are a male, age 18 through 25, you are required to register with the Selective Service.

International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

You can find more information about travel documents from "How Do I Get a Travel Document?"

Maintaining Permanent Residence
Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

• Move to another country intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
  • Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.
Naturalization
Many Permanent Residents of the United States have the ultimate goal of becoming a US citizen. Naturalization is the primary method for most persons not born as US citizens to obtain that status. Under current law naturalization is done by the federal and state courts and in an administrative proceedings. Once a permanent resident completes the necessary residence and physical presence requirements (which vary in certain cases), an application for naturalization can be filed with Immigration. This starts a review of the person’s basic eligibility, criminal and security histories, and then leads to testing of the person’s English language abilities, knowledge of the history and form of government of the US, and good moral character. Complete information on naturalization can be obtained on our Naturalization page.

As a naturalized US citizen you have the same rights and privileges as a native born US citizen with one exception. Only a native born US citizen can be president of the United States. As a US citizen you can petition for your parents and siblings to immigrate to the US. Your spouse and children (unmarried and under 21 years of age) qualify for immediate relative classification for immigration purposes, which means they do not have a waiting list to immigrate (like the spouse and children of a Permanent Resident) and can do so as fast as the paperwork can be processed.

Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

A Conditional Permanent Resident is issued a card valid for two years. In order to remain a Permanent Resident, the Conditional Permanent Resident must file a petition to remove the condition during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditional card cannot be renewed. The condition must be removed or you lose your permanent resident status. (See Form I-751 and Form I-829.)

The Permanent Resident Card (either unconditioned or conditioned) can be used to prove employment eligibility in the US when completing the Form I-9 for a new employer. It can also be used to apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license. The card is valid for readmission to the United States if the trip was not greater than one year in length. If a trip will last longer than one year, a reentry permit is needed.

Relatives
A Permanent Resident can petition for some relatives to join him or her in the United States as immigrants. Those relatives are your spouse and children, regardless of age. See our page on "Immigration through a Family Member".

If you had a spouse and children when you became a Permanent Resident, they may be eligible for permanent residence through you without filing separate petitions. This depends on how you qualified for your permanent residence. You should ask an immigration officer, attorney, or voluntary help organization for advice about this.

Voting
One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting. As a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens.

Change of Address
You are required to notify us of any change of address within 10 days of that change. Form AR-11 is used for that purpose. You can learn more about change of address requirements is found at "How Do I Report a Change of Address?"

Now, of course "OBTAINING" a Green Card is a privilege, not a right...

But once you obtain it... it is yours, that is why it is called "PERMANENT" residency.

Is it revocable? OF COURSE IT IS... everything is... if you commit such action to be deported, etc.

The US authorities, in all of their laws can revoke your LIFE :p... Death Sentence... or your FREEDOM... Life Sentence... If you break the law.

But if you abide by the law, and stick to your responsibilities... then you are ENTITLED to your rights. Those are the rights that I, as LPR, am exercising.

well Magda, be happy! People are surely writing here now. :)

That was good!!! ;-)

I don't have time to read this whole "discussion" now, I will read it later, but it seems like it is going to be interesting...

okay, Praetorian, I will PM you my address. Thanks!

Magda

Some more info:

Immigrants: Your Rights as a Permanent Resident

Under federal law, immigrants who are in the U.S. as permanent residents enjoy many of the same freedoms that U.S. citizens enjoy. Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, permanent residents also enjoy the right to be free from discrimination based on their race, ethnicity, and national origin -- in employment, education, health care, and housing (among other settings). Following is a discussion of basic rights and freedoms of permanent residents.
Rights of Permanent Residents
As a permanent resident, you have the right to:
  • Live and work permanently anywhere in the U.S.
  • Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.
  • Request a visa for your husband or wife and unmarried children to live in the U.S.
  • Get Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.
  • Own property in the U.S.
  • Apply for a driver's license in your state or territory.
  • Leave and return to the U.S. under certain conditions.
  • Attend public school and college.
  • Join certain branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • Purchase or own a firearm, as long as there are no state or local restrictions saying you can't.

From U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Listen I am tired and have other things to do.

You just gave me a link that says exactly the same thing as the link that I gave you? I do not get your point.

Both links say that YOU CAN GET "KICKED" out if you do not follow some rules.
My link added the fact that LPR is a PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT, that was the only difference.

If an AMERICAN commits some crimes, he goes to jail and then is released. If you commit those same crimes, you are jailed then "kicked" out.

Plus I read somewhere that it is against the law to pass as a CITIZEN, so hold your horses.

Plus this wasn't even the initial problem. The problem was all the BLABBERING back and fourth between you and your friends. 1st amendment rights should not lead us to "disrespect others".

What I saw in your post is that you are a GUEST. So thanks for making my point. I know that really bothers you to hear that, but its a fact whether you like it or not, or whether you have 2,000 plus posts here. An LPR is still subject to deportation.

Hello??? How hard is that to understand.

Ok, let's stop this back and fourth nonsense. You lured me into doing what I was complaining about you doing with your friends. And I on the other hand have no need, nor will to converse with such arrogant, cynical and selfish people on a personal level.

Lol, that is not that hard to understand. Hell Constuctus I understand what you are saying. Let's see GC holders try to vote next year, lets see if he get jailed, then thrown out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure... did I ever say an LPR can not get deported?

Of course they can... but if they follow "some rules" they can stay?

That is true to everyone... I do not know about you, but I do not plan on committing crimes or voting in elections only open to USC or failing to pay taxes... if that is your case, then I see why you are so worried of losing you LPR-ship :rolleyes:

How hard is it for you to get this?

OBTAINING an LPR status is a privilege, not a right... that is why you have to bare with the waiting, the idiotic CSRs of USCIS, the namecheck, etc...

BUT ONCE YOU RECEIVE IT. You are granted rights and responsibilities... if you follow your responsibilities, you are entitled to your rights. AND if you don't... then yeah, be deported. When did I ever say you can not be deported?

Some people have the mentality of whenever seeking a benefit... you must bow and bow and take all kinds of trash... like when applying for a visa over and over and over... you are subject to all kinds of things, because you are seeking a benefit. But once you obtain that benefit, if you stick to your side of the deal... there is no reason why you can not have fair use of such benefit?

As far as "disrespecting people"... Austriacus, Magda and I, were having a pleasant conversation and you "butt-ed in" trying to be offended about who knows what having to do with people speaking spanish vs english?? :p It is rude to interrupt someone else's conversation. (And yes, I know this is a PUBLIC forum... but go to a PUBLIC park, teather, street, etc. Then find two people talking to each other, and butt-in and interrupt them and tell them you disagree what they are talking about and let's see if they do not think you are "disrespecting" them?).

So, go do your "things" and get the heck out of the May filers thread, because you are not one and you are not neither giving advice, or helping anyone.

Go have fun with your own "peas"...

LMAO still. Look at Head Master Pea Sur. You go girl, O forgot this is a guy fight and not a cat fight. I'm out, back to my thread. Where the good peas are.

Very interesting discussion here. Let me observe a couple of things:

1. The person who started this political/immigration debate here is none other than constructus himself. Before, we were innocently throwing around news about Austin's new mass transit system, and we were informing each other about the Welcome Guides and reading its contents in different languages. Praetorian happened to offer me a non-English guide in a language I'm semi-familiar with, a language my mom would enjoy reading more than English, and I also noticed the guides in different languages are differently priced. I'm not sure how anyone could have taken offense from that discussion, or how it was inappropriate in the May filer's thread. In fact, I bet there's quite a few May filers that have been studying the Guide recently and looked at the different languages. The political/immigration debate only started when constructus asked me whether I agree with Lou Dobbs' views, which I explained to him in its entirety.

2. Even so, I don't think a political/immigration debate is inappropriate in an immigration forum, specifically the May filer's thread. As Praetorian already pointed out, many May filers are now permanent residents and may be quite interested in helping to shape future US immigration policy for their own good, their family's good, and this nation's good.

3. I further do not think that certain topics unrelated to immigration are inappropriate in this thread. I very much enjoy giving information about taxes, finances, or any other basic thing a newcomer to this country would want to know that I've learned the hard way, and I believe is fully appropriate in the May filer's thread as some people start to focus on settling into this country and looking beyond immigration rules.

4. Specific to constructus' notion of us being "guests" I don't believe it means we cannot help shape public policy. US public policy is influenced by many sides, including the actions of foreign governments, lobbying by foreign corporations, even lobbying by illegal immigrant groups (remember the thousands of demonstrators who demonstrated against the government fixing its broken immigration system?). Then why should LPRs, or for that matter nonimmigrant visa holders who reside here for a substantial part of their life, not be part of this debate? I think the notion of "guest" here is really an articificial distinction, it's meaningless. If someone lives here indefinitely, fulfills their responsibilities, contributes to the community or the country, there is nothing immoral about trying to shape public policy. The only right you don't have is the right to vote, but you do have the right to educate and influence others. Would it be wrong to discuss with my USC wife who she will vote for? If I paid a lot more taxes than my USC wife, is it wrong for me to strive for those taxes be put to a use I find meaningful, if it will ultimately affect my life and my future USC children's lives? Constructus, you dismissed Praetorian's 3 months of tax payment as justification - how about my 106 months? Where are you willing to draw the line?

5. As far as I'm concerned, this debate has nothing to do with who of us is a permanent resident or not. I've held and expressed the same views as a nonimmigrant. I don't try to influence public policy more or less as a LPR as I was when I was on F-1 or H-1B. The key is, I was living in this country with no definite plan to leave, therefore I believe it is appropriate for me to participate in the shaping of public policy.

Mr P., Your last post not only by the content but mainly by the reasoning shows how I was wrong about you. Yes I did think you had some sort of an intelligent thinking, but boy was I wrong. All this advice you divulge here is only based on case studies you did on previous people. You really cannot think for yourself.

Case in point: You did say you consider this to be your house (look at post 2270 of this thread). I have info for you: You cannot get kicked out of your own house: thus you are a guest.

Where did I say anything about committing crimes and not paying taxes? Come on man base attacks on facts, we are all adults here. You sank really low on that one.

Now not only does this country belong to you, but so does this THREAD? I may or may not have helped people here, but as I said all I can do is to share what I went through with other people, personal experience.

I am not a lawyer like yourself. BTW did you get your LAWYER CERTIFICATE after your 1,000 post or is the mandatory limit 1,500?

Have you noticed how in all your posts you seek the help of your friends? You name them all the time. I have no real problem with any of them, your the KING arrogant who escalated all this. It's a sign of weakness when people face a situation and in all their posts try to call out for help by mentioning their friends names. I never mentioned people's names, I just called them your friends (very weak Mr P).

Since you mention names, how come MAGDAJ doesn't post her address here for you to mail those leaflets for everyone to see? Because its a private issue
, so why don't you discuss all this BS privately too and then come on the forum to give general interesting info?

On the contrary to you who thinks you are the master now, I do not think I have the power to make you stop posting here. I just advise you to be respectful of others and not post nonsense for which we have no utility here.

So now the MAY thread is yours? LOL

What's wrong Mr P. your usual firm rhetoric seems a little shaky all of a sudden.

Your analogy to being in a park is so retarded that I will not really waist to much time on that, if not to tell you that once again you used an example to your own detriment.

I know you do not understand what I mean, so I guess I will try to explain it to you.

Two people talking to each other in a public park, would still make their conversation private. Therefore I would not BUT-IN and poke my nose into it even if I did not agree. The fact that the park is public does not make their conversation public.

The fact that you and your friends post your personal fallacious views on the public section of an immigration helping forum instead of using PM's makes it public, therefore I did not BUTT-IN anything private. Your smart right? You should have figured that others where here to.

I could really do this all night because you really aren't as smart as I thought you were, but you are really looking foolish at this point. PLEASE STOP (LOL).

As soon as you get out of the legal JARGON you have come to be familiar with here (I-130, I-485, RD, LUD, ND, NOA,...) your completely brain dead. You make absolutely no sense.

You keep on giving me examples or links to things that go completely against your own nonsense. Please keep this lawyer thing just an INTERNET PSEUDO-LAWYER THING. If you became a real lawyer, you would be the one to get your own clients convicted.

Or you could just stick to PHOTOGRAPHY.

Bottom line is, you are not INDISPENSABLE. The world and this forum will not stop once you leave. Others will help. If you think that because you helped 10 people that gives you a free pass to disrespect 10 others, you are wrong.

HA HA HA...

I am starting to enjoy your foolishness.

Hmm,

I believe Lou Dobbs does not know a thing that he is talking about...he attacks everyone irrationally. BTW, I am not hispanic but you cannot blame everything on them.

He complains about outsourcing, does he know the world is a global market place? If American Coy's had to keep the jobs here, they will not be able to compete. As for immigration issues, in public policy there are two things that happen, either you fix the issue or leave it alone. America cannot afford to deport everyone, it is physically impossible to do so! Meaning something needs to be done about it.

By the way, those of you saying English should be the only language, what about the language spoken by the Native Americans? Shouldn't theirs be the official language? I am not supporting one language over the other, all I am saying is that "the only constant thing in the world is change", therefore if there is a large population that only speak that, services should be extended to them.

Cheers'

I would tend to disagree; I consider Lou Dobbs as very well educated in global trade and immigration matters.

The market is only global insofar countries allow it to be global through their trade agreements. I hope you would agree with me that prosperity from economic growth, and keeping employment high, is mostly a local (state and national) phenomenon. If a nation outsources a substantial part of its labor and production outside the country, a nation's wealth will flow outside the country - as it does, for the US - leading to high public debt and poor long term living standard, even poor education as high skilled immigrants are coming here effectively "outsourcing education". I don't think markets can be trading completely freely until we do away with borders and have a unified global taxation and social policy system.

About the immigration system, I agree with you something needs to be done about it. Exactly also Lou Dobbs' posititon on this. I don't think he's advocating that the only solution is that all illegal aliens be deported. If it's physically possible to do so, I think it definitely could be, other countries are quite good at this. If it is the right or smart thing to do at this point to deport all illegal aliens, that's a different story; we have tragic cases to deal with, like undocumented children who grew up here through no fault of their own.

About the language, my only point is that there should be a single unifying language that all participants of the US society are well versed in. I think it's part of this country's much better cohesion than Europe, for instance.

I have info for you: You cannot get kicked out of your own house: thus you are a guest.

Well I have info for you, you can get kicked out of your own house. We have about 2 million people in this country facing foreclosure. Of course, since they were still paying for their house, would you consider them "guests" in their house? Should I consider myself a guest in my apartment, not knowing if I can afford to live in it some time in the future? If there's a chance I will lose my fully paid off house because of flood or fire damage, do I consider myself a guest?

constructus (and anyone else who feels it addresses them), I would suggest you stop personally attacking Praetorian (or anyone else for that matter). If you strive to have more "morally responsible" and/or informative content in this thread, that's just about the nastiest form of content I can imagine. Let's discuss issues and facts if you want.

Using PM for sharing addresses has nothing to do with private vs. public. Posting this information in public would simply invite spam and compromise someone's safety.

The park example for a public conversation is not far off, certainly not "retarded" as you suggest. The equivalent of a thread would be a group of people having a conversation in this park. If you want to listen to them, go join them, if not, don't bother and look for a conversation elsewhere in the park (which would be the forum).

Perhaps what you need to understand is, what I write here, I mean to be read by an audience, not one person. I don't have enough time to communicate with everyone individually here; I hope that whatever I contribute will help many people at once.

Austriacus, thanks for coming to the HELP of your "bud" because he was "kinda" weak.

It's funny, but since you want to know, everything you said about immigration problems here and language I agree with. My problem about LOU DOBBS is that he has made the MEXICANS responsible for everything in this country. I wouldn't be surprised if he also said that the fires in California are MEXICAN RELATED.

As for owning a house and paying for it, that's two different things.

I will repeat that I may agree with that, but I think all your little insinuations shouldn't be here. It has nothing to do with the subject. There is a time and a place for everything. I am not telling you, like MASTER P. is telling me to leave the (public) MAY thread because he is an active member of that thread. What I am telling you is that your/our personal views shouldn't be exposed here. If they are then get ready to have them challenged. And this is not what people who still do not have their situations sorted out want to read about here.

You all are friends, get each others emails, and you can send 1 message to all your friends in one go. It really isn't that hard.

Let's be honest you and Mr P. know a lot now about immigration issues, but you didn't know all this when you came on here at first. What if everybody before you started their little closed knit (personal) threads and started talking about politics and their views. Where would you have educated yourself on immigration matters then?

It's not because you are done that now you are going to start having fun and games here.

I am not arrogant enough to tell you to leave this forum, but I can ask you to respect others, and not use this platform for expression of personal views (which I agree with).

I have not taken anything you have said to me personally as an insult, and my intent was not to insult you, but that other "DUDE" seems to have grown some wings lately.

Finally, even though at No point was this initially terms of this AMERICAN POLITICS debate "YA'LL" dragged me into, like it or not: WE ARE GUESTS OF OUR AMERICAN HOSTS. Does that mean they can spit in our faces? NO!!! But we are still their guests.

When you can vote for all the important issues is when you cease to be a guest.

It's as simple as 1+1