Any January filers out there?!?!

I have been to interview yesterday with my wife. Everything went well, but then at the end the officer said my namecheck has not cleared yet. He reminded me of the 6-month waiting period for the namecheck (starting from Jan 9).
It is very annoying. :mad:

at least it is 6 months not 2 years! 6 months goes by so fast dude!

think about all the others who waited for it for so long!

just be patient, the worst part is over now it is just a waiting game, work some overtime, so you can save up to take the wifey for a great bahamas cruise after you get the gc! how does that sound?

Hi all, just came back from the hall and finally dropped off the favors, poster, cash box, final payment, etc. Wow, it's been a hectic couple of weeks! Good thing I took off of work tomorrow so I can get some much needed rest. I'll have to go to the SSA tomorrow to get the "VALID ONLY WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION" stamp taken off my SS card, and I've already passed by the DMV today to get the "TEMPORARY VISITOR STATUS" off of my DL.

Anyway, on to the details of the interview (scheduled for 2PM):

We arrived at Garden City at 1:30, went through the security check and submitted our letter at Window 1. My lawyer arrived at around 1:50, and we were called up to the 2nd floor at 2:15. At around 2:30, a nice lady called us into her office. She swore us in, then we all sat down.

She asked for her drivers license, and my passport. She took the I-94 and stapled it onto a page in our file. She asked my wife where we met, my birth date, city and country I was born, how many brothers and sisters I have, my parents names and what I do for work.

She then asked me when was the last time I entered the US, if I went to school here, and all the NO questions. That's basically it, I don't remember any other questions directed towards me.

She asked for joint paperwork, so we gave her joint bank statements, apartment lease agreements, auto and health insurance cards, statement for our engagement ring/wedding rings insurance, and cell phone bill with family plan with me as the secondary line. We also told her we are having our ceremony this Sunday, so she asked to see a sample of our invitation. She said it was very nice and our lawyer suggested for her to keep it for her file.

She then asked for photos. We had a very large bag full of albums, but my wife picked out the album with the night of our engagement, engagement photos, and our town hall marriage. She asked my wife to give her two photos of us together to keep. She asked if we are planning on having a honeymoon and my wife said we will when she gets some vacation time, because she just started her new job. I threw in there that we want to go to the Bahamas for our honeymoon.

She then said I wish I had good news for you today but your background check is still pending. She then said that it usually takes around 6 months. She then proceeded to check whether it has cleared yet, and after about a minute on the computer she says "oh I have very good news for you!". She then said that the background check has cleared.

She congratulated us and then told us that she will hang on to the passport and send it downstairs to get stamped. We then proceeded downstairs, waited about 15 minutes, and someone from Window 2 called me up and gave me my passport, with the stamp, and handed me a sheet with instructions on how to remove the 2 year condition. She also briefly explained the procedure, and then she wished me well.

The whole process took about 2 hours, and the interview lasted about 10-15 minutes. It was definitely a breeze, and nothing to stress about. During the entire time I was calm, looked the officer in the eye, and felt very confident since I was well prepared.

My advice to you all: Be well prepared, and you will NOT be nervous at all. I think my wife was more nervous than I was!

To my fellow January filers: I wish you all good luck, and I hope your outcome will be as good as Canuck's and myself.

I am really glad everything went nice, really happy for you guys! it must to feel really good when you can just get that all done and over with so you can go on with your life!

congrats, and really enjoy your life and do not abandon us now that you guys got settled!!!

i understand that a lot is going trough with the wedding but whenever you have time, you should come by and support us!!!:)

at least it is 6 months not 2 years! 6 months goes by so fast dude!

think about all the others who waited for it for so long!

just be patient, the worst part is over now it is just a waiting game, work some overtime, so you can save up to take the wifey for a great bahamas cruise after you get the gc! how does that sound?

Thanks for the support.
No, it is annoying because We've waited for 3 years for my wife's naturalization case and it moved only after pro se lawsuit. Now, this seems shorter, but still, as far I get from the posts on the namecheck thread, after 6 months it does not necessarily moves automatically.
I was pissed so I told officer that we've waited for so long for my wife and I hope USCIS would surprise me this time! He had a smirky smile on his face.

I know where you are coming from

Thanks for the support.
No, it is annoying because We've waited for 3 years for my wife's naturalization case and it moved only after pro se lawsuit. Now, this seems shorter, but still, as far I get from the posts on the namecheck thread, after 6 months it does not necessarily moves automatically.
I was pissed so I told officer that we've waited for so long for my wife and I hope USCIS would surprise me this time! He had a smirky smile on his face.

I can totally understand your situation & could feel your frustration. I'm in the same situation. My citizenship took almost 2 yrs. It was a very bumpy ride. I was working in Alabama & used to drive home (Atlanta) on the wknds, just to see if I heard from USCIS. I went thru 2 finger prints and 3 interview appointments. Hired attorneys, wrote letters to senators, congressman, N-400 supervosor in TX, made infopass apptts and made phone calls to USCIS every month. In the end, I got my citizenship thru law suit, paid this attorney almost $3000. I applied for citizenship in April 2006 and got it in Jan of this year. I just wanted to be naturalized so that I could apply for my wife's GC immediately. I applied for her in Jan. First I got RFE, that probably delayed my case by a week or 2 and then finally got an interview letter to be scheduled for May 13th and then on Monday got a cancellation letter for the interview. I don't know what's going on. I hope this wait is over soon.

My timeline:

Atlanta DO

Sent complete package
(approved I-130, I-485, I-864, G325 & medical report): Jan 16th, 2008
Received by USCIS: Jan 19th
FP Notice sent: Jan 29th
RFE sent by USCIS: Feb 7th
RFE received: Feb 19th
RFE sent back to USCIS: Feb 20th
FP done: Feb 22nd
RFE sent back again using certified mail: Feb 29th
RFE received by USCIS: March 3rd
Case resumed: March 5th
IL received: March 20th
Interview Date: May 13th @ 8:30am
Interview cancelled: April 7th

Congrats

Jan08Filer,

Congrats again. Thanks for sharing your experience. Your IO seemed pretty professional & fruendly. I am so happy & glad that your wait is over. Remember us in your prayers man & all the best.

Take care.

Thanks Atlanta, I'm hoping for the best for all of you. I will add all of you to my prayers, although I'm sure that nobody in this thread will have any issues.

I just returned from the SSA office and applied to remove the "VALID ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" stamp on my card. They said it may take up to 30 days to verify with USCIS, and they kept my old card.

Still no update on my I-485. Canuck, how long did it take for your case status to get updated?

What do you all think ?

Just wanted to get a second opinion or advice from you guys. Since our interview was recently cancelled for May 13th. Do you think I should just sit tight, relax, chill out and just wait for another interview letter from USCIS or it will be wise to call USCIS cust service to inquire why this happened and see what they have to say?

Thank you,

My timeline:

Atlanta DO

Sent complete package
(approved I-130, I-485, I-864, G325 & medical report): Jan 16th, 2008
Received by USCIS: Jan 19th
FP Notice sent: Jan 29th
RFE sent by USCIS: Feb 7th
RFE received: Feb 19th
RFE sent back to USCIS: Feb 20th
FP done: Feb 22nd
RFE sent back again using certified mail: Feb 29th
RFE received by USCIS: March 3rd
Case resumed: March 5th
IL received: March 20th
Interview Date: May 13th @ 8:30am
Interview cancelled: April 7th

Infopass

you might want to make an info pass, because that is unusual, and has nothing to do with your district office, the NBC and MSC usually takes care of that, therefore i'd go over and ask for a service request on your biometrics, tell them that you are worried that the mail might be lost, or something, usualy one only receives LUDs, after doing the Biometrics, so i would definately check with them, wont cost you anything!

csantos, thanks for the comment and suggestion. I did the infopass yesterday and asked for service on biometric but they told me they can't do anything unless it's scheduled from MSC. As for the LUP, I know it's odd but I also got RFE before they asked for biometric which is not usual again as I have seen in this forum. I was just thinking maybe they didn't ask for biometric because I entered the country 4-5 times in past 3 years and every time they took my fingerprint/picture in airport. But again that's what they do for everybody. I guess I'll wait for another week and then call CS or make another infopass.

Atlanta, I think I know how that conversation might go:

You: I'm inquiring why this interview got canceled?
Them: Well, sometimes it happens, I don't know why...
You: Can you tell me more info?
Them: No, not really, the DO deals with that.
You: [click]

So, I've heard cases where people still show up and pretending like they didn't know the interview got canceled and they got the interview, so if it is easy for you, I'd just show up and see what happens.

csantos, thanks for the comment and suggestion. I did the infopass yesterday and asked for service on biometric but they told me they can't do anything unless it's scheduled from MSC. As for the LUP, I know it's odd but I also got RFE before they asked for biometric which is not usual again as I have seen in this forum. I was just thinking maybe they didn't ask for biometric because I entered the country 4-5 times in past 3 years and every time they took my fingerprint/picture in airport. But again that's what they do for everybody. I guess I'll wait for another week and then call CS or make another infopass.

rose i pray for you, seattle is a very slow office. however i have done my FP so you should have done yours by now too. did you say that your AP got approved????

My interview notices

Atlanta, I think I know how that conversation might go:

You: I'm inquiring why this interview got canceled?
Them: Well, sometimes it happens, I don't know why...
You: Can you tell me more info?
Them: No, not really, the DO deals with that.
You: [click]

So, I've heard cases where people still show up and pretending like they didn't know the interview got canceled and they got the interview, so if it is easy for you, I'd just show up and see what happens.

gnr5,

Keep in mind that my interview letter was issued from Lee Summit, MO address both times. Original IL and this cancellation letter came from MO. You still think my local Atlanta DO had something to do with that.

Ok, if I am in town that week, I will make a point to go to the DO and show up pretending that I am there for the interview but if the file hasn't made it to Atlanta by May 13th, they will not interview us. I ran into this kind of issue when I went for my citizenship interview twice. One in Jan 2007 and second in Oct 2007.

EAD not AP

rose i pray for you, seattle is a very slow office. however i have done my FP so you should have done yours by now too. did you say that your AP got approved????

js360, thanks for your pray! I don't think not getting biometric by now has anything to do with Seattle office being slow because I applied before you and you got it. The officer at DO told me that my EAD got approved, although I don't see it online and have not got the card either!! I didn't apply for AP at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a quick question for you guys because i am getting a little confussed.
1. When you got to the interview and pass the interview, what does the stamp on the passport mean? does it mean that you can leave the country with no worries or is it just for show?
2. If you pass the interview but do not get a stamp can you still leave the country?
3. What if you pass the interview but the name check has not cleared, can you still leave the country?
3. Is the stamp the same as having a GC?

Just want to make sure i am well informed =)

Stamp = Green card YES

I had a quick question for you guys because i am getting a little confussed.
1. When you got to the interview and pass the interview, what does the stamp on the passport mean? does it mean that you can leave the country with no worries or is it just for show?
2. If you pass the interview but do not get a stamp can you still leave the country?
3. What if you pass the interview but the name check has not cleared, can you still leave the country?
3. Is the stamp the same as having a GC?

Just want to make sure i am well informed =)

Nothere2001,

Yes that stamp I-551 is actually a proof that you are officially a perm resident now. It will have your Alien number (A #) and one year validity. Yes with that stamp you can leave and enter US with no problems. This stamp serves as a GC but there are certain countries that don't allow you take a stopover or change planes with that I-551 stamp. Example is UK. Therefore if you have to go to Pakistan or India your best bet is to fly Emirates, Etihad or other cariiers which flies non-stop to middle eastern countries without having to take a stopover in Europe.
Even if you are approved, without the stamp, unfortuantely you can't travel. You just have to wait for your actual GC in the mail.

Hope I answered your questions.

Please I need your opinion. I applied for my parents I-130/I-485 on 01/28/08.
On 04/02/08 (Thanks God) both of my parents I-130 got approved and my Dad I-485 too. For my Mom RFE was send. It says that twice my mother fingerprints have been rejecting from FBI so they want a report from local police.
I did send that on 04/05/08 and they received it on 04/07/08 10.59 a.m. So far no update. PLEASE pray for me, I am getting scared. Are they going to approve or not? My Dad Green Card had his fingerprint what is going to happen with my mother? Please HELP

Stop Scaring Us Man

Please I need your opinion. I applied for my parents I-130/I-485 on 01/28/08.
On 04/02/08 (Thanks God) both of my parents I-130 got approved and my Dad I-485 too. For my Mom RFE was send. It says that twice my mother fingerprints have been rejecting from FBI so they want a report from local police.
I did send that on 04/05/08 and they received it on 04/07/08 10.59 a.m. So far no update. PLEASE pray for me, I am getting scared. Are they going to approve or not? My Dad Green Card had his fingerprint what is going to happen with my mother? Please HELP

First of all take 2 deep breaths and relax. Why you freaking out, what for? They are God forbid not putting your mom in removal proceedings alright so chill out.
If your mom's FP are going thru, whats the big deal? USCIS has recieved report from local police on Monday (2 days ago). Can you please give USCIS little time to work on it or you are the only one USCIS has to deal with. Please think about it for a minute. Give USCIS good couple of weeks and follow up with them with a phone call, but please don't expect USCIS to jump on your mom's finger prints as soon as the mail man delivered the mail.

Thank you for your answer. I am a women so is hard for me not to freak out. But you are right. I am taking a deep breath and leaving it in God’s hand.
First of all take 2 deep breaths and relax. Why you freaking out, what for? They are God forbid not putting your mom in removal proceedings alright so chill out.
If your mom's FP are going thru, whats the big deal? USCIS has recieved report from local police on Monday (2 days ago). Can you please give USCIS little time to work on it or you are the only one USCIS has to deal with. Please think about it for a minute. Give USCIS good couple of weeks and follow up with them with a phone call, but please don't expect USCIS to jump on your mom's finger prints as soon as the mail man delivered the mail.

Ok, if I am in town that week, I will make a point to go to the DO and show up pretending that I am there for the interview but if the file hasn't made it to Atlanta by May 13th, they will not interview us. I ran into this kind of issue when I went for my citizenship interview twice. One in Jan 2007 and second in Oct 2007.

Same as with jury duty ... They cannot prove that you received that cancelation letter. you never signed for receiving it ...
Give it a try buddy, you have nothing to loose. maximum you go and get some other good news for just being there :)

Thanks again

Same as with jury duty ... They cannot prove that you received that cancelation letter. you never signed for receiving it ...
Give it a try buddy, you have nothing to loose. maximum you go and get some other good news for just being there :)

You know what, you absolutely makes sense. They are not going to arrest me just for showing up so I'll give it a shot. This also gives them a reminder if the file is not there and good thing is I know this officer at Atlanta DO whom I became friends with after I was called thrice for the interview. Finally he was the one who interviewed me and cleared me. When I got my interview notice few weeks back, I called him to let him know that I will be there in the second week of May and will stop by to say hello. He was very happy to hear that. The only draw back I see is, my attorney has a copy of that cancelled apptt. They may ask me if I didn't get the letter, my attorney should have notified me anyways. I will have to lie & make up a story, hmmmmmm.

Lets hope by then I do have a real letter in my hands.

There you go. That's the spirit ... :) I'm sure you will have the right letter by then, it's still 2 months off. At the very least you know it's moving along a great speed