• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2017 DV Winners Meet Here!

No worries, we are all here to help each other, we have been getting a lot of help from previous winners and experts too, do not hesitate to ask a question.

Affidavit of support is not often asked at interview,but you should get one if you could, showing a good connection with your your host might suffice the CO.

Having a bank statement of 10k$ or more is going to cover that loop as well

Good Morning ZGREAT,

Some people do bring Bank statement (Balance) which crediting their account such amount of money few days before the interview? Don't you think that is risky? I mean I can borrow from someone and will return it after the interview! or what should the Bank statement look like?

Thanks so much to all your concerns & reply my dears. it's really helping a lot. here i come with another question. i had a boy friend but since we didn't legally marry i filled the dv and ds-260 single. now i'm six weeks pregnant & i wanted to unlock & include him to the ds-260 but since we don't have enough evidence that shows our relation before marriage we agree to proceed as such & attend the interview single. the problem here is the medical expense for delivery is very expensive in USA. if i wait here in my home country until i get deliver, the visa may expire. if i enter US pregnant it will be costly to deliver there.
my case number is 2017AF000138XX and submitted the ds-260 August 30. my delivery time is more probably to be at the middle of June. my sponsor has a good income & wanted to borrow some money but i feel uncomfortable to let them spend that amount since medical expenses are expensive. what i was thinking is to enter US 3 months before delivery and then stay there for the remaining 3 months after delivery and after six months of staying in US to come back to my home country and leave my baby with my family and then go back to US, work hard and bring my baby after i become financially strong. the problem here is the medical expenses in US for delivery. according to the information what do you suggest me from your experience? if i unlock and let it to delay until my delivery i’m in doubt Visas may exhaust. if i’m not mistaken i read around 4500 winners are selected from Ethiopia but only 4000 visas are available. i’m some what stressed and a piece of your suggestion will help a lot since you already passed this challenges and since you are living there you know everything how things look like over there. thanks again & waiting to your detail info!

Thanks so much to all your concerns & reply my dears. it's really helping a lot. here i come with another question. i had a boy friend but since we didn't legally marry i filled the dv and ds-260 single. now i'm six weeks pregnant & i wanted to unlock & include him to the ds-260 but since we don't have enough evidence that shows our relation before marriage we agree to proceed as such & attend the interview single. the problem here is the medical expense for delivery is very expensive in USA. if i wait here in my home country until i get deliver, the visa may expire. if i enter US pregnant it will be costly to deliver there.
my case number is 2017AF000138XX and submitted the ds-260 August 30. my delivery time is more probably to be at the middle of June. my sponsor has a good income & wanted to borrow some money but i feel uncomfortable to let them spend that amount since medical expenses are expensive. what i was thinking is to enter US 3 months before delivery and then stay there for the remaining 3 months after delivery and after six months of staying in US to come back to my home country and leave my baby with my family and then go back to US, work hard and bring my baby after i become financially strong. the problem here is the medical expenses in US for delivery. according to the information what do you suggest me from your experience? if i unlock and let it to delay until my delivery i’m in doubt Visas may exhaust. if i’m not mistaken i read around 4500 winners are selected from Ethiopia but only 4000 visas are available. i’m some what stressed and a piece of your suggestion will help a lot since you already passed this challenges and since you are living there you know everything how things look like over there. thanks again & waiting to your detail info!

Hi Solome!

You Can Always go back to Ethiopia to deliver the baby after you activate your immigrant visa to a permanent resident.this will be activated at the point of entry ( Airport in the US) when they stamp your visa in your passport by the i-551 Stamp endorsing it as legal Permanent Resident.there are two choices after that.

1.) go back right away(after resting for a few days) OR
2.) wait for the plastic green card to arrive(it will take 2 months Maximum) and go back after having that on your hand.

You Can Stay Out of the US For A Maximum OF 12 Months After that. i recommend returning before that happens.

The Good Thing about Giving Birth Here is that your baby will become a US Citizen By Birth Automatically.It will decrease a lot of hustle in the future for you.

Good Morning ZGREAT,

Some people do bring Bank statement (Balance) which crediting their account such amount of money few days before the interview? Don't you think that is risky? I mean I can borrow from someone and will return it after the interview! or what should the Bank statement look like?

Obviously that's a risky plan, the CO will not be fooled by that. They will clearly see the large deposit and will rightly figure out the money was dumped into the account for deceitful purpose. It's fraudulent misrepresentation which can lead to a visa denial.

AGAIN PLEASE,
dear friends,
on the ds form, present and previous address, it asks as "Have you lived anywhere other than this address since the age of sixteen?"
i have lived in four different places. all in ethiopia. in some blogs i read people saying the question is if you have lived OUT OF
Ethiopia. so am i wrong to mention different regions of ethiopia as my previous address? if so do i need to unlock the ds form?

THANK YOU

You did the right thing. You are required to list all the addresses as applicable regardless if they're in the same country or not.

You and/or the blog you've read may be getting confused with the PCC requirement which in this case will be just one from Ethiopia regardless of the different cities or regions within Ethiopia you might have lived in the past.

Hi Solome!

You Can Always go back to Ethiopia to deliver the baby after you activate your immigrant visa to a permanent resident.this will be activated at the point of entry ( Airport in the US) when they stamp your visa in your passport by the i-551 Stamp endorsing it as legal Permanent Resident.there are two choices after that.

2.) wait for the plastic green card to arrive(it will take 2 months Maximum) and go back after having that on your hand.

You Can Stay Out of the US For A Maximum OF 12 Months After that. i recommend returning before that happens.

The Good Thing about Giving Birth Here is that your baby will become a US Citizen By Birth Automatically.It will decrease a lot of hustle in the future for you.

THank you so much
Hi Solome!

@ZeaDRocKET
Hi Solome!

Thank you so much @ZeaDRocKET to your reply & info. some how my stress is relieved. i also wished to give birth in the US but the problem is how will be covered those bills. is there any public hospitals that charges lowest or is there any probability that i can get financial support that i can pay later while working? thanks again!

THank you so much

@ZeaDRocKET

Thank you so much @ZeaDRocKET to your reply & info. some how my stress is relieved. i also wished to give birth in the US but the problem is how will be covered those bills. is there any public hospitals that charges lowest or is there any probability that i can get financial support that i can pay later while working? thanks again!

I dont really know about the health sector that much.i think this question is better suited for @ZGREAT since he works in that area.

Obviously that's a risky plan, the CO will not be fooled by that. They will clearly see the large deposit and will rightly figure out the money was dumped into the account for deceitful purpose. It's fraudulent misrepresentation which can lead to a visa denial.
Correct! it is better to try get the AOS. This plan is too risky.

I dont really know about the health sector that much.i think this question is better suited for @ZGREAT since he works in that area.
Hey guys!

Okay let us see this in two directions,
before birth and after birth.

You already knew it is going to be expensive to have a delivery here, but the fact that your kid will be a citizen right away will weigh out any price paid, there are city hospitals which will accept Medicaid or medicare hospitals with very affordable copay( amount paid from patients poket) after giving birth comes the big challenge, you are here by urself, working while taking care of a little kid is nearly impossible. even if you find some one to babysit your kid, it will cost you more than you can afford. it all depends on the kinda host you have.

Here is my two cents, deliver the baby here at any cost. go back home as soon as you feel comfortable i would say in a Month, comeback here work hard and bring your loved ones.

Best of luck for every thing.

THank you so much

@ZeaDRocKET

Charged fee varies from hospital to hospital, and State to State. Since you've already identified the State/city you'll be heading to, discuss this with your host.

Hey guys!

Okay let us see this in two directions,
before birth and after birth.

You already knew it is going to be expensive to have a delivery here, but the fact that your kid will be a citizen right away will weigh out any price paid, there are city hospitals which will accept Medicaid or medicare hospitals with very affordable copay( amount paid from patients poket) after giving birth comes the big challenge, you are here by urself, working while taking care of a little kid is nearly impossible. even if you find some one to babysit your kid, it will cost you more than you can afford. it all depends on the kinda host you have.

Here is my two cents, deliver the baby here at any cost. go back home as soon as you feel comfortable i would say in a Month, comeback here work hard and bring your loved ones.

Best of luck for every thing.
@ZGREAT, Thanks so much to your reply & info and i also i agree with your idea. i tried to explain it in the previous post that i want to come back to my home country after delivery to stay for months until my kid becomes strong and then to leave the baby with family then go back to US and then work hard & bring my beloved ones as you said. but will my pregnancy have any negative impact for the interview result? the CO may think as you said "working while taking care of a little kid is nearly impossible" and they may not grant me the visa since they may think i will become a public charge. of course, i'm preparing affidavit support from family & friends living there. so- do you think i'm safe & will be granted the visa if i fulfill the other requirements?

@ZGREAT, Thanks so much to your reply & info and i also i agree with your idea. i tried to explain it in the previous post that i want to come back to my home country after delivery to stay for months until my kid becomes strong and then to leave the baby with family then go back to US and then work hard & bring my beloved ones as you said. but will my pregnancy have any negative impact for the interview result? the CO may think as you said "working while taking care of a little kid is nearly impossible" and they may not grant me the visa since they may think i will become a public charge. of course, i'm preparing affidavit support from family & friends living there. so- do you think i'm safe & will be granted the visa if i fulfill the other requirements?
Pregnancy have noting to do with your process, the only thing the CO could ask is where his Dad is, have a tangible answer for that and you will be okay.

Hi Everyone i have a question! from the look of the VB, i think i will be up for interview around feb.so my question is "" Is it ok if I ask My Sponsor To Send Me The Form I-134, Affidavit of Support Now"" ??like is it subject to any expiration or renewal??

Hi Everyone i have a question! from the look of the VB, i think i will be up for interview around feb.so my question is "" Is it ok if I ask My Sponsor To Send Me The Form I-134, Affidavit of Support Now"" ??like is it subject to any expiration or renewal??
Hi!

Affidavit of support will be good for a year, so you can get it ready now.

Best of luck!

Hey friends how have you been? Does Donald Trump's elect as president bring any effect to the DV programme. pls share the info what you have. and what are his policy towards immigrants? shall we continue with the process or what? waiting your suggestions.
thanks!

Last edited:
Hi!

Affidavit of support will be good for a year, so you can get it ready now.

Best of luck!

No, don't get it ready so early. The form needs to be accompanied by up to date income & tax info - so get it ready nearer the time.

Hey friends how have you been? Does Donald Trump's elect as president bring any effect to the DV programme. pls share the info what you have. and what are his policy towards immigrants? shall we continue with the process or what? waiting your suggestions.
thanks!

It won't have any immediate effect. DV2017 will continue, as will DV2018 and most likely DV2019. The earliest possible ending of the program would be for DV2020, but it cannot be ended by the president alone, they would need to change the laws. For DV2017/DV2018 there might be increased emphasis placed on security/background checks, which might slow some things down but that is all.

I am Ethiopian, my case no is AF 248**
submitted D's 260 on may 28th
Unlocked re-submit on on July 27th
So pleas when will my 2nd letter come from your experience and according to now suction?

I am Ethiopian, my case no is AF 248**
submitted D's 260 on may 28th
Unlocked re-submit on on July 27th
So pleas when will my 2nd letter come from your experience and according to now suction?
We have said it a couple of times, you will be current in between may and July. depending on the speed case numbers become current.