• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Hello friends
I have one ques. I am registered for DHL with out my surname is that a problem?
Our Grand Father's name which they call Surname (Family name) is the most important name for DV or when it is outside Ethiopia in general. Assuming you are in Ethiopia, you can ask DHL Office on one of the numbers below if they have something to say.
01 1662 1600
01 1661 4281
01 1613 569

I have one question regarding translation. I have a document which I need to translate to English. In the instruction page of the USA Visa, it says we should bring a certified translation document if it is not in English or the oficial language of the country where the interview is scheduled. Is the document certified translated document, If I got the seal of the Embassy of the country where the document is on the translated document?

@Fikir12 ''certified translation document'' in our case is defined here -- http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html . So any translator that does so is okay . Some US consulates give list of translators' addresses as an info , not confirming of course the professionality of the translations in advance ; no sure about Addis's US embassy though. I hope you know already that lots of translation offices reside at AA Stadium .
So, I dont think you should go as far as certifying translations by an embassy . In my case , I have my documents in Italian translated to German in a mere translation office that could certify its translation , no additional certification from any other body.

I have one question regarding translation. I have a document which I need to translate to English. In the instruction page of the USA Visa, it says we should bring a certified translation document if it is not in English or the oficial language of the country where the interview is scheduled. Is the document certified translated document, If I got the seal of the Embassy of the country where the document is on the translated document?

Hi @Fikir12, YES, if you can get a seal of the embassy of the country where your document is issued on the translation, that should be fine (authentication at embassies serve equivalent to our authentication at MoFA for local documents). Some years back (not for DV purpose), I have experience doing such authentication at French Embassy in Addis, they first gave me list of translation houses they trust and it was then easy to get the seal on the back of the translation. I have read @ethSelam 's experience but I have a bit of doubt if the trust level for translation houses in Addis and in Europe is the same in the eyes of the US embassy.

Hi @Fikir12, YES, if you can get a seal of the embassy of the country where your document is issued on the translation, that should be fine (authentication at embassies serve equivalent to our authentication at MoFA for local documents). Some years back (not for DV purpose), I have experience doing such authentication at French Embassy in Addis, they first gave me list of translation houses they trust and it was then easy to get the seal on the back of the translation. I have read @ethSelam 's experience but I have a bit of doubt if the trust level for translation houses in Addis and in Europe is the same in the eyes of the US embassy.

Thank you very much for your information @MB1xxx and @ethSelam. Today I went to the translator that I know and they told me that the certified translation is the one that has the seal and signature of the translator. They told me it will be fine and maximum the embassy will call the "wulina masireja" and will ask about the authorization of the translation office. I am thinking to ask the embassy regarding the list of translators that if the embassy has and also regarding the certified translation. I hope I will get some information which will help me.

hello forum mates; I am trying to register for DHL and it asks to enter a surname. A surname means family name as I got on oxford dictionary but it was said in this forum that it means. grand father's name but family namee can be father name I am not clear with this thing

Last edited:
hello forum mates; I am trying to register for DHL and it asks to enter a surname. A surname means family name as I got on oxford dictionary but it was said in this forum that it means. grand father's name but family namee can be father name I am not clear with this thing

What did you put down for "surname" on the entry form/DS260? Use that.

@abi328 the concept of Grand Father's name as Surname works only For Ethiopians. If you are not Ethiopian, please ignore this information. If you are Ethiopian, you know that we don't have or use Surname/Family Name locally. However, since last 8 years or so the Citizenship Office puts our grand father's name as our surname without even asking us (you see my surname and that of my spouse and my children are all different). The most important for you is the surname you have on your passport and naturally, as @SusieQQQ said, it should also much the one you used for DS260. For your question, surname for DHL should match the ones on passport/DS260.

On Amharic format not asks to enter surname it says name & fathers name only with example u can see the format.

@abi328 the concept of Grand Father's name as Surname works only For Ethiopians. If you are not Ethiopian, please ignore this information. If you are Ethiopian, you know that we don't have or use Surname/Family Name locally. However, since last 8 years or so the Citizenship Office puts our grand father's name as our surname without even asking us (you see my surname and that of my spouse and my children are all different). The most important for you is the surname you have on your passport and naturally, as @SusieQQQ said, it should also much the one you used for DS260. For your question, surname for DHL should match the ones on passport/DS260.

Simplest form. Surname = family name = lastname.

Some countries have a different understanding...

Simplest form. Surname = family name = lastname.

Some countries have a different understanding...
Modification for Ethiopians:
Surname = family name = lastname= grand father's name
@Britsimon we don't have/use all the three in Ethiopia and that is why it became a topic of discussion.

Modification for Ethiopians:
Surname = family name = lastname= grand father's name
@Britsimon we don't have/use all the three in Ethiopia and that is why it became a topic of discussion.

You might want to re-read Simon's post. I believe what he's trying to get across is simply the fact that SURNAME means what some people consider to be either their family name, or their last name or their grand father's name.

You might want to re-read Simon's post. I believe what he's trying to get across is simply the fact that SURNAME means what some people consider to be either their family name, or their last name or their grand father's name.
I don't see what to re-read mom, in fact if you re-read my post, I didn't oppose what Simon said but simply complemented because I haven't seen "grand father's name" in the equation:) Please don't forget that the context of our discussion is about "grand father's name".